3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2008 12:26 PM by marys477

Fireworks not working on main user

marys477
      I purchased the new WebPremium CS3 last year when it came out and I can't use Fireworks on my computer unless I create a new user and use it on that user. It is a real pain as I have to keep switching users and find the files in the shared folders. I wasted a day with Adobe uninstalling and re-installing this before they told me it was a known issue. I have Windows XP service pack 2, and thought that they would do an update to repair this, as a few other programs I use need Fireworks to work properly. But here it is almost three months later and nothing. Has anyone else experienced this? And did you find a fix that their technicians don't know about? It was only after talking to them off and on all day that someone told me it was an issue, as it seemed a new problem to the other three people I spoke to. I get this error when I try to open Fireworks. "the application fireworks has unexpectedly quite. A crash report has been generated"

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Fireworks not working on main user
          Level 7
          marys477 wrote:
          > I purchased the new WebPremium CS3 last year when it came out and I can't use
          > Fireworks on my computer unless I create a new user and use it on that user.

I've never heard of that happening before. Have you installed it on a
          networked drive?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Fireworks not working on main user
            marys477 Level 1
            Hi Linda,

No, it is a single user computer. It is really screwing me up as I also bought some programs last year from Project 7 that work with Fireworks and now I can't use them either. I was hoping someone here had the same issue as frankly, after buying such an expensive group of programs, you'd think they would care more if something doesn't work! But as I mentioned before, one of the support guys told me that it was an known issue and they were working on it.

Hope someone has an answer. Getting any help from them is really hard.

thanks
            • 3. Fireworks not working on main user
              marys477 Level 1
              In case anyone wants to know what the issue was with Fireworks, it is apparently a connection to Dreamweaver! What I had to do was to export all the sites I have listed, and then go into the regedit and rename the Fireworks folder (within the Adobe folder) and the sites folder (that path is: adobe - common - 9 - sites). Then Fireworks would open. I imported all my sites at once, and Fireworks wouldn't open again. So I went back and changed the newly created folders in Reg edit again and then one by one imported my sites until I found the one that was causing the problem. I deleted it and then renamed it, and set up that file again and everything worked. ( I imagine if you just deleted them all from your list of sites, that would work too, if you weren't keen on touching your regedit) The issue with the site that was causing the problem was (I think) that the person's web site has an apostrophe and although their domain doesn't, I named the site this in the manage sites section, and it allowed it but screwed up Fireworks.

It's a strange problem and this is the way they've worked around it. I'm most relieved to be able to use Fireworks within the same user again!

mary