Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC + NAS Workflow Help

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have been searching around for an answer but not quite found what I have been looking for.

I currently have Lightroom CC Classic with my original files located on my Synology NAS and my Lightroom catalog and smart-previews etc stored locally on both my Macbooks (as the Lightroom folder is in a cloud-synced folder so that it's on both my MacBooks and the cloud via Apple iCloud)

I like the idea of moving to Lightroom CC and having the original images and the catalog saved in the Adobe Cloud - however, I still want to keep a copy of all the originals on the NAS (and make sure that the originals on the NAS match the originals on the cloud both in terms of individual files but also folder structure)

From what I understand, I can select an option in Lightroom CC that keeps a copy of the originals in a select/chosen location - so I can select the NAS for example as the location for the "originals back up"

So I am trying to understand before I go and purchase CC is what the workflow would look like and how organized the  "originals back up" would be on the NAS

I would imagine the workflow would look something like this.

1. Import new images into Lightroom CC (direct from USB / SDXC)

2. Those images are now stored on the cloud

3. Those images would then get downloaded to the chosen "original back up" location.

4. If I delete an image on the cloud, it would also be deleted from the back-up location.

My questions are:

- Is that workflow correct?

- Would it make more sense to upload the photos onto the NAS, then import those photos into CC from the NAS and have the cloud and the NAS import/folders be synced? or does it not work like that?

- How organized is the "originals back up" - is it just one massive folder full of images or would it mimic the collection structure in which you have imported the files into

Thank you in advance

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would imagine the workflow would look something like this.

1. Import new images into Lightroom CC (direct from USB / SDXC)

2. Those images are now stored on the cloud

3. Those images would then get downloaded to the chosen "original back up" location.

4. If I delete an image on the cloud, it would also be deleted from the back-up location.

This is all correct.

- Would it make more sense to upload the photos onto the NAS, then import those photos into CC from the NAS and have the cloud and the NAS import/folders be synced? or does it not work like that?

No this doesn't work. There is no syncing in Lightroom CC like in Classic. In CC, the originals are always in the cloud and the local copies are just copies that accelerate access. They are not backups, just local cache to accelerate working with the images. If you first copy images to the NAS, and then import, the image will first be copied onto the main hard drive into a hidden folder, then get uploaded to the cloud last it will copy this image to the storage location you originally set on the NAS and you will end up with two copies there in general.

- How organized is the "originals back up" - is it just one massive folder full of images or would it mimic the collection structure in which you have imported the files into

It is just a massive dump of images I believe in a dated folder setup. There is no mirroring of the album (the term CC uses instead of collections) structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines