• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hundreds of .dng files now won't open in Photoshop or Lightroom—yet work fine in Apple Photos!!!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many years I have been slavishly converting my raw files to DNG in the (apparently mistaken) belief that this would ensure continued compatibility with Photoshop and Lightroom. Going back a few years I have discovered hundreds—possibly thousands—of dng files that won't open at all in Photoshop or Lightroom ("unexpected end-of-file occurred"). These same files OPEN WITHOUT A PROBLEM IN APPLE's PHOTOS APP.

• None of these images have ever before been opened in any program other than Photoshop and Lightroom.
  • My backup versions of the same files won't open in Photoshop or Lightroom either.
  • Apple's Photos app has no problem with any of these files. They also appear quickly in Apple's Preview. So don't tell me it's my hardware.
  • How is this possible?
  • The tedious task of finding the bad ones, opening them in Photos, exporting to TIF and then importing them again to Lightroom is simply not practical. There MUST be a better way—and a way to prevent this from happening again.
  • This is an emergency for me, as I must have access to all these files for a huge project due this Friday

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Preview probably shows the embedded JPG in the file, which is often uncorrupted when the DNG image is corrupted. So the fact that the image appears correct in Preview is meaningless.

I don't know what Apple Photos does. Can you open one of the .dng files in Apple Photos and actually edit it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can edit in Apple Photos.

On December 10, 2018 at 1:37:08 PM, dj_paige (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using google to search "Lightroom "unexpected end-of-file occurred"" brings up one question

Close lightroom, close Photoshop. Bring up Finder, Navigate to where the DNG files are. Pick one that you think is having an issue, double click on it, probably select Photoshop, does it come up?

Issue is (or was, mu hunch comes from way way back inv1) if you have a problem with one image while in a Lightroom or Photoshop session, that error may cascade into subsequent attempts. Could one corrupt DNG be fouling things up?

might have noticed that in: An unexpected end-of-file occurred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

Issue is (or was, mu hunch comes from way way back inv1) if you have a problem with one image while in a Lightroom or Photoshop session, that error may cascade into subsequent attempts. Could one corrupt DNG be fouling things up?

The problem isn't that a bad DNG file is causing other files to be corrupted. That doesn't make sense. The problem is that the hard disk where it is stored is malfunctioning; it could have a bad sector and all of the photos there are now corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 20.01

Lightroom Classic 8.01, build 1193777

Again, I can open these files in Apple Photos, edit them, and export as

16-bit TIFs. So I’ve pretty much ruled out the hard drive as the culprit.

On December 11, 2018 at 6:52:47 AM, dj_paige (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mark+McQueen  wrote

Again, I can open these files in Apple Photos, edit them, and export as

16-bit TIFs. So I’ve pretty much ruled out the hard drive as the culprit.

I don't agree. A possibility is that Lightroom is more strict at making sure the structure of the file is intact than Apple Photos is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you’re right, but what good would that fussiness do me? The photos

appear to be completely normal in Apple programs

On December 11, 2018 at 1:05:25 PM, dj_paige (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When was the last time you restarted your Mac? If you can't remember Reboot your system and test.

Please post the exact version numbers of both LR and PS. Open each program and go to "Help" then system Info and copy then paste the first 5-10 lines of text that comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of the problem dngs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download one here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, here's the correct link: https://Baroness.com/downloads/100506-2836.dng

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is definitely not right with that file. The photos app appears to be taking the preview image, which I have never seen it do. I don't think it is using the raw data judging from the jpeg-like artifacts when you zoom in. Also just looking at the file in a text editor it appears to be corrupted with the imp in the wrong place and cut off at a random spot. I am not an expert but perhaps somebody else can analyze the file to see what is wrong with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So apparently the file is corrupted, and the DNG image is NOT being displayed in Apple Photos at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only deducing that from the very strong noise reduction artifacts in the file even with noise reduction at the default zero in the edit settings in Photos. Photos and preview normally always use the raw data but it might fall back to whatever is available if it can't read the raw data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you think a hardware failure could cause this error on many hundreds of

raw files, while leaving adjacent ones—and many thousands of of types of

files—intact?

In any case, it sounds like I’m screwed.

On December 12, 2018 at 10:13:54 AM, dj_paige (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is possible unfortunately. Technology is not super reliable. Nothing has changed in the dng format that would preclude Lightroom or Photoshop from opening an older dng file so something is off with the files. In fact I just tried opening a dng file from a decade ago and it opened fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn’t there any way to get help from Adobe here?

On December 12, 2018 at 10:25:55 AM, Jao vdL (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not Adobe in this forum.

At the top of the page, click on "Support Home" and follow the menus. Although I doubt they can help with corrupted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also post on https://feedback.photoshop.com . There are actual

adobe people there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can't help you if your image files are corrupted. For a long time I converted Nikon, Panasonic and Canon RAW files to DNG. Going back to 2006.

None of them are showing as corrupted or can't be imported if they weren't already imported on my systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I’m happy for you. So far nobody has offered a reasonable explanation

for how this could have happened. It only happened to random RAW files

(surrounded by others that still work) from many years ago. I’ve never had

any other files corrupted by a hard drive. And I have several terabytes of

data.

On December 12, 2018 at 5:47:05 PM, Just Shoot Me (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The failure rate and corruption rate on hard drives is surprisingly high. You can find a lot of info on this on the internet. You really can't trust a single hard drive to keep your data intact for many years unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are we still discussing this? I’m well aware of hard drive failure, and

these files have always existed in more than one place.The same files that

I discovered on my backup were also corrupt on my archive. And again…how

could this happen only to these RAW files? Hardware failure wouldn’t be

that specific, attacking only RAW files, and thousands of them (leaving all

other data, including JPGs, readable).

On December 13, 2018 at 12:03:59 AM, Jao vdL (forums_noreply@adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines