3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2018 2:17 PM by R Neil Haugen

Premiere Pro Lut Crashes...Enough Already!

treshaj77644872 Level 1

OK, as an editor and cinematographer for prime time projects with A list actors, I decided to take a dip in the pool with Adobe Premiere due to it's color grading application. Normally I would use Resolve, however for rough cuts I thought Premiere would cut the mustard. For the most part it's a wonderful program that has come a long way. I begin with this program back in the day, many years ago. I currently work and shoot with mostly Red format and Sony FS7. Once upon a time I began to use LUTS inside Premiere as many do. But like the many that have screamed out for help, I too I'm the victim of constant crashed when applying LUTS or scrolling through LUT previews. I have tried many alternatives to fix this problem. Creating LUT folders in the Common folder and even keeping the LUT folders where they originate when application is installed. I have...reinstalled many times, use various LUTS from various third party vendors...and...ready....even seen it crash when using the LUTS that come with premiere when installed. I have used our IMAC 2017 with video raids galore and also a Mac Pro tower, all to no avail. All while sporting 32 GB ram, 4GB video cards and dual processors. Still it doesn't matter as it behaves the same on both machines.  Funny thing is both Avid and Resolve work flawlessly using LUTS to the fullest extent. I still would like to hang on to Premiere as it does have some great features with less work around than other apps. However if it can't hang with LUTS and continues to crash every time you scroll through the LUT preview, then trust me, it's not ready for prime time as time is money. When the pressure is on things have to just...WORK! Also I would love to see a LUT gallery like the one Blackmagic just came out with for Resolve. If you guys could do this and find a solution for the preview crash, you will instantly be kicking down the back door into a world where everybody will know your name. Good luck and hope soon there is a solution to this. In the meantime I have to unfortunately go back to Avid and Resolve. Please convince me there is hope. 

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro Lut Crashes...Enough Already!
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So ... you've used the proper places to store additional LUTs and are still getting crashes? That isn't normal at all.

Just to be sure ... from the chart below, you create the Creative and Technical folders at the end of the chains listed, then park your LUTs there depending on whether you want them to be in Basic tab drop-down list (Technical) or Creative tab viewer/drop-down (Creative).

Neil

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro Lut Crashes...Enough Already!
            treshaj77644872 Level 1

Neil,  thank you for your reply. As a matter of fact I had seen your post a while back and followed your schematic seeing I was not aware of creating those folders at the end of the folder chain inside common/luts, etc. However that did not work. As soon as I load a LUT and preview say 5 or 6 lUTS it will freeze. I do have a question. When reinstalling premiere it by default puts the creative and tech folder inside the Adobe Premiere contents folder. By creating the folders and placing them where you suggest would I need to delete the default location folders. It seems to me these may clash if I did not. Anyway other than that Im not sure whats going on. Now I can import LUTS through browse one at a time but as you would know, that by passes preview and defeats the whole purposes. In the meantime Im going to just have to go round trip from Premiere to Resolve for color grading and back which works flawless. Any other ideas please let em know Neil and thank you for replying.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro Lut Crashes...Enough Already!
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't worry about the folders inside the program/package folders being "the same". Just set up and use the folders as specified in the chart/info thing, and PrPro will display the combined contents in alphanumeric order. Which is why I name mine such that they come up first, like just adding an A, or 1, whatever ... to the beginning of the name.

I find the process to prep an XML-out, do the conform-in process within Resolve to be enough of a pain even for my small projects that I prefer the saved time/hassle by using Lumetri. Especially with the production upgrades Lumetri's been given in the last couple versions.

The ability to create multiple "instances" or layers of Lumetri, renaming them for their use ... from the control header for the Lumetri tab ... is a slick joy. As I follow the ideas I've picked up from Alexis Van Hurkman's books and Robbie, Pat & company on Mixing Light ... doing quick multiple passes down the line for the different steps of grading ... this is just a huge upgrade.

Also ... you can easily save the stuff you do in typical steps within all your work or within a project to presets ... then say, select all the clips from a sequence, drag/drop your named "Base" or neutralization preset onto the sequence, every clip now has that instance/layer of Lumetri with any settings/LUTs/Looks you have set for it.

Work your way down the line trimming in clip after clip using the Comparison view mode, maybe even the Apply Match button to get closer first ... then select-all/drag-drop your next preset onto them, start at the beginning of the sequence for the next step.

Especially with the Elements and Ripple panels I'm setup to use, where I've mapped the entire Basic tab to the three ball/ring combos, and on the Elements have a ball/ring do mouse emulation when in Curves mode using those nifty new curves they've got ... this is a very fast & capable process.

Neil