2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2008 4:07 AM by goldman-x

Hierarchical  Tree Implementation

diopek
      I am planning to implement dynamical Hierarchical tree that should render large number of nodes.
      Current application has Java back end environment.
      Is there any sample implementation for building such trees with large number of nodes with Flex 3.

-- Deha Peker
        • 1. Re: Hierarchical  Tree Implementation
          Bayani Portier Level 1
          Hi Deha,

Unfortunately I don't have an example to give you, as all the stuff I have worked on is proprietary code, but here's a few tips.

You mentioned large. If you mean LARGE, I would suggest creating a light version of your XML that you wish to supply to your Tree class. Basically containing only the information required for the display of the tree. Furthermore, only construct this light XML base once, and make sure that any operational gestures to your source data are reflected in your light proxy. e.g. add, delete, edit are performed only on the relevant node(s) and not just in the base data, and then a complete rewrite of the tree.

If you are planning to have a Next/Prev implementation in your structure, consider constructing a linked list system in parallel to your tree nodes, as an iterator pattern over XML can be costly if your dataset is large.

I know this is very obvious information, but in a few projects that I've been involved with, this has been overlooked in the initial architecture. Just thought it might be helpful and save you a bit of pain later on.

-b
          • 2. Re: Hierarchical  Tree Implementation
            goldman-x Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: diopek
            I am planning to implement dynamical Hierarchical tree that should render large number of nodes.
            Current application has Java back end environment.
            Is there any sample implementation for building such trees with large number of nodes with Flex 3.

-- Deha Peker

We're using CheckBoxTreeFX from Teotigraphix - works quite well. Or, you can subclass Tree component:

http://kanuwadhwa.wordpress.com/2007/08/11/create-a-tree-component/