3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2018 11:59 AM by Mo Moolla

Don´t upgrade applications once a year - Same chaos every year

Averdahl Adobe Community Professional

This is a suggestion i made today to Adobe. If you agree, click the link and vote for it!

Don´t upgrade applications once a year - Same chaos every year – Adobe video & audio apps

This is what i wrote:

I think that the full upgrades are released to often. One .0-verison each year is too often and has proved to be a very problematic procedure each year. Pr CC 2018 was problematic when it was released fall 2017 but today it has received several patches and works fine today.

Approx three months after the last update to Pr CC 2018 it is time for the brand new full release of Pr CC 2019 and we are back to square one once again with crashes, sometimes it won´t even launch, new bugs, etc.

We don´t need a full version each year, it would be enough to have a full version alive for two to three years and during that time release patches to fix bugs and stability issues and maybe new featrures along that path. The applications are so mature today so there is no need for "exciting versions with revolutionary features" releases of not-ready-for-prime-time-software.

During the Creative Suite years each full version had to be really good, otherwise it wouldn´t sell as good and it got consequences if it did not sell as expected. This was good since the goal to release a good version was high. Today the money flows in to Adobe no matter what, so the goal to release a good stable version is not as important anymore and that certainly reflects what we see today, new versions that are not near ready for prime time. It dosen´t simply matter anymore since Adobe could always recommend user to downgrade.

I think all software companies do the same thing, release new versions too often and everytime there are issues in the new version that should have been sorted out in the beta stage. But it seems more important to release "something" than to wait until the software is ready and really release something good and usable out of the box.

No one demands brand new versions every year. No one demands new and exiting features that don´t work as expected at launch.

What people demand is stable software that has been thoroughly beta tested for a long time before release.

Bottom line:
      Just don´t release new buggy versions each year since there is no need to do it. A new verison every two years is enough, if it has been thoroughly beta tested that is.

<end>

• 1. Re: Don´t upgrade applications once a year - Same chaos every year
          Mo Moolla Adobe Community Professional

Hi Averdahl

As I mentioned in a few threads one cannot apportion blame to Adobe solely for bugs.

If you were a Beta tester you would understand that there are tons of bugs that get ironed out before final release.

Please note that while Adobe is launching a new version Apple is updating its OS, Microsoft is doing updates, Nvidia is releasing new drivers etc etc. These all impact on Adobes software so to keep it all together is a monumental task.

If anything Adobe needs to be applauded for giving users a product that tries to keep up with its end users ever increasing demand to keep abreast with the latest tech.

As with all new releases there are bound to be issues. Apple has it. Microsoft has it. Maxon has it. The Foundry has it. Pretty much all major software developers go through this. It does eventually simmer down and stabilise. The rule of thumb is NOT to get too excited at launch date. Wait it out a while. If you aren't in a hurry to use the new features then wait.

Mo

• 2. Re: Don´t upgrade applications once a year - Same chaos every year
            Averdahl Adobe Community Professional

Correct, but those updates can be released as smaller patches instead of releasing full versions that always has major issues. Patches can create problems as well, but .0-versions are far worse. I know that all software has bugs but it is frustrating that software developers release full versions too often, compared to how it used to be.

I have been a beta tester so i am aware of the process but i disagree that there are tons of bugs that get ironed out before final release. Hence the urge to focus more on those bugs before release by not releasing major version too often. The fact that so many apps are released at the same time on a schedule is a problem as well since there must be compromises. Compromises do often lead to problems along the road.

I am still on CC 2018 and do all my work in CC 2018, but it is frustating that CC 2019 throwed errors in the .0 version that required a .0.1-patch to correct it and that it simply fails to launch though i am on a administrator account. I see this on three computers. This used to happen during beta...

• 3. Re: Don´t upgrade applications once a year - Same chaos every year
              Mo Moolla Adobe Community Professional

Point noted. I am running CC2017, 18 and 19 on 2 Mac Pros (2 on Sierra and 1 on Mojave). So far all stable beside a few color issues on the Mac with Mojave on.

Lets see what the new patches bring with them