Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prioratise HTML5 over flash in combined output

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have a number of courses that require both an HTML5 and a Flash version. However, I want the multicreen.html file to prioritize HTML5 for chrome and newer versions of IE.

Is this possible? And will any solution work with SCORM?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I do not use the multiscreen option, publishing both to SWF and HTML, anymore since over a year because I detected many issues. If you are publishing to a LMS, is there no way to offer both SWF and HTML output, and  either let the learner choose, or set up a condition. Moreover, EOL of Flash player is not so far away anymore, suspect it will become tough to have a desktop browser with automatic Flash Player plugin. If you have control over the used browser of your learner, it will be OK, but only in that situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Lieve that you should NOT be using dual publishing nowadays, but I understand that some organisations are still using old browser versions that do not support HTML5 so it's something of a vexed question.

The sniffer code in the multiscreen.html file isn't currently checking whether or not the person has a browser that supports HTML5 or even whether or not the browser has a Flash Player plugin.  It basically just checks to see whether or not the user is viewing the content from a mobile device and if so will redirect them to the HTML5 content.

The code in this multiscreen.html file hasn't been altered in several years, which is kind of dumb when you think about how much the online world has changed over recent years.  Adobe probably felt there was no point in fixing this code so that it prioritized HTML5 and ONLY delivered SWF content where the browser had a Flash Player because they were expecting everyone to move to HTML5 and ditch SWF altogether.

The only way I know of for you to get this code fixed would be to either hope one of the JS gurus on this forum reworked the code for you for free, or else you'd have to pay a programmer to do it for you.  It wouldn't be a big job, but it would still cost some money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the lowest version of IE and Chrome that you want to use?

There is no foolproof way to detect the browser version, but there are still several things you can do.

Do you want to target browsers  that support HTML5 features? You can test to see if they support the Video tag, which would be IE9 and above and Chrome 4 and above.

I can write a script for you to add to the multiscreen if you give me specific information concerning the browsers and when you want to force html5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave!  I was hoping you would chime in.

What about just sniffing to see if the browser has Flash Player plugin installed and if not then divert to HTML5?  Wouldn't that be simpler?

The standard Captivate HTM template has some code already that looks for Flash support and if it doesn't find it then it sends the user to the website where they can download and install Flash.

I realise that not all browsers support HTML5 fully but if the browser doesn't at least have a Flash Player plugin then you might as well send them to HTML5 because they're not going to see anything otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Flash detection is in the standard.js.

I was trying to do it without having to include other files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources