3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 11:57 AM by johnrellis

LR - Photo Booth?

philipW99 Level 1

Why does Lightroom insert xmp tags setting my photos with a category of "Photo Booth"? This is in both jpg files and sidecar files for raw images.

I'm trying to figure out how to convert a 90K+ ACDSee database to lightroom. As part of that process I'm trying to see how the import to Lightroom actually works and for that I imported a single folder with about 1000 images in it and then took a look at the metadata and saw that in every case "Photo Booth" had been inserted as a category. vis:

<lr:hierarchicalSubject>

<rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li>Photo Booth</rdf:li>

</rdf:Bag>

</lr:hierarchicalSubject>

Does anyone know what this is about?

Thanks for your help.

Philip

P.S. "Phot Booth" is not a category, or anything else, I've used in ACDSee

• 1. Re: LR - Photo Booth?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

In LR, "Photo Booth" is called a keyword (or keyword tag).   Two possibilities:

1. "Photo Booth" exists in the photos' metadata prior to importing into LR. It could be stored in the fields IPTC:Keywords, XMP:Subject, or XMP:HierarchicalSubject.  The free ExifTool utilty is the most authoritative tool for examining file metadata.  This command line will show you all the fields in a file:

exiftool -a -G filename

2. You have a metadata preset being applied during Import that assigns the keyword to the imported photos. To troubleshoot this, do an import of fresh photos never-before-imported into LR, setting Apply During Import > Metadata to None:

• 2. Re: LR - Photo Booth?
            philipW99 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I've had a trawl around the data and discovered that "Photo Booth" was a tag in IPTC keywords. Not sure where it came from but most likely something I used about 5 years ago and thought I had got rid of. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: LR - Photo Booth?
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Glad you identified the problem.