• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic Layer + Shape creation via scripting

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a flash developer new to after effects. I have been trying to create a dynamic scene with expressions but there are some obvious limitations. How can I do the following with a mix of ae + scripting

Pre-composition "Block"

Create a rectangle that has text on it with a fade-in effect followed by an eventual fade-out.

Main composition

Put 5 "Block" precomps on the stage and have each show different text.

My original idea was to tell each Block precomp what it's text will be. Something like layer("Block 1").layer("Text").text = "Text for Block 1" and do the same for block 2, 3, etc. via loop. I quickly realized that compositions are what you might call "dumb" instances.

What's the best way to do this? I don't want to do it manually because then the fade-in length has to be changed in 5 places, I'll do this as a last resort.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

If you're talking about using a single precomp and 5 precomp layer instances of the same precomp, the only way I can think of to do that would be to have all 5 text animations in the precomp (sequentially) and then use time remapping for each layer instance to control which animation plays.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about using a single precomp and 5 precomp layer instances of the same precomp, the only way I can think of to do that would be to have all 5 text animations in the precomp (sequentially) and then use time remapping for each layer instance to control which animation plays.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I get what you're saying. Consider this scene layout

Main Comp:

layer "Block1"

- timestretch frozen in place for text group 1

layer "Block2"

- timestretch frozen in place for text group 2

Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvm I figured it out. This totally works thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking you would use Time Remapping, not timestretch.  So for example, your precomp might have a one-second fade in of Text 1 followed by a one-second fade out of Text 1, then a one-second fade in of Text 2, etc. If you then had a layer instance where you wanted to show Text 3, you would start by animating Time Remapping from 4.0 to 5.0 to fade in Text 3, hold for however long you want, then animate Time Remapping from 5.0 to 6.0 to fade out.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, `time remapping` you are correct. I typed `time stretch` by mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines