4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2008 7:21 PM by Newsgroup_User

MPEG Advance Video Playback

mikem75 Level 1
      Hi - I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a kiosk application which plays mpeg videos through the MPEG Advance xtra. The kiosk has been working fine until a few days ago when for some reason it has stopped playing the audio from the videos. The video portion plays completely fine.

The Kiosk was authored with MX2004 10.1 and is running on Vista. I can play the videos outside of the kiosk application (in quicktime and windows media player) and all is well. I can even play the kiosk application on my VISTA laptop with full sound and great lookin' pictures.

I suspect, something in VISTA is grabbing control of the audio playback from the application, but for the life of me cannot figure out what is going on. I have tried compatibility mode - running in WinXP SP2 and running in administrator mode, but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: MPEG Advance Video Playback
          Level 7
          Outside of someone suggesting a known issue with Vista I would create a
          projector with all the attributes of your kiosk app without any of the media
          except one video and try running that on that computer.

Craig

"mikem75" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fs1uq4$pis$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi - I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a kiosk application which
          > plays
          > mpeg videos through the MPEG Advance xtra. The kiosk has been working
          > fine
          > until a few days ago when for some reason it has stopped playing the audio
          > from
          > the videos. The video portion plays completely fine.
          >
          > The Kiosk was authored with MX2004 10.1 and is running on Vista. I can
          > play
          > the videos outside of the kiosk application (in quicktime and windows
          > media
          > player) and all is well. I can even play the kiosk application on my
          > VISTA
          > laptop with full sound and great lookin' pictures.
          >
          > I suspect, something in VISTA is grabbing control of the audio playback
          > from
          > the application, but for the life of me cannot figure out what is going
          > on. I
          > have tried compatibility mode - running in WinXP SP2 and running in
          > administrator mode, but to no avail.
          >
          > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          >

• 2. Re: MPEG Advance Video Playback
            mikem75 Level 1
            Thanks for that, gave it a try. New test movie, only one sprite - an mpeg video imported through mpeg advance. No lingo or any other instructions, just the video on the stage. Video plays fine, just no sound.

Anyone have any suggestions? This is an ACER computer, however the test project plays fine on my ACER laptop, full sound and video.

Any other suggestions?
            • 3. Re: MPEG Advance Video Playback
              mikem75 Level 1
              Well, I think I've solved my problem, but here's the answer for anyone who might run into this in the future. In VISTA's various flavours, some contain mpeg2 decoders and some do not. In my case, the kiosk machine is running Vista Business while my laptop is running Vista Ultimate. Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium ship with an mpeg2 decoder, while Vista Business (and Vista Home) do not. That's the reason it played fine on the laptop and not on the kiosk. Once I purchased and installed an mpeg2 decoder for Windows Media Player on the Vista Business machine all of my videos played flawlessly with full sound.

The curious thing is that the system ran for 4 or 5 months happily playing mpeg2 files with no problems and without (apparently) an mpeg2 decoder.. Why, all of a sudden it decided to stop playing the sound one day I have no idea. Better yet, why did it play the files initially????

Thanks to Womp and anyone else who gave some thought to this!
              • 4. Re: MPEG Advance Video Playback
                Level 7
                If you had stated at the outset that you were playing MPEG2 video
                someone would have identified your issue much earlier. Tabuleiro have an
                entire MPEG Advance technote dedicated to this:
                < http://xtras.tabuleiro.com/support/technotes/mpeg_advance/ma007.htm>