• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hard Drive Setup and Scratch/Cache Disk Assignment

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty new to using Premiere for anything other than cutting up clips, matching with the music, and putting in some light transitions.

Trying to get more in depth with the massive software, and setup a newly built PC for Premiere Pro optimization.

I plan on editing 4k travel videos, normally 5-10 minutes or shorter in total time, but a hefty amount of original shots with a decent amount of effects and transitions.

I currently have:

250GB SSD for OS and Programs
1TB NVMe for Current Project Files and Media
250GB SSD for Scrach & Cache (???)

1TB WD Black 7200rpm HDD (not being used currently...)

External Hard Drives for Exports and Archive

Am I currently maxing out the potential of the hard drives I have or is something that can be improved?

Is the 250GB SSD for the scratch and cache disk large enough? I'm getting mixed answers from the research I've been doing.

Is there something the 1TB HDD can be used for that would optimize the setup even further even with its slower read/write speed?

And I would really appreciate if someone can guide me through or provide a good link that shows the steps to setup the drives in Premiere to actually use the drives as I am intending to. I've only really found good guidance online in regards to having the 2 disk setup (OS & Programs on disk 1, projects and media and cache on disk) instead of a 3 disk setup like I'm trying to do.

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the superb performance of m.2 media, the 3-disc setup you've got should work great. Just set all new projects to that drive, store your media there, and within the appropriate spots in the Project settings "scratch disc" dialog and the Edit/Preferences/Media Cache dialog, set where you want everything to live.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved to the Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines