• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blending an "inner" circle stroke to and "outer" triangle stroke?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, What ive done is created a triangle shape and applied no fill and a black stroke. Inside the triangle is a small circle with no fill and a black stroke. When I blend the two, the stroke doesn't blend the way I wish it to. I want it to create a number of "transition" shaped strokes, but instead it creates a sort of spinning effect. I hope it makes sense what I am looking for.. Id post a picture, but im not sure how to achieve the effect. Attached I will show the problematic blend. One is blending from Triangle to Circle. And the other is Circle to Triangle.

Screenshot (1).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Mike,

I believe these free scripts should work for CC:

s.h's page : Scripts for Adobe Illustrator CS

If they do, you may try to apply the Divide (length) script to both the circle and the triangle, setting the number (of added Anchor Points to each segment) to 3 for the triangle and to 2 for the circle. This should give 12 sets of corresponding Anchor Points on the two paths and thereby nice blends (either way).

This will also work similarly for whichever polygons you may choose.

Or for this case, yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

I believe these free scripts should work for CC:

s.h's page : Scripts for Adobe Illustrator CS

If they do, you may try to apply the Divide (length) script to both the circle and the triangle, setting the number (of added Anchor Points to each segment) to 3 for the triangle and to 2 for the circle. This should give 12 sets of corresponding Anchor Points on the two paths and thereby nice blends (either way).

This will also work similarly for whichever polygons you may choose.

Or for this case, you can use Object>Path>Add Anchor Points twice on the triangle to get the 3 added Anchor Points in each segment to give the total of 12 segments, and use a Polar Grid instead of the circle with the following extension:

1) Create the Polar Grid with the desired radius/diameter, set Concentric Dividers to 0 and set Radial Dividers to 12;

2) Deselect and Select the Radial Divider Group within the Polar Grid Group (you can do it in the (expanded) Layers palette), then tick the centre Reference Point in the Transform palette and multiply the W or H value by 1.2 (or something like that) and press Ctrl/Cmd+Enter; this will make them stick out past the circle;

3) Select the whole Polar Grid Group and Pathfinder>Divide, then Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+G to Ungroup and Ctrl/Cmd+J to Join; this will give the total of 12 segments;

The reason for the radial divider extension is the inherent bulging of a Bezier circle.

There are other similarly silly ways to obtain the desired divisions for many other combinations, but they will most likely have to be customized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked pretty nicely! Both ways equally. Here is the result:
(My only complaint is there is a small amount of rigidness in the transition. Obviously from the added anchors. You figure there is any way to make the transition a little less lumpy? Thanks so much, if there isn't any way I will roll with this, thank you so much for your input! Couldnt find an answer anywhere on the internet. I was surprised that the question didn't come up more.

Screenshot (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

To create a circle with only 3 Anchor Points (with the added inherent inaccuracy relative to the standard 4 which is negligible for this kind of work), without the use of (paid) plugins, you can (mis)use the Effect>Warp>Arc as follows, Smart Guides being your friends:

1) Draw a horizontal line (arbitrary length, the Effect>Warp>Arc with the % value 200/3 (this will give you a 120 degrees arc), then Object>Expand Appearance and Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+G (to Ungroup) to turn it into a normal path;

2) Object>Transform>Rotate by 120 degrees and press Copy to create the first rotated copy, then deselect and reselect and ClickDrag by the relevant end Anchor Point to snap to the first path, then repeat for the second and last copy path;

3) Select all 3 paths and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join them into the 3 segment circle.

This will work for a number of versions reaching down into CS (and further if you Join by using the Direct Selection Tool for each set of coinciding end Anchor Points).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge​, that's a bit of work! Lol! It worked perfectly though! Ill have to save myself that shape now so I don't have to recreate it when I need to use it again. Thanks again guys, you've all been super helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Mike.

I forgot to mention what I am sure you would just do, namely to change the W = H to the desired value afterwards, which can be done in the Transform palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

you gave all the answers which are needed to find the final solution. I'm sure now MikeMorton​ is able to find the best one for himself.

My own favorite is the script Ovalize.js by HiroyukiSato (you already mentioned his site s.h's page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixxxel schubser​, I saw the ovalize script in that list and wondered if it would work for me. Ill have to check it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Hans-Jürgen, and that is the easy free solution.

I completely overlooked the Ovalize script in this context.

I shall remember it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need your circle to consist of only 3 points (Astute Graphics subscribe plugin can help with this) preferably at the 0, 120 & 240° positions.Circle to triangle.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ope, Here's my answer! As far as "smoothness" Thank you! You guys are great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 good similar answers from 4 helpers in less than 5 minutes. This could be a record.

Use the required minimum of anchor points. In this case 3 anchor points will give you the best result. For getting a circle with 3 points read the Jacob Bugge​ post again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, talking about Astute graphics plugin.... I can't really afford it right now, and it would be an easy way to achieve a perfect 3 anchor points around my circle. Instead I figured id use the polar grid divided by 3... extend the inner lines and use pathfinder divide + unite to achieve 3 anchor points in the correct orientation... This was my result though, it kept the original anchor points of the surrounding circle. Whats you guys' advice on getting a 3 anchor point circle with anchor points in the correct orientation without a paid plugin?
Screenshot (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

I am convinced your approach in your post #8 was exactly what Hans-Jürgen suggested in his post #7.

As a curiosity, my post #9 was written before I saw your post #8, although it might appear as an actual answer to it, in other words in a failed attempt at thinking ahead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge​, I saw post #7 on the 3 point circle and that it referred to the first post you had made. I tried to see if the plugin would do it for me, but it only adds divisions between anchors. So I moved onto your second recommendation with the polar grid. I may have messed up the instructions a bit? Basically, I created a polar grid in 3 segments, (ended up getting into isolation mode and extending each arm of the segments), then doing a divide and unite. However, when dividing polar grid to 3 segments, it creates a few extra anchors on the outside circle. Using your recommendation with the warp / transform / join did it for me though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mike,

You are right about the Polar Grid Tool approach, which keeps the four Anchor Points of the original normal circle which forms the outer bounds, just like any concentric dividers are normal circles.

So the Ovalize script pointed out by Hans-Jürgen is the easy and free way, which can also be used for other numbers of division (where the % value in the Arc will have to be changed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two Problems may be happening

1. Each shape carries a different number of anchor points

2. Based on the way you draw the shape you may have the first anchor point on the other side of the shape so it will have to twist to blend.

You may only need number 1 but if it does not fix it try choosing the first point (first vertex)

Blends are using Anchor Points

Blend is really an Anchor Point control. It is shaping using anchor point to anchor point. So your circle has 4 point and your triangle has 3 points. This means that 2 points in the circle need to merge.

1. FIX: Adding the same number of points

In the one picture below you can see by adding a 4th point to the triangle it will change the shape.

Blends.jpg

This should fix it unless your first vertex is in another place. Below is an example of not choosing the first vertex but drawing one triangle starting on the left and one triangle starting on the right. (I am choosing the path in the image with my blend tool in the picture below and not the point but the way I created the original shapes is changing the blend)

Blend tool line.jpg

triangle.jpg

2. FIX: Choosing the First Point (vertex)

I also added a picture showing if you control the first point for each you can change the shape. When the tool is a white box at the end it is choosing the first point for you if you move the tool over a point it turns black. This will be selecting the first point which will again change how it blends. (When you draw something, wherever you click down first is the first anchor point, so sometimes we need to help the shape choose the first anchor point. This means that your shape will be different depending where you started each path)

Blend tool point.jpg

First Anchor Point.jpg

Let me know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need (for a "good" blend) the same corresponding anchor points for each element:

angleichen.png

Have fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines