5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2018 1:36 PM by ppetree

PhoneGap App included in iOS Share options/menu

ianhowse Level 1

Is there any way (apart from using native code) of setting up an PhoneGap App so it will be included in the iOS Share menu (and the Android equivalent)?

• 1. Re: PhoneGap App included in iOS Share options/menu
          ppetree Level 1

You can do this in cordova but not without a mac and xcode.

There is a background app that gets run and it needs the name of a communications channel on which to communicate with your app.  That can only be configured on xcode.  There are lots of articles and stackoverflow questions with answers to this.

• 2. Re: PhoneGap App included in iOS Share options/menu
            ianhowse Level 1

Thanks

Given I know 100% of 5 fifths of nothing about Xcode/Mac, what are the chances of getting this facility developed by somene else? Interested?

• 3. Re: PhoneGap App included in iOS Share options/menu
              ppetree Level 1

If I had a Mac, I'd ditch PGB is a flat, skinny, hairless second.  I find their willingness to collect money and offer no support a complete abomination! (which I will continue to make clear at every opportunity until they step up to the plate.)

It's not just a one off, all builds must be done on a mac.  Your best bet is to A) buy a used Mac; B) find someone who will let you borrow one (do all your development except that part and then do it last); C) go to the phonegap group on slack and ask someone in the iOS section to build (they will need your security cert and provisioning profiles).

• 4. Re: PhoneGap App included in iOS Share options/menu
                ianhowse Level 1

I don't know if I'd totally ditch PhoneGap but I agree their total lack of care, attention, focus, support and promotion is not only absolutely frustrating and totally unacceptable from a Users point of view, but also a bloody shame given what it could become in the right hands (which Adobe obviously ain't!).

Thanks for your response - obviously I'm gonna havta fire up and old Mac I've got lying around and try to figure out what the hell to do with it!! Watch this space for a million stupid questions from this Mac newbie!

• 5. Re: PhoneGap App included in iOS Share options/menu
                  ppetree Level 1

I think phonegaps days are numbered.  Google has moved on to Flutter and I seriously doubt they will support two cross-platform build tools... why would they?  Heck, Alibaba moved to Flutter and they have >50,000,000 installs.

Phonegap is doomed for a number of reasons:

1) No one can simply install cordova and build an app.  Can't be done without 100 googles and countless visits to stackoverflow.  Even then components still wont work correctly (i.e. emulator on an AMD machine - like there aren't a million of those!).

2) The stupid, stupid, stupid error messages that cordova (and now PGB) emits... most times they have nothing to do with the actual problem.  This is indicative of amateur hour.

3) PGB sucks for all the reasons you described.  The PGB product manager and his/her boss should be fired and forever banned from working in IT... seriously, I bet I could double their user base in < 12 months.

4) The PGB people should have, minimally, taken over Intel's XDK and/or developed their own version.  Had Intel started charging $10 a month, they would have killed PGB simply because of XDK. It had a modern simulator built in, a config.xml gui manager, auto upload and notification when builds were complete etc.  It was an awesome tool and I hated to see it go.  By comparison, PGB is like living in the dark ages and having to edit code with edlin (age related MS-DOS 1.x reference).

5) The PGB people really don't understand why people use phonegap and why they use PGB.  Zero understanding.

As for using the Mac, I would really suggest you join the cordova channel on Slack.  There is an cordova-iOS specific channel and you'll be able to find people who've walked your path.  Also, please document all the steps you took to install xcode, cordova etc and get an iOS build as I will be following you down that path! LOL

You may also find this link useful: iOS Platform Guide - Apache Cordova