20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 8:39 PM by Newsgroup_User

price policy Adobe

Mouseclick Multimedia Level 1
      I'd love to know the reason Adobe makes the upgrade so bloody expensive for non-US citizens.
      Maybe Allen Partridge could shed some light? The past weeks I read somwhere that it would be so resellers
      could actually make a profit, but this upgrade is only available as a download, so that doesn't fly!

And maybe Adobe could also officially post a webpage explaining why some much needed changes (multiple undo for one) are still not included in D11 and when the next update is scheduled? If most of the changes are made under the hood it would be nice to communicate that too, just so not too many more developers are pissed of the following days and weeks.

Anyways, if anyone knows a way to buy the upgrade in dollars, let us all know!
        • 1. Re: price policy Adobe
          LeeC22 Level 1
          Exactly, I sent a pretty angry email to customer services over this. It stinks when companies like Steingberg can release Cubase 4 at $799 US and £349 Europe

Yet Adobe, having already farmed out the development to cheap labour camps to give us a "cheap labour" quality product, then go and smack the Europeans with a price worthy of "decent" software.

Companies used to argue, "buy the real thing because pirate versions are sub-standard and don't work properly"... Seems like Adobe got a head start on the pirates by releasing the same thing for full price... that'll teach those pesky pirates.
          • 2. Re: price policy Adobe
            Level 7
            Hi,

I posted elsewhere about why the non-US version is so expensive if you buy it
            online. From what I was told from Adobe (not the Director team just an Adobe
            general), in places outside of the USA, resellers are given the benefit to offer
            competitive pricing. In other words, Adobe gives them the opportunity to have lower
            prices than offered directly from Adobe. So, what this means to the end user is
            that Adobe is putting a surcharge for non-US citizens to encourage them to buy from
            resellers.

I have heard about software that can fool sites like Adobe online store that you
            have a US IP address so would allow you to buy directly from them at the US$ price.

Your other option is to contact a reseller.

I can't answer the other questions.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 3. Re: price policy Adobe
              Hi Dean, I thought it was your answer I read somewhere before... :-)
              However, Belgian software stores only offer the full version (for more money than if bought online from Adobe, they round of to the next highest decimal), I haven't yet found a reseller that sells the upgrade.
              Besides, almost doubling the price isn't exactly a surcharge in my book...
              And again, if the upgrade will only be offered as a download, that explanation from Adobe can never be acceptable.
              • 4. Re: price policy Adobe
                Wolfgang Herold Level 2
                > So, what this means to the end user is
                that Adobe is putting a surcharge for non-US citizens to encourage them to buy from
                resellers.

thats not right. Our company can order directly from a distributor, not a reseller. Most times the difference is two or three per cent, sometimes the online price is lower than the distributors price.
                the main problem ist, that they compare Dollar and Euro with 1:1.

eg: if you go to E-frontier(poser) or Daz3D( poser assets) all prices are compareable, even if you change the currency, especially for electronic downloads.

so full Version prices for D11 are:

USD 999.- in US
                EUR 999.- + 20 % Tax = 1200 EUR. that is 1800 USD !!!! in Austria, Germany etc.

Maybe they'll start a big promotion in the near future, cos most Europeans pay about double the prize as US citizens.

for that price, you can fly to NY, stay 2 days , buy D11 there and fly back. if you need three packages, just vist Disneyland too.

cheers
                Wolfgang
                • 5. price policy Adobe
                  I checked it just for the fun of it:
                  from brussels to Washington Dulles IAP and back with United costs 508 euros (801 us$), buy the full version there for 999 us$ brings it to a total of 1.800 us$, or 1.040 euros. Buying the full boxed version in Belgium would set me back 1.210 euros. So if I can get a cab and something to eat in Washington for less than 268 us$ I'd actually make a profit.

I'll just sleep on the plane and see the sights in between, grabbing a hotdog to eat won't cost me much either.
                  So maybe Adobe and the American Tourist Board are in on this together...
                  Hey, I've never been to Washington, and it looks like a nice enough town!
                  • 6. Re: price policy Adobe
                    Wolfgang Herold Level 2
                    meet you at the Obelisk.
                    LOL
                    Wolfgang
                    • 7. price policy Adobe
                      allsgoodandwell Level 1
                      Yeah, there was a big kerfuffle about the same thing when CS3 was released. There was a chap who documented the whole thing pretty concisively, which you can see here. It includes all the details of Adobe's terrible excuses, most of which they'd probably roll out again for Directors pricing.

They took a reasonable beating from the European community at large (and from some other territories) - in one case there was 10,000 signitures on a petition - and while I can understand they didn't backtrack on the CS3 pricing, I'm pretty astonished they're continuing the 1:1 policy on new releases a year later.

Adobe have been doing an stunningly good job of annoying their customers lately.
                      • 8. Re: price policy Adobe
                        Level 7
                        Mouseclick Multimedia wrote:

> Hi Dean, I thought it was your answer I read somewhere before... :-)
                        > However, Belgian software stores only offer the full version (for more money
                        > than if bought online from Adobe, they round of to the next highest decimal), I
                        > haven't yet found a reseller that sells the upgrade.
                        > Besides, almost doubling the price isn't exactly a surcharge in my book...
                        > And again, if the upgrade will only be offered as a download, that explanation
                        > from Adobe can never be acceptable.

You think Beligian prices are high, I did a price comparison and found that
                        Australia was the highest based on current exchange rates (not taking into account
                        tax).

Wolfgang - I don't know how Adobe works out the formula. Since the Australia dollar
                        is weaker than the US (but close, it's around 91 cents to the AU$), we dont have
                        the 1:1 conversion.

Unfortunately, you guys have a very high tax. Maybe that software I mentioned which
                        will fool adobe.com that you're communicating through a USA based computer is the
                        way to go to allow you to get the US price and no tax. Will save you a plane
                        ticket. But if you want to go to Disneyland, then...:)

regards
                        Dean

• 9. Re: price policy Adobe
                          allsgoodandwell Level 1
                          Hi Dean - I'd also heard about that software, but then I'd also heard that it won't work unless you're using a US-registered credit card, which makes it a bit useless for most of us! Not having tried it myself, I don't know how true that is, but it's something to bear in mind.

When upgrading to CS3 I called the UK sales office asking what would happen if I asked a friend to buy a copy in the States and bring it over - they said that serial numbers are tied to territories, so they wouldn't guarantee I'd be able to upgrade from a UK to US version. And even if it worked, they wouldn't confirm it would activate, or even then support it in any way. However - they were vague; whether or not it would have worked I don't know. I was a scaredy cat and just forked out for the local version of CS3.

They seem to have locked it down pretty tight - or at least the illusion is there to make it effective for the majority!

Cheers

Ben
                          • 10. Re: price policy Adobe
                            Level 7
                            allsgoodandwell wrote:

> Yeah, there was a big kerfuffle about the same thing when CS3 was released.....

In Aus, in the university bookstore, there are the following student prices for CS3
                            bundles:
                            Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design (or Web) Premium Student- AU$449 approx = US$408
                            Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design (or Web) Std Win Student - AU$299 approx = US$272

Not sure what the USA pricing is but I'd say the above deals are pretty good.
                            Hopefully this type of pricing can hapepn with Director and is available all over.

regards
                            Dean

• 11. Re: price policy Adobe
                              allsgoodandwell Level 1
                              Actually, if there wasn't all this negativity towards D11, I'd have bought it myself by now. I kinda think £200 is reasonable, especially as the previous upgrades were double that.

Of course, I'm still bitter it's twice as much as the US!! :D
                              • 12. Re: price policy Adobe
                                Level 7
                                allsgoodandwell wrote:

> Hi Dean - I'd also heard about that software, but then I'd also heard that it
                                > won't work unless you're using a US-registered credit card, which makes it a
                                > bit useless for most of us! Not having tried it myself, I don't know how true
                                > that is, but it's something to bear in mind.

I don't know how true that is. I have not tested it myself but know someone who has
                                and said it worked perfectly fine for him/

> When upgrading to CS3 I called the UK sales office asking what would happen if
                                > I asked a friend to buy a copy in the States and bring it over - they said that
                                > serial numbers are tied to territories, so they wouldn't guarantee I'd be able
                                > to upgrade from a UK to US version. And even if it worked, they wouldn't
                                > confirm it would activate, or even then support it in any way. However - they
                                > were vague; whether or not it would have worked I don't know. I was a scaredy
                                > cat and just forked out for the local version of CS3.

The above is a lot of #@%^$%. Adobe don't make serial numbers locked to locations.
                                And I don't believe they would refuse support for a legitimate copy of software.

Here's a local story for you. A few years back, Sony sued a technician in Australia
                                for offering services to unlock playstations from playing region specific DVDs and
                                games. Sony claimed he was breaking copyright rules by allowing pirated software to
                                be played on the machines. Sony actually lost the case. The judge said while the
                                use of pirated software on the unlocked machines is an unfortunate situation, Sony
                                don't have the right to monopolize the local market and charge higher prices than
                                those available from overseas or online, and it is unfair to restrict legitimate
                                purchaces from those places. So, according to Australian law, it is perfectly legal
                                to buy software or DVDs overseas and use them here, and any company that attempts
                                to prevent this would be breaking our law. Anyway, just a story. Not sure if this
                                is the case worldwide, but I was impressed with what happened, which created a
                                precedeant for the future.

regards
                                Dean

• 13. Re: price policy Adobe
                                  LeeC22 Level 1
                                  Hmmm, maybe the solution then is a letter to the UK trading standards office to get them to have a look at Adobe's unfair pricing structure in non-US territories.

I'm sure they would be forced to disclose just how they dictate their pricing structure in the UK and Europe. Who knows it might just ruffle a few of the right feathers. Hopefully, the non-US countries will just tell them to shove it and switch to alternate languages, or stick with MX2004.

I'm personally tempted to stick with MX and create a more stable script IDE as 95% of my work is done in scripts anyway. Being an old school programmer, I hate pre-placed sprites and attached behaviours. I'd rather create script objects that create and attach the sprites themself.

I'm sure I can rustle up something in C#... who knows, It might sell better than Director itself :D
                                  • 14. Re: price policy Adobe
                                    Brian Stew Level 2
                                    So this is the real reason why Adobe was "not able to process (my) credit card"; there's was nothing wrong with it as they suggested. Adobe has decided I can't buy a DOWNLOAD ONLY application (D11 upgrade) because I live in Europe!?!?!?
                                    Adobe does not want to sell their software... LOH (laughing out hysterically)
                                    • 15. Re: price policy Adobe
                                      gresh Level 1
                                      I live in New Zealand and was able to purchase the downloadable upgrade by credit card without problems.
                                      Only us$384 ...
                                      I process credit card payments in my business -- It's more likely your credit card has not been authorized for international transactions.
                                      • 16. Re: price policy Adobe
                                        Level 7
                                        > Only us$384 ...

Compare that with what you'd have paid were you resident in the US
                                        • 17. Re: price policy Adobe
                                          gresh Level 1
                                          I did -- and I wasn't very happy about it.
                                          I've never purchased a downloadable file before where the price depended on where you live.
                                          • 18. Re: price policy Adobe
                                            Level 7
                                            What part of Godzone are you in?
                                            • 19. Re: price policy Adobe
                                              gresh Level 1
                                              Sunny Levin :-)
                                              • 20. Re: price policy Adobe
                                                Level 7
                                                gresh wrote:

> I did -- and I wasn't very happy about it.
                                                > I've never purchased a downloadable file before where the price depended on where you live.

It's not just Adobe. I recently bought a file online and when I went to the shopping cart
                                                payment, the US$ price was converted to AU$ and the if tehre was no surcharge, then exchange
                                                rate they were giving was shocking.

As I mentioned, Adobe have claimed their online store is targeted to the US market and outside
                                                of that, the resellers are your best option for a competitive price. I don't see what they
                                                can't say that on the Adobe website and be transparent about it and avoid the illusion that
                                                non-US buyers are being ripped off.

My suggestion would be to find a reseller and use the US$ price as a guide for how much it
                                                should cost.

By the way, I compared NZ prices to Australia in the online store and Australia is much more
                                                expensive.

regards
                                                Dean