0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2018 10:52 PM by emile56169834

Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS color cast vignette

emile56169834

The other day I was editing some photos that I shot with my Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G on a Sony a7rIII when I noticed an ugly color cast in the area corrected for vignetting. I've a attached the edited image here:

Dropbox - DSC05628.jpg

The editing I did was nothing extreme, the shot was a bit underexposed so I did +2.05 exposure and +38 contast to add back some detail taken away by the fog. I also corrected white balance. Finally, I checked the lens correction box. However, now I could see the ugly bluish color cast I'm talking about.

Googling around a bit, people attributed this to artifacts caused by the in-camera "Shading Correction" option being turned on and that correcting the same thing in Lightroom instead would not give you this artifact. So I tried disabling this and enabling lens correction only in Lightroom instead. However, this instead gave me the problem that lens correction in Lightroom did not remove all the vignetting, it only removed it partially. I tried this also for the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 and sure enough, it seems like the lens profiles in Lightroom are designed for in-camera shading correction to be enabled.

Other information I've gathered online is that neither Distortion Correction or Chromatic Abberration correction affects the RAW file saved on the card but the Shading Correction actually seemes to write already corrected data into the RAW - that is, it manipulates the RAW data.

So my question is:

• Are Lightroom lens profiles for Sony lenses designed with the assumption that in-camera vignetting correctinon is already applied?
      • Does anyone know the exact cause of the ugly color cast with the Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G and how to avoid it?
      • Is there a way in Lightroom to use an alternative profile for Sony lenses that fully correct for vignetting if the in-camera Shading Correction is disabled?