2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2008 3:46 AM by aniebel

I need to shrink a banner in file size

Tun Tun bags of fun
      Hi, I've put together a simple flash banner that's 486x60 pixels, 25 fames per second that lasts 15 seconds final swf file is 104k. I have imported about 8 images all converted to symbols, 2 of which vector the other 6 bitmap gifs. The document has 15 layers, on 10 layers 6 of the symbols repeat. Most layers have a motion tween and 2 use Alpha.

I need to get the banner to 30k and a colleague has suggested that I use action script for the animation instead of tweens and other work.

As far as I was aware action script was used for buttons, menus and dynamic stuff.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Chris
        • 1. Re: I need to shrink a banner in file size
          Level 7
          Tun Tun bags of fun wrote:
          > Hi, I've put together a simple flash banner that's 486x60 pixels, 25 fames per
          > second that lasts 15 seconds final swf file is 104k. I have imported about 8
          > images all converted to symbols, 2 of which vector the other 6 bitmap gifs. The
          > document has 15 layers, on 10 layers 6 of the symbols repeat. Most layers have
          > a motion tween and 2 use Alpha.
          >
          > I need to get the banner to 30k and a colleague has suggested that I use
          > action script for the animation instead of tweens and other work.
          >
          > As far as I was aware action script was used for buttons, menus and dynamic
          > stuff.

You won't be able to reduce the size that much unless you get rid of the bitmap images.
          Try to reduce the export compression setting, it will help but your quality will suffer.
          In regards to your colleague suggestion, he was wrong. In fact if you were to use Tweening
          Classes, it could increase the file size even more and it's a over kill for something so
          basic like banner. Your only choice is to work on the bitmaps, remove some or replace with
          vectors, if possible.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: I need to shrink a banner in file size
            aniebel Level 2
            I have had a tween class actually end up decreasing my file size but only when the timeline tweens were used EXTENSIVELY and symbols were not reused appropriately. Make sure you size your bitmaps to 100% prior to importing them and crop off anythign that is not shown on stage. Then do as urami suggested in compressing the images.

You can read this for more suggestions:

http://blog.doubleplusgooddesign.com/?p=5