2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2008 3:49 PM by Gayle Duncan

Slideshow Issues with Fireworks CS3

Gayle Duncan
      Hello all,

I apologize in advance for this; I'm trying to fully take advantage of all the software included in Creative Suite 3 Web Premium. I've been using Dreamweaver and Photoshop almost exclusively, and thusly haven't touched Fireworks until this morning.

I thought it would be nice to have Fireworks produce a slideshow for my website using the "Create Slideshow" feature. I have all the images in a folder on my desktop (my iMac desktop.) The album selector allows me to choose that folder and uploads the pictures into the images window. If I choose to create the slideshow and have the files exported back to the desktop, it shows a nice progress bar and (pretends, apparently) to write the necessary files.

However, that's all it does. Pretend. The filenames of the images, when clicked in the images window, do not load previews into the preview pane. The empty pane says "file not found." And when I attempt to "preview in web browser," Safari gives me a "file not found" error. Sure enough, when I go back to make sure the .swf and .xml files have been written, I discover they are not. Fireworks behaves the same regardless of whether I use the Flash-based or SPRY based players.

Since my problems were addressed verbatim in this thread, I made sure there were no spaces or capital letters in either my folder or filenames (there aren't,) and Fireworks only has to go as deep as my desktop to import and export the files it needs/produces.

Please tell me I'm making some sort of newbie error. Since I use Dreamweaver, I am making the (somewhat large) assumption that Fireworks can work offline. That is, none of these files are uploaded to my web server, nor is the finished product uploaded to my web server. Is that the problem? I'm so very stumped right now.

Thanks,
      ~G~ (Ha. The forums censor my name.)
        • 1. Re: Slideshow Issues with Fireworks CS3
          Level 7
          Hi,

Not much I can do, as I'm not on a Mac and I couldn't get the link (even
          after I'd stuck the clipped bit back on the end) to work, so couldn't get to
          the 'history'.

Does this ...

www.fasterthanu.com

...work for you? If it does, will a peak at the code help with your problem?

If not, if you'd like to zip up a few of the images you want to create your
          gallery with and specify the gallery you want, I'll have a go at knocking
          together a gallery for you. Then, perhaps we can establish what's going
          wrong from your end. Send any zipped files to peter (at) fasterthanu. com

Peter

"Gayle Duncan" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:foatvr$msa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          | Hello all, I apologize in advance for this; I'm trying to fully take
          advantage
          | of all the software included in Creative Suite 3 Web Premium. I've been
          using
          | Dreamweaver and Photoshop almost exclusively, and thusly haven't touched
          | Fireworks until this morning. I thought it would be nice to have
          Fireworks
          | produce a slideshow for my website using the 'Create Slideshow' feature. I
          have
          | all the images in a folder on my desktop (my iMac desktop.) The album
          selector
          | allows me to choose that folder and uploads the pictures into the images
          | window. If I choose to create the slideshow and have the files exported
          back to
          | the desktop, it shows a nice progress bar and (pretends, apparently) to
          write
          | the necessary files. However, that's all it does. Pretend. The filenames
          of
          | the images, when clicked in the images window, do not load previews into
          the
          | preview pane. The empty pane says 'file not found.' And when I attempt to
          | 'preview in web browser,' Safari gives me a 'file not found' error. Sure
          | enough, when I go back to make sure the .swf and .xml files have been
          written,
          | I discover they are not. Fireworks behaves the same regardless of whether
          I use
          | the Flash-based or SPRY based players. Since my problems were addressed
          | verbatim in
          |
          http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=14&amp;cati
          | d=193&amp;threadid=1269661 I made sure there were no spaces or capital
          letters
          | in either my folder or filenames (there aren't,) and Fireworks only has to
          go
          | as deep as my desktop to import and export the files it needs/produces.
          Please
          | tell me I'm making some sort of newbie error. Since I use Dreamweaver, I
          am
          | making the (somewhat large) assumption that Fireworks can work offline.
          That
          | is, none of these files are uploaded to my web server, nor is the finished
          | product uploaded to my web server. Is that the problem? I'm so very
          stumped
          | right now. Thanks, ~G~ (Ha. The forums censor my name.)
          |

• 2. Re: Slideshow Issues with Fireworks CS3
            Gayle Duncan Level 1
            Thanks Peter,

I figured it out. It was a problem with Fireworks and I had to reinstall (gotta love Macs for putting up a good front when they're running corrupted software.)

In the meantime, I discovered Adobe Bridge/Photoshop CS3 Extended did what I wanted Fireworks to do in the first place. I guess I'll stick to having Fireworks design button states and nav bars for me...at least for the time being. :)

~G~