1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 12:31 PM by RoboWizard

Snippet or Variable?

JaredHess Level 1
      Howdy RHelpers,

I often use sentences like this in my project:

For more information on Such and Such, see the "Such and Such"
      topic in the "blah blah blah" chaptersection.

Notice "chaptersection". The characters making up "chapter" are in printed conditional format. The characters making up "section" are in online conditional format.

However, I'm tired of always having to type in chaptersection and then apply the conditional formatting for each. It seems I should use snippets or variables for something like this. I tried creating a chaptersection snippet with the desired conditional formatting, but I can't seem to plop a snipped at the end of my sentence. It always appears in a new paragraph.

So is variables the way to go for this? Or am I missing something on how to make snippets work for me? (In MS Word when I was using DocToHelp a few years back this was really easy to do because I only had to define this as AutoText).

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: Snippet or Variable?
          RoboWizard Level 4
          Hi JaredHess

Yeah, Snippets seem to always want to exist on a line of their own. I would think you would use a variable in this case. Just set the variable to be what you want chaptersection to contain. Then when you generate or compile, you may set the variable to whatever makes sense.

Cheers... Rick