3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2008 8:34 AM by SteveH59

Size of SWF file?

SteveH59 Level 1
      Hello

I have a movie site (AS 2 Flash MX 2004) here:

http://stevehigham59.7host.com/graphic9/graphic9.html

I am not sure if it the fault of the laptop/browser I am accessing the site from, but it takes a long time to load. The SWF file is about 3.7MB in size. Is that huge for a movie file, and how is it best to go about compressing/reducing its size?

Many thanks.

Steve
        • 1. Re: Size of SWF file?
          Damon Edwards Level 3
          Yes, thats very large. You should split your swf up into multiple swf and load content in when it is needed. 3.7mb is way to large for web.
          • 2. Re: Size of SWF file?
            Level 7
            Maybe you can cache this file into WebServer's buffer

"SteveH59" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:fsblta$eva$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello
            >
            > I have a movie site (AS 2 Flash MX 2004) here:
            >
            > http://stevehigham59.7host.com/graphic9/graphic9.html
            >
            > I am not sure if it the fault of the laptop/browser I am accessing the
            > site
            > from, but it takes a long time to load. The SWF file is about 3.7MB in
            > size. Is
            > that huge for a movie file, and how is it best to go about
            > compressing/reducing
            > its size?
            >
            > Many thanks.
            >
            > Steve
            >

• 3. Re: Size of SWF file?
              SteveH59 Level 1
              Hello

Thank you for your posts.

How would I begin to split it up into multiple files.

There seems to be a natural way in that the site has four parts to it - visible in the four images which appear on the main page. For instance, behind the last image of a phone (to denote 'contact'), there is online form. Should I split this away from the main SWF and save it as something like contactSWF and do the same for each 'component'? But how would they then appear together when the user browses to the site. Wouldn't an HTML page be generated for each separate SWF?

I'm not too sure what you mean, newsgroupuser, byyour: Maybe you can cache this file into WebServer's buffer

Please explain and I'll investigate!

Thanks again to you both.

Steve