• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

$3000 Budget, What Do I Get?

Enthusiast ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a budget of $3K give or take a couple hundred which includes tax.

I keep thinking I want a RTX 2080 ti and i9 9900. But, I keep hearing that it's better to have a better CPU.

My old system has an m.2 card I'll probably bring over. I'll probably want to buy a new one for the main drive.

Really, I just need to know what CPU, Video Card, Mobo, and RAM would be best. I'll probably be able to figure out the case, power, drives, and cooling

Should I buy a different/better/more core CPU and less expensive GPU? If so, what do you think would be best? I'm assuming the cooling, drive, tower, and power will be about $600. So, for $2,400 or so, what would be the best CPU, GPU, RAM, and MOBO?

[Moderator note: moved to appropriate forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPU and mobo are the heart of the system ... you get the rest to match. Fast cores, up to 10, then with up to 10GB of RAM/core, then a mobo that has appropriate layouts for all the heavy use of cards & GPUs and such, then a GPU that keeps up with the system as built. That's the best order of consideration.

Check out the information and recommendations for both Puget Systems and SafeHarbor computing, probably ADK also. They all build "turnkey" custom rigs for DVA use ... digital video apps ... and not that most mobos and CPU's are not suited for video post work, even some of the spendy "powerful" CPUs are simply not very good in the kinds of tasks we need.

And many mobos do not have their layout setup to avoid the bottlenecks that all our extra GPUs and drive connections can make within the computer.

So just getting a "hot" CPU and the mobo that's generally listed for it may get you a very spendy piece of ... not good.

Past that ... there are other threads on here of similar discussions, so read through some of them.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know what the best CPU, GPU, Mobo, and RAM for $2,400 is. I've already looked through this forum, posted this inquiry here in different ways, looked at different benchmark sites, called various computer related companies (e.g. newegg, bhphoto, etc...) been to various stores that sell computers, watched YouTube videos, etc...

Surely someone can have a specific component recommendations for this price.

I've heard so much variance. Ultimately, what does Adobe say is best that's available right now for this price range? Which CPU, GPU, and RAM. Of course components need to match.

I would love to start building right now. But, I'm taking my time to make the best decision possible. I may just get an i9 9900K and 2080 ti and at least 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM and build from that. But, I wonder if it would be better to get an i7 with more cores, like ten, and maybe a 2080 instead or try to find a 1080 ti. Really, I would prefer someone who knows more about all of this, esp. what adobe needs, to tell me what components.

In the end, I may just not build a system. The more I search and think about all this the more I find people in the same boat as me hating Adobe for their horrible subscription plan. I'm beginning to think I should just sell everything, all my cameras and computer. Then start over with Black Magic gear and DaVinci Resolve. It's far better for color grading and is completely free with the camera. Or I could just buy that for $300 and be done.

I've been using Adobe for over 18 years. I'm sort of sick of it. And now here I am trying to get some suggestions for over a week now from a company I pay $60 a month toward and all I get is nothing. The updates invariably cause errors/crashes, etc...

But, I'm trying to stay positive. I simply ask, what is the best CPU, GPU, RAM for $2,400? AMD or Intel? i9? i7? 32 GB or 64 RAM, etc...? Somebody in this forum must be current and savvy enough to know all the options. I just want to create, not be an component guru.

I built my last two systems. But, that's been some time ago. I did great building systems to last. I could keep using what I have. But, I would love to get out of my first gen i7 setup and take advantage of the current gen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and it's easy enough to build a PC once I know what CPU, GPU, and RAM to get. I don't want/need to pay someone else to do that. I don't mind doing it but I don't think that's necessary. Maybe if I knew the person or something, but really, the hardware is expensive enough.

And if I recall correctly the Puget site didn't compare i9 9900k with Threadripper 1950x. I prefer to get a suggestion from someone that is comparing the most logical things to compare. The AMD is $100 less with twice as many cores and threads and overall outperforms the i9. But the i9 has better thread performance. Some of the intel i7 Xtreme cpus are more pricey with ten cores but maybe that's better/more important to invest in and just get less of a GPU?

Anyways, surely someone here can offer some really good, specific advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We're just other users. None of whom have a budget to just go buy and test stuff. And the PrPro team doesn't either.

Puget and Safeharbor can put together bids at various prices, check out the parts... those will work well.

Currently PrPro uses up to 10 cores consistently though some folks have more cores and are still getting good use of them. But 10 cores with a goodly cache for each seems a reasonable high end.

Next ... getting those cores near or preferably above 4Ghz is important.

Then plenty of RAM per core.

A build bid for me by Safeharbor had a 1070 with one CPU/RAM combo, saying a 1080 would not be fully utilized. However moving the RAM up a chunk and/or changing CPU both made the 1080 a worthwhile tool.

It's that kind of thing you need to ask about.

I of course also work with Resolve. Which hath it's own ... joys. I've never seen an exact list for that app either.

One thing to understand about BlackMagic  ... they make software to make you buy their hardware. You wanna run a program out "confidence" monitor from Resolve? Buy a Decklink card ... roughly $100-$250 depending on the card. Use a control surface? Ok ... they map some things to independent gear like the Elements panel I use. But ... half my controls are "dark" ... not doing anything.

Want more of Resolve mapped to a surface? Easy  ... spend $1,000 to $30,000 for a BM surface ... that of course only works with BM software.

Can you install a new version of Resolve to test how well it works while keeping your current version installed to keep working until you know the new version works?

That's a big NO. Which to me is a big PAIN.

Some things Resolve is awesome for. But like anyone else it's made to make money. By humans who make their own unique and marvelous choices which depending may or may not be ones best for you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines