1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2008 12:27 PM by stephen_

Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts

Giacom8 Level 1
      I just downloaded and installed Director 11 on Mac OS X 10.5.2.
      Double clicking on a 14000+ lines movie script where I have all my functions takes 10 second on a 8 core Xeon MacPro.
      Other tests I made:
      - MX 2004 Mac PPC: the same script on my G5 quad opens instantly
      - MX 2004 Mac Intel: the same script on my MacPro (with Rosetta emulation layer) opens in 2 seconds
      - 11.0 Win: the same script on Windows XP SP2 (Pentium 4, 2.8GHz) takes more than 40 seconds to pop up
      - MX 2004 Win: XP SP2, same PC as above, 3 seconds.

Turning off auto format and auto coloring halves the times, but on MX 2004 I had them turned on.

I tried to leave the script open as a tab, but every time I select it I have to wait 10 seconds on a dual 4 core Xeon...

I need Universal Binary Projectors, but Director 11 is UNUSABLE: I know that I can break the movie script member into smaller scripts, but I don't want to manage/keep up to date global variables in every script member.

Anyone having projects with big scripts? Let me know.
        • 1. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
          Level 7
          > but I don't want to
          > manage/keep up to date global variables in every script member.

I realize that this isn't your main issue but it would be easier to break up
          your scripts if you use one global list variable. You can use all the same
          names for your variables as the properties of the list.

Old list

global gScore, gTarget, gStartTime, gEndTime

gScore = 0
          gTarget = 0
          etc.

new list

global g

on StartMovie
          g [#score] = 0
          g [#target] = 0
          etc.

Of course, you might want to avoid keywords like starttime.

I find it such a time saver to just have global g at the top of each script
          (whether I access those globals or not in that script) then not have to
          worry about whether my list is complete.

Personal preference...

Craig

• 2. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
            Level 7
            It's funny, it do that too, even down to the name of the variable (g).

But I have always wondered if there was any performance penalty for
            doing so. Is performance affected by how many properties you add to the
            list, or how big there values are?

I've never noticed any issues, but does any know for sure? It is very
            convenient. Also, I would never have 1400 lines in a single script
            member, I tend to put one handler per script member, or at least only
            have related scripts in a single member.
            • 3. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
              Level 7
              Always nice to find a partner in crime ;)

The issue of list size and performance has come up many times in these
              forums. My testing has never related to gaming where performance hits can
              be disasterous but relative to any project I've every done list access speed
              has not been an issue.

Craig

"Dave C" <no@no.com> wrote in message
              news:fsdssl$t09$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > It's funny, it do that too, even down to the name of the variable (g).
              >
              > But I have always wondered if there was any performance penalty for doing
              > so. Is performance affected by how many properties you add to the list, or
              > how big there values are?
              >
              > I've never noticed any issues, but does any know for sure? It is very
              > convenient. Also, I would never have 1400 lines in a single script member,
              > I tend to put one handler per script member, or at least only have related
              > scripts in a single member.

• 4. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                Giacom8 Level 1
                quote:

womp:
                I realize that this isn't your main issue but it would be easier to break up
                your scripts if you use one global list variable. You can use all the same
                names for your variables as the properties of the list.

Nice idea Craig. I'll consider it, but it has some drawbacks: I have 60 global variables, and some of them are property lists: I'll have to evaluate benefits and difficulties of such solution.

The project is HUGE and I think that debugging the variable name changes in about 20000 (twenty thousands) lines of code because Director 11 can't handle scripts that Director MX 2004 handled without problems is a bit frustrating - my customer won't pay me hours of work for this.

quote:

Dave C:
                Also, I would never have 1400 lines in a single script member, I tend to put one handler per script member, or at least only have related scripts in a single member.

14000 not 1400 :-) even worse...
                This movie script contains 180 custom functions that must be accessed from everywhere in the movie. I don't think that splitting my movie script in 180 movie scripts is a good solution!

quote:

But I have always wondered if there was any performance penalty for doing so. Is performance affected by how many properties you add to the list, or how big there values are?

The one-global-variable solution could be interesting, I'll have to test the speed but I don't think that it will be an issue. More time to spend...

Conclusion: I think that Director 11 will soon need an update, bugs will pop up quite often as the developers convert the movies to the new version. Director hung 4 times just to convert the project I'm workin on (1 main file and 7 other files).
                • 5. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                  Level 7
                  What a project...

Of course, if you did decide to break them up you could always write some
                  code that breaks up the scripts automatically by looking for the "on"'s and
                  the "end"'s in the scripts. Of course you could add all sorts of conditions
                  to break it up in blocks that work for you.

It's amazing that the performance on the Mac is so much different...go Mac.
                  Now I know why Apple stock has recovered a bit in the past week.

Craig

"Giacom8" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:fse0nh$3rf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >
                  quote:

womp:
                  > I realize that this isn't your main issue but it would be easier to break
                  > up
                  > your scripts if you use one global list variable. You can use all the
                  > same
                  > names for your variables as the properties of the list.
                  >

>
                  > Nice idea Craig. I'll consider it, but it has some drawbacks: I have 60
                  > global
                  > variables, and some of them are property lists: I'll have to evaluate
                  > benefits
                  > and difficulties of such solution.
                  >
                  > The project is HUGE and I think that debugging the variable name changes
                  > in
                  > about 20000 (twenty thousands) lines of code because Director 11 can't
                  > handle
                  > scripts that Director MX 2004 handled without problems is a bit
                  > frustrating -
                  > my customer won't pay me hours of work for this.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  quote:

Dave C:
                  > Also, I would never have 1400 lines in a single script member, I tend to
                  > put
                  > one handler per script member, or at least only have related scripts in a
                  > single member.

>
                  > 14000 not 1400 :-) even worse...
                  > This movie script contains 180 custom functions that must be accessed from
                  > everywhere in the movie. I don't think that splitting my movie script in
                  > 180
                  > movie scripts is a good solution!
                  >
                  >
                  quote:

But I have always wondered if there was any performance penalty for
                  > doing
                  > so. Is performance affected by how many properties you add to the list, or
                  > how
                  > big there values are?

>
                  > The one-global-variable solution could be interesting, I'll have to test
                  > the
                  > speed but I don't think that it will be an issue. More time to spend...
                  >
                  >
                  > Conclusion: I think that Director 11 will soon need an update, bugs will
                  > pop
                  > up quite often as the developers convert the movies to the new version.
                  > Director hung 4 times just to convert the project I'm workin on (1 main
                  > file
                  > and 7 other files).
                  >

• 6. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                    Level 7

news:fse0nh$3rf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    quote:

womp:
                    > I realize that this isn't your main issue but it would be easier to
                    > break up
                    > your scripts if you use one global list variable. You can use all
                    > the same
                    > names for your variables as the properties of the list.
                    >

>
                    > Nice idea Craig. I'll consider it, but it has some drawbacks: I have
                    > 60 global
                    > variables, and some of them are property lists: I'll have to
                    > evaluate benefits
                    > and difficulties of such solution.
                    >
                    > The project is HUGE and I think that debugging the variable name
                    > changes in
                    > about 20000 (twenty thousands) lines of code because Director 11
                    > can't handle
                    > scripts that Director MX 2004 handled without problems is a bit
                    > frustrating -
                    > my customer won't pay me hours of work for this.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    quote:

Dave C:
                    > Also, I would never have 1400 lines in a single script member, I
                    > tend to put
                    > one handler per script member, or at least only have related scripts
                    > in a
                    > single member.

>
                    > 14000 not 1400 :-) even worse...
                    > This movie script contains 180 custom functions that must be
                    > accessed from
                    > everywhere in the movie. I don't think that splitting my movie
                    > script in 180
                    > movie scripts is a good solution!
                    >
                    >
                    quote:

But I have always wondered if there was any performance penalty
                    > for doing
                    > so. Is performance affected by how many properties you add to the
                    > list, or how
                    > big there values are?

>
                    > The one-global-variable solution could be interesting, I'll have to
                    > test the
                    > speed but I don't think that it will be an issue. More time to
                    > spend...
                    >
                    >
                    > Conclusion: I think that Director 11 will soon need an update, bugs
                    > will pop
                    > up quite often as the developers convert the movies to the new
                    > version.
                    > Director hung 4 times just to convert the project I'm workin on (1
                    > main file
                    > and 7 other files).
                    >

Hi,
                    Just wondering why you would need anything like 180 custom functions?
                    I have done some big projects, but never came close to anything like
                    that. Most of the time you can rewrite your scripts so they serve more
                    than one unique purpose.
                    Of course I am not counting the standard sprite scripts for
                    interaction.

14.000 lines of code in one scipt member sounds complety "out of here"
                    to me. How can you find what you are looking for in there? Must be a
                    maintenance nightmare for sure! Not to mention code re-usability...
                    Surely for your own sanity and the next developers sanity, a litle bit
                    of organising could be good.

Why did you switch in the first place? Just curious.

Richard.

• 7. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                      stephen_
                      I've had script editor issues on my iMac with MX2004 on large scripts. I find it way faster to just edit them externally in TextEdit. Especially if I am doing stuff like copy/pasting large chunks I get a huge lag every time while it updates the formatting and it's crashed often enough for me to give up on it.

As far as globals go there is a global object. I haven't used it myself except to log my globals to a text file while I'm debugging a projector but it could be useful.

ie.
                      ( the globals ).setAProp( #test_prop, "Hello" )
                      put ( the globals ).getAProp( #test_prop )
                      -- "Hello"

• 8. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                        stephen_ Level 1
                        quote:

Originally posted by: LOOPING_Richard

I have an ongoing project with over 1100 custom handlers so I don't find 180 excessive at all.

-- "Number of handlers 2951"
                        -- "Number of movie handlers 1175"
                        -- "Number of behaviours 213"
                        -- "Number of movie scripts 1056"
                        -- "Number of parent scripts 158"
                        -- "Number of lines of code 249350"
                        -- "Most number of lines in a script 13078"

• 9. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                          Giacom8 Level 1
                          quote:

Richard:
                          Hi,
                          I have done some big projects, but never came close to anything like
                          that.

Maybe your project is not so big :-)
                          quote:

Most of the time you can rewrite your scripts so they serve more than one unique purpose.

They do. Most of my functions take parameters to serve more purposes.
                          quote:

14.000 lines of code in one scipt member sounds complety "out of here" to me.

Well, I am developing an application, and 14.000 lines is just one of three movies scripts, totalling about 20.000 lines and 200 functions. Nothing strange to me!

quote:

Steve:
                          I have an ongoing project with over 1100 custom handlers so I don't find 180 excessive at all.

Aaaargh! you won the functions contest! :-)
                          What's your project about? Mine is a custom application that's between Adobe InDesign and Apple iPhoto...
                          quote:

I find it way faster to just edit them externally in TextEdit.

I thought about it but I don't like to loose syntax checking.

I don't know if you have tried Director 11, script editing has some new and interesting additions (a panel with all behaviours and functions), but performance is unacceptable on large scripts.

Giacomo
                          • 10. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                            Level 7

news:fsfug0$9s3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >
                            quote:

Richard:
                            > Hi,
                            > Just wondering why you would need anything like 180 custom
                            > functions?
                            > I have done some big projects, but never came close to anything like
                            > that.

> Maybe your project is not so big :-)
                            >
                            quote:

Most of the time you can rewrite your scripts so they serve more
                            > than one
                            > unique purpose.

> They do. Most of my functions take parameters to serve more
                            > purposes.
                            >
                            quote:

14.000 lines of code in one scipt member sounds complety "out of
                            > here" to
                            > me.

> Well, I am developing an application, and 14.000 lines is just one
                            > of three
                            > movies scripts, totalling about 20.000 lines and 200 functions.
                            > Nothing strange
                            > to me!
                            >
                            >
                            quote:

Steve:
                            > I have an ongoing project with over 1100 custom handlers so I don't
                            > find 180
                            > excessive at all.

> Aaaargh! you won the functions contest! :-)
                            > What's your project about? Mine is a custom application that's
                            > between Adobe
                            > InDesign and Apple iPhoto...
                            >
                            quote:

I find it way faster to just edit them externally in
                            > TextEdit.

> I thought about it but I don't like to loose syntax checking.
                            >
                            > I don't know if you have tried Director 11, script editing has some
                            > new and
                            > interesting additions (a panel with all behaviours and functions),
                            > but
                            > performance is unacceptable on large scripts.
                            >
                            > Giacomo
                            >

Sorry guys,
                            but you are definately doing something wrong here.
                            I really think you should be organising that code better, just judging
                            from the numbers you gave and the way you describe it.
                            1100 handlers... what do they do? Do you ever clean them up?
                            Consolidate?
                            Optimise?

Paste a few of them, I'd love to see.

Richard.

• 11. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                              Level 7
                              It is hard to fathom why one would need 1100 handlers. My guess is that
                              there is a lot of redundant code that could me reused, but what do I know?
                              • 12. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                stephen_ Level 1
                                Yeah there is a bit of dead wood in there. Probably about 75-80% of those are active. If I ever get the time to consolidate I'll let you know :)

• 13. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                  Giacom8 Level 1
                                  @LOOPING_Richard:
                                  You are judging the work of other people without knowing anything about their projects.
                                  You talk about "code organisation" but you quote an entire post just to reply: if your post is after mine, you don't need to fill the page with useless long quotes, just post your reply! The thread will be much more readable.
                                  Sorry if I seem a bit rude, but it isn't nice when people keep telling that you're doing something wrong without knowing your work!
                                  I can't post code, I've signed a contract that tells that I can't give/show source code to anyone.

I forgot to answer your question about my switch: I always used mac since my first Macintosh LC in 1992, so I'm not a switcher... I have a PC to test my applications in Windows, but I've just bought a Mac Pro so I think I will use virtualization to check my work (Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion). I'm a Mac collector, if you want you can take a look at my site: Giacom8.com - it's in italian, it's work in progress, but you get the idea...

@Dave C:
                                  There is no redundant code... maybe old code that can be rewritten in a better way, but this is normal in a big project that spans almost two years!

@stephen, womp:
                                  Thanks for your advice.
                                  • 14. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                    the real POTMO Level 1
                                    back to the topic: I've also had the same experience with large scripts on my mac in Dir11.
                                    *Also the put-command writes offendingly slow to the messageswindow.
                                    *Scrolling with the mousewheel in scripts are just not an option.
                                    *Writing numbers with the numpad in scripts doesnt work.
                                    *The objectinspector doesnt show the variable name (column. "Name") if the name is to long to not fit. Vector math such as v1.dot(v2), v1.cross(v2) and v1.distanceTo(v2) does not return the same result on PC and MAC.
                                    It was just a couple of small bugs i've seen this day I have tried Dir11 on MAC OSX. Im installing Dir11 on my PC now and i'll check out if all the problems are MAC-only.
                                    • 15. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                      Giacom8 Level 1
                                      quote:

*Also the put-command writes offendingly slow to the messageswindow.

I made some tests:
                                      1) if you write in the message window
                                      put "Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall"
                                      ->you see that it's fast.

2) if you assign the text to avariable:
                                      myText = "Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall"
                                      put myText
                                      -> it's still fast

3) but if you assign the text to a property in a list:
                                      myPropList = [:]
                                      myPropList.addprop(#txt, "Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall")
                                      put myPropList
                                      -> you can see that text is written one letter at a time! (Mac only, on PC seems ok)

quote:

*Scrolling with the mousewheel in scripts are just not an option.

Agree. Slooooooooow. (Mac/PC)
                                      quote:

*Writing numbers with the numpad in scripts doesnt work.

Well it always worked like that. I always used keypad for navigation: 1, 3: one frame; 4, 6: prev/next framelabel. If you want to type numbers with the numpad you have to press shift + [X] symbol (at least on the mac).
                                      quote:

*The objectinspector doesnt show the variable name (column. "Name") if the name is to long to not fit.

This too was already like that in mx 2004. Just enlarge the column with the mouse. I always untab the object inspector window to have it bigger anyway. Now it's a normal window so I loose it under other windows...
                                      quote:

Vector math such as v1.dot(v2), v1.cross(v2) and v1.distanceTo(v2) does not return the same result on PC and MAC.

Haven't tried...
                                      quote:

was just a couple of small bugs i've seen this day I have tried Dir11 on MAC OSX. Im installing Dir11 on my PC now and i'll check out if all the problems are MAC-only.

Let us know...
                                      • 16. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                        Necromanthus Level 2
                                        quote:

Originally posted by: stephen_
                                        quote:

-- "Number of handlers 2951"
                                        -- "Number of movie handlers 1175"
                                        -- "Number of behaviours 213"
                                        -- "Number of movie scripts 1056"
                                        -- "Number of parent scripts 158"
                                        -- "Number of lines of code 249350"
                                        -- "Most number of lines in a script 13078"

Are you trying to rebuild Windows Vista using LINGO?

p.s.
                                        In most of the cases "huge scripts = bad programming and wasted resources (processing power & RAM mostly)"
                                        • 17. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                          the real POTMO Level 1
                                          I couldnt install the trial of Dir11 on my PC. Dont know why.
                                          But anyway.

About the vectormath check out a small app i did
                                          http://dev.raketspel.se/dev/nb/crash2.html
                                          the result are colored according to how they compare to the computer the app runs on. It takes one hell of a time to load on MAC (the new textengine might not be as fast as Adobe claims) I just print some stuff and render it in different colors.

I have found a workaround to the put-stuff and the slow messagewindow.
                                          make a moviescript and add this handler:
                                          on put tWhat
                                          tWhat = string(tWhat)
                                          trace(tWhat)
                                          end

printing propLists that are not first converted to a string is slow. But if you first convert it to a string it runs faster.
                                          put [#wow: "this is slow"] -- slow
                                          put string([#wow: "this is fast"]) -- fast
                                          so what I have done in the handler above is to "overload" the put function in a moviescript and first converting everything to put to a string and then using the other built in put-function called "trace".
                                          This is totally backward compatible and it will not break the good old
                                          put "something" after member("text")

thanks for the tip with numpad by the way. I just hope that they fix the scroll now.
                                          • 18. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                            Giacom8 Level 1
                                            @necromanthus
                                            quote:

In most of the cases "huge scripts = bad programming and wasted resources (processing power & RAM mostly)"

Huge script is a consequence of many functions used by the application.
                                            There is not a huge, single, bad-programming script.

@POTMO
                                            quote:

I couldnt install the trial of Dir11 on my PC. Dont know why.

Mine was fine on XP SP2.

quote:

About the vectormath check out a small app i did

I downloaded Shockwave player 11, I'll take a look later.

quote:

I have found a workaround to the put-stuff and the slow messagewindow.

Nice tip... useful until Adobe fixes the problem - we can't lose time making workarounds on such bugs!

quote:

thanks for the tip with numpad by the way. I just hope that they fix the scroll now.

You're welcome!
                                            I hope that they fix every bug that pops up as soon as possible - we waited 4 years for a new version of Director! I want it to work and being usable!
                                            • 19. Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                              Necromanthus Level 2
                                              quote:

Originally posted by: Giacom8
                                              @necromanthus
                                              quote:

Huge script is a consequence of many functions used by the application.
                                              There is not a huge, single, bad-programming script.

Ohhh sorry, I have to rephrase:
                                              Huge (amount of) scripts = bad programming and wasted resources (processing power & RAM mostly)

Giacomo, take it slowly and start learning the Director basics.
                                              • 20. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                Giacom8 Level 1
                                                Hi necromantus,
                                                I don't want to start a flame, I just can't understand why you judge my work and say in your only post in this thread that "huge script = bad programmer" (that's the meaning I get from your post) without knowing or having seen what I've done.

I started this thread to share a problem and see if other people were having the same issues with the new version of Director, and it ended with people like you or Dave C or LOOPING Richard saying that if there are 200 functions in an application then there is something wrong.

Maybe (no sarcasm or intention to offend) you use director to develop kiosks, interactive CDs, slideshows or internet games; right now I'm developing two complex applications, so there's nothing strange in 200 functions or 20.000 lines of lingo.

Womp, Stephen and "the real WOMPO" face the same problems, share their experience, give some suggestions. I think that this is the right way to discuss in a forum.

In 12 years of lingo I learned from my mistakes, I made long scripts when there was no need to, it took me days to do things that I do now in minutes, but I think that I'm an experienced programmer now. You are free to think the opposite, but I wonder how can you tell it just because I've got a 14.000 lines movie script.

I think that you can now understand why I find quite offending your sarcasm and your "start learning the Director basics"...

Giacomo
                                                • 21. Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                  Romeo.Marian
                                                  quote:

it ended with people like you or Dave C or LOOPING Richard saying that if there are 200 functions in an application then there is something wrong.

Do you have any idea who are you talking about?

quote:

there's nothing strange in 200 functions or 20.000 lines of lingo.

In 12 years of lingo I learned from my mistakes...

I've got a 14.000 lines movie script.

Stop arguing and start learning.
                                                  Director 11 script editor is slow with newbies.
                                                  • 22. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                    Level 7
                                                    Well, I guess I'm guilty too. I did a project 10 years ago that:

handlers 20,951
                                                    movie handlers 10,175
                                                    behaviours 17
                                                    movie scripts 6000
                                                    parent scripts 78
                                                    code 1,249,350
                                                    most number of lines in a script 13078

But I have to say that that might have been at least 10% smaller now that I
                                                    have 10 more years experience. But outside of
                                                    intollerable performance problems, who cares how big it gets.

Craig

• 23. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                      Level 7
                                                      In my defense, I did end my post with "but what do I know" ;-)

I am certainly in no position to judge you or anyone else. My sincere
                                                      apologies.
                                                      • 24. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                        Necromanthus Level 2
                                                        quote:

Originally posted by: womp
                                                        Well, I guess I'm guilty too. I did a project 10 years ago that:

handlers 20,951
                                                        movie handlers 10,175
                                                        behaviours 17
                                                        movie scripts 6000
                                                        parent scripts 78
                                                        code 1,249,350
                                                        most number of lines in a script 13078

Do you like to post aberrations just for fun?
                                                        The above "astonishing programming" doesn't run properly even on Core 2 Quad and 4GB DDR3-1600.
                                                        Now let's get back 10 years ago: Director 6.5, Windows 98, <300MHz processors and <64MB SDRAM.
                                                        LOL

• 25. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                          Level 7
                                                          I thought this thread needed a bit of levity

Giacomo, there was a book written that had one concept that suggested that
                                                          our taking things personally gets in the way of creativity and progress.
                                                          But I certainly understand your reaction. Just remember that those judging,
                                                          as you said, have no idea what's going on beyond your thread and you have no
                                                          idea what the situation is of those posting. I am personally very curious
                                                          about your project and what it does but, alas, I don't think I'll ever learn
                                                          about it.

WOMP

"necromanthus" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                          news:fsjhes$j76$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                          >
                                                          quote:

Originally posted by: womp
                                                          > Well, I guess I'm guilty too. I did a project 10 years ago that:
                                                          >
                                                          > handlers 20,951
                                                          > movie handlers 10,175
                                                          > behaviours 17
                                                          > movie scripts 6000
                                                          > parent scripts 78
                                                          > code 1,249,350
                                                          > most number of lines in a script 13078

>
                                                          > Do you like to post aberrations just for fun?
                                                          > The above "astonishing programming" doesn't run properly even on Core 2
                                                          > Quad
                                                          > and 4GB DDR3-1600.
                                                          > Now let's get back 10 years ago: Director 6.5, Windows 98, <300MHz
                                                          > processors
                                                          > and <64MB SDRAM.
                                                          > LOL
                                                          >
                                                          >
                                                          >

• 26. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                            Production Monkey Level 3
                                                            The script editor is an insult. The delay on pulling up a 100 line script is absurd. The idea of tabs with this performance would be a nice idea if I needed time to go get a cup of coffee every time I clicked one.

Also, on my Windows XP pro system the fonts in the script editor do not render correctly. They are faded, jagged, and simply unacceptable. I don't care about $300.00 for an upgrade, but I do care about my time and my eyesight. This "update" is a big step backwards.

Giacomo,

Sorry, but I'm going to pick on you a bit. Three giant movie scripts and 60 global variables is not computer programming. It's scripting. Scripting is fine for small simple things, but not application development. Here are a couple books everyone should read and apply if they want to call themselves computer programmers.

"Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented software"
                                                            http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Object-Oriented-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/02016 33612/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206736005&sr=1-1

"Code Complete" http://www.amazon.com/Code-Complete-Practical-Handbook-Construction/dp/0735619670/ref=pd_b bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206736087&sr=1-1

Craig,

How many people and how many years did it take you to write over a million lines of code? And, if you can tell us. What did this program do?
                                                            • 27. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                              a¿ex
                                                              quote:

Anyone having projects with big scripts? Let me know.

I do. (however not in moviescripts nor do I use global variables, but that is another story)
                                                              I have some pretty large parentscripts, one of which is a complete rendering system for tables used in 2-D and 3-D and it even has 1000 lines more, than your 14K script ;-)

I confess, that if I started the same thing today, it would be end up in more than one single script, but this script started 8 years ago and back then I didn't know, what I know today.

anyway, the scripts works quite well and is fast in playback.

that's not the point. the point is: I too can't work with it in D11. (it wasn't fun in D10, but the D11 script editor just doesn't work, like I need a script editor to work in many, many other aspects too)

I resorted to edit my scripts in BBEdit.
                                                              I have got an authoring tool to open a script in BBEdit and as soon as I close it in BBEdit I am back in Director with the changes made to the script.
                                                              it's like BBEdit was my script editor.
                                                              I have a language module for BBedit to do the syntax coloring (the function recognition works, but is slow, so I turned it off in BBedit and instead use a "Find and Mark" for the function menu)
                                                              I have a clippings folder so autocomplete with lingo keywords works also in BBEdit.

It is much better, than editing in D11.

here is the authoring tool, which has a bunch or other functions btw.
                                                              < http://www.farbflash.de/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Dokumente/Director/Tools/handlermenu.html>

• 28. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                Giacom8 Level 1
                                                                @Dave C: thanks.

@womp: you're right, I took it personal. Next time I won't care.

@Production Monkey: on Mac too there's something wrong with the fonts in the script window: font sizes in the preferences don't correspond to font size in the window.
                                                                I know Director isn't the best tool for complex applications, but it's quick, multiplatform and I know it quite well; the project started as a simple application and grew beyond original ideas...

@a¿ex: I'll consider BBEdit but I'd prefer an usable script editor...

So I think we all agree that script editor needs some debugging.
                                                                • 29. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                  stephen_ Level 1
                                                                  quote:

So I think we all agree that script editor needs some debugging.

Yeah, besides the crashing in MX2004 the other major script editor issue I've had is when using line continuation "\". Often when I have used it and I add a line to the script anywhere before the continuation it will mess up any indentation I have used and put random spaces into my scripts ( like within variable names for instance ) meaning I have to trace through and often retype large chunks to get it to recompile.

• 30. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                    Giacom8 Level 1
                                                                    I tried once to use the "\" character to break one long line to shorter and more readable lines: it was so buggy - line numbers going crazy, broken scripts - that I never used it again.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                      stephen_ Level 1
                                                                      There are times when it is really useful. I mostly use it to make long lists readable. Just don't edit them internally.

• 32. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                        Level 7

"stephen_" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                                        news:fsu601$ro2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                        > There are times when it is really useful. I mostly use it to make
                                                                        > long lists
                                                                        > readable. Just don't edit them internally.
                                                                        >
                                                                        >
                                                                        >
                                                                        > on getAList
                                                                        > return [\
                                                                        > #prop1: "A", \
                                                                        > #prop2: "B", \
                                                                        > #prop3: [\
                                                                        > #prop3_1: "C", \
                                                                        > #prop3_2: "D", \
                                                                        > #prop3_3: [\
                                                                        > #prop3_3_1: "E", \
                                                                        > #prop3_3_2: "F"\
                                                                        > ]\
                                                                        > ]\
                                                                        > ]
                                                                        >
                                                                        > end getAList
                                                                        >

I am starting to understand why your scripts are "huge"... :(
                                                                        Is this something you would use in the Real World?

Richard

• 33. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                          Level 7

news:fsic66$6vp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                          > @LOOPING_Richard:
                                                                          > You are judging the work of other people without knowing anything
                                                                          > about their
                                                                          > projects.
                                                                          > You talk about "code organisation" but you quote an entire post just
                                                                          > to reply:
                                                                          > if your post is after mine, you don't need to fill the page with
                                                                          > useless long
                                                                          > quotes, just post your reply! The thread will be much more readable.
                                                                          > Sorry if I seem a bit rude, but it isn't nice when people keep
                                                                          > telling that
                                                                          > you're doing something wrong without knowing your work!
                                                                          > I can't post code, I've signed a contract that tells that I can't
                                                                          > give/show
                                                                          > source code to anyone.
                                                                          >
                                                                          > I forgot to answer your question about my switch: I always used mac
                                                                          > since my
                                                                          > first Macintosh LC in 1992, so I'm not a switcher... I have a PC to
                                                                          > test my
                                                                          > applications in Windows, but I've just bought a Mac Pro so I think I
                                                                          > will use
                                                                          > virtualization to check my work (Parallels Desktop or VMWare
                                                                          > Fusion). I'm a Mac
                                                                          > collector, if you want you can take a look at my site:
                                                                          > http://www.giacom8.com -
                                                                          > it's in italian, it's work in progress, but you get the idea...
                                                                          >
                                                                          > @Dave C:
                                                                          > There is no redundant code... maybe old code that can be rewritten
                                                                          > in a better
                                                                          > way, but this is normal in a big project that spans almost two
                                                                          > years!
                                                                          >
                                                                          > @stephen, womp:
                                                                          > Thanks for your advice.
                                                                          >

Hello Giacom,

I quote those lines because that is common in a newsgroup (and that is
                                                                          where all these posts are for me). I have seen the forums, but they
                                                                          are a big step back from what the usenet group used to be. So I am
                                                                          sticking to the newsgroup as long as possible.

To explain:
                                                                          Many posts from the forums do not quote anything at all. And even
                                                                          worse: posters do not reply to the post they are responding to. That
                                                                          makes it often impossible for me to understand the responses, since I
                                                                          cant see what they are replying to.
                                                                          The way you post your replies to various postings with the @ sign
                                                                          above, makes it impossible for me to understand what you are replying
                                                                          to.
                                                                          Point a newsreader at the newsgroup and see for yourself.

Macs are just computers. Just use what suits you best. For me, that is
                                                                          not a Mac. The last Mac i liked was the Apple II, and that is not a
                                                                          joke...

An enormous amount of lines of script or number of handlers is not
                                                                          something to be proud of. In general it indicates that not enough
                                                                          thought was given to the project before it started, and also that
                                                                          nobody had the guts to start again.
                                                                          The same goes for huge amounts of members in only 1 cast.
                                                                          Many "almost identical" members.
                                                                          1 movie with thousands of frames.
                                                                          Thousands of files in a folder.

Sure you CAN do it... But if you hit a wall, do you blame the wall?

I still would love to see some of your code. Of course you can just
                                                                          post something irrelevant to your project.

Richard.

• 34. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                            stephen_ Level 1
                                                                            quote:

I am starting to understand why your scripts are "huge"... :(

Richard

What's wrong with property lists? I use them extensively to list various product lines and associated properties required by the software. I find them handy and I can import/export them to external spreadsheets to verify or update them.

• 35. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                              Level 7
                                                                              > What's wrong with property lists? I use them extensively to list various
                                                                              > product lines and associated properties required by the software. I find them
                                                                              > handy and I can import/export them to external spreadsheets to verify or update
                                                                              > them.

He's talking about the way the posted list has been formatted so that
                                                                              one can easily eyeball it, instead of adding it all to the same line of
                                                                              code (and getting lost when the compiler complains about a missing comma).
                                                                              I format long property lists *exactly* like this when it suits me to do
                                                                              so. Others might think that this is incorrect or inappropriate - but it
                                                                              works, and it even helps on occasion...
                                                                              • 36. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                                Level 7

news:fsuqcv$iqc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                                >
                                                                                quote:

> I am starting to understand why your scripts are "huge"... :(
                                                                                > Is this something you would use in the Real World?
                                                                                >
                                                                                > Richard
                                                                                >

>
                                                                                > What's wrong with property lists? I use them extensively to list
                                                                                > various
                                                                                > product lines and associated properties required by the software. I
                                                                                > find them
                                                                                > handy and I can import/export them to external spreadsheets to
                                                                                > verify or update
                                                                                > them.

"I am starting to understand why your scripts are "huge"... :("
                                                                                Means: you can also write this in 3 lines, but in your scripts it is
                                                                                10 lines.

"Is this something you would use in the Real World?"
                                                                                Means: I would not declare / fill / populate a list in a script this
                                                                                way. It is not very maintenance friendly.

So,

Richard.

• 37. Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                                  stephen_ Level 1
                                                                                  quote:

"I am starting to understand why your scripts are "huge"... :("
                                                                                  Means: you can also write this in 3 lines, but in your scripts it is
                                                                                  10 lines.

"Is this something you would use in the Real World?"
                                                                                  Means: I would not declare / fill / populate a list in a script this
                                                                                  way. It is not very maintenance friendly.

So,

Richard.

Well I already said that I use this method extensively.

Here's an example from the 'real world'.

I have one product line with thirteen sub-lines. Each sub-line contains up to maybe a dozen items. Each item has maybe fifty different properties. Some properties have further sub-properties. So basically a very extensive property list nested up to five levels deep. Now how is editing this in one line more maintenance friendly than having it spread out so you can easily read a specific property within a specific product within a specific product line? My import routine handles the formatting and surely it compiles to the same list in the final published software? I think I might stick to having readable scripts rather than adopting your 'correct' methods. Thanks anyway.

Oh and it's 5800 lines instead of 14.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                                    Level 7

news:fsuteb$lme$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    quote:

> "I am starting to understand why your scripts are "huge"... :("
                                                                                    > Means: you can also write this in 3 lines, but in your scripts it is
                                                                                    > 10 lines.
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    > "Is this something you would use in the Real World?"
                                                                                    > Means: I would not declare / fill / populate a list in a script this
                                                                                    > way. It is not very maintenance friendly.
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    > So,
                                                                                    > Is this something you would use in the Real World?
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    > Richard.
                                                                                    >

>
                                                                                    > Well I already said that I use this method extensively.
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    > Here's an example from the 'real world'.
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    > I have one product line with thirteen sub-lines. Each sub-line
                                                                                    > contains up to
                                                                                    > maybe a dozen items. Each item has maybe fifty different properties.
                                                                                    > Some
                                                                                    > properties have further sub-properties. So basically a very
                                                                                    > extensive property
                                                                                    > list nested up to five levels deep. Now how is editing this in one
                                                                                    > line more
                                                                                    > maintenance friendly than having it spread out so you can easily
                                                                                    > read a
                                                                                    > specific property within a specific product within a specific
                                                                                    > product line? My
                                                                                    > import routine handles the formatting and surely it compiles to the
                                                                                    > same list
                                                                                    > in the final published software? I think I might stick to having
                                                                                    > readable
                                                                                    > scripts rather than adopting your 'correct' methods. Thanks anyway.
                                                                                    >

No thanks.
                                                                                    You missed the point again, but I dont know how else to explain....
                                                                                    I'm sorry.

Richard.

• 39. Re: Director 11 script editor slow on big scripts
                                                                                      Level 7
                                                                                      "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"

Rodney King, May 1, 1992

;-)
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next