6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2008 8:21 AM by sean1rockin

How do I get these hotspots to work!

sean1rockin
      I am trying to do 2 things. Firstly I have a banner in fireworks for my site, when previewing in browser, the hotspots work fine. But when I upload the image to my site, the hotspots on the image don’t work.

I’ve also created an e-shot in fireworks, same thing, preview in browser hot spots work, when sending the email, the hotspots don't appear in the recipients email.

Please can anyone help?
      Cheers!
        • 1. Re: How do I get these hotspots to work!
          Level 7
          sean1rockin wrote:
          > I am trying to do 2 things. Firstly I have a banner in fireworks for my site,
          > when previewing in browser, the hotspots work fine. But when I upload the image
          > to my site, the hotspots on the image don?t work.

Are you saving the file or exporting it?

> I?ve also created an e-shot in fireworks, same thing, preview in browser hot
          > spots work, when sending the email, the hotspots don't appear in the recipients
          > email.

The best way to handle that kind of email is to link to the banner on a
          server. I don't know how it is done, but have no doubt someone will be
          able to answer that question for you soon.

--
          Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: How do I get these hotspots to work!
            Dave Hogue Level 2
            Linda's right - for a clickable banner to work in email, it needs to be an HTML email where the email contains the HTML code and the graphics reside on a server (such as your web site's server) so that the email client can retrieve the graphics.

Unfortunately, the way hotspots work in browsers is different than the way hotspots work in HTML emails, because most email clients do not execute javascript, so an HTML email needs to be build differently than a web site.

There are some great resources online for crafting HTML emails (and the issues of compatibility across email clients), so a quick search on Google for how to create HTML emails will provide a plethora of references.
            • 3. Re: How do I get these hotspots to work!
              Level 7
              > Unfortunately, the way hotspots work in browsers is different than the way
              > hotspots work in HTML emails, because most email clients do not execute
              > javascript, so an HTML email needs to be build differently than a web
              > site.

Not so - hotspots don't depend on javascript, and will work OK in an HTML
              email. But all links must be absolute links to files hosted on a server
              somewhere.

> so an HTML email needs to be build differently than a web site.

Certainly true....

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"Dave Hogue" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gfi8cg$bas$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Linda's right - for a clickable banner to work in email, it needs to be an
              > HTML
              > email where the email contains the HTML code and the graphics reside on a
              > server (such as your web site's server) so that the email client can
              > retrieve
              > the graphics.
              >
              > Unfortunately, the way hotspots work in browsers is different than the way
              > hotspots work in HTML emails, because most email clients do not execute
              > javascript, so an HTML email needs to be build differently than a web
              > site.
              >
              > There are some great resources online for crafting HTML emails (and the
              > issues
              > of compatibility across email clients), so a quick search on Google for
              > how to
              > create HTML emails will provide a plethora of references.
              >
              >

• 4. Re: How do I get these hotspots to work!
                sean1rockin Level 1
                Cheers Ive got the email sorted now!
                Email's aside,

I am creating a banner for my website. I have saved the file (tryed many different extensions) but now realised I probably should have exported it. What is the best way to get this image on the header of my webpage. Do I have to export it to html? How would I then incorportate this into the header of my webpage, with the hotspots still working.

Cheers
                Sean
                • 5. Re: How do I get these hotspots to work!
                  Level 7
                  Export it as GIF/JPG/PNG depending on the requirements of the graphics in
                  the banner.

Place it on the page in DW. Define your hotspots in DW.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

"sean1rockin" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gfk64k$21k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Cheers Ive got the email sorted now!
                  > Email's aside,
                  >
                  > I am creating a banner for my website. I have saved the file (tryed many
                  > different extensions) but now realised I probably should have exported it.
                  > What
                  > is the best way to get this image on the header of my webpage. Do I have
                  > to
                  > export it to html? How would I then incorportate this into the header of
                  > my
                  > webpage, with the hotspots still working.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Sean
                  >

• 6. Re: How do I get these hotspots to work!
                    sean1rockin Level 1
                    All sorted, cheers guys!