• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 8.1 Update Ruins EOS R White balance!

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just update to LR Classic CC 8.1 and Camera Raw 11.1.  Now anytime I mouse over or click on an existing image in a folder that is a .CR3 file from my EOS R, the white balance goes all out of whack.  I actually can no longer work on these files, for fear that every one will get messed up.  You can see below the two circled images have the exact same settings, but when i clicked on the one on the right it went all warm and yellow.  It seems temp increased on me...but i dont know what it was before and I don't know if anything else changed.  .CR2 files are fine.  FWIW most of their temps are in the 4800 range, not 6400.

Profile is Adobe Color, but it doesn't matter if I change it, and I don't believe it changed, but it's the same for .CR2 files and they don't change.

The white balance is just not accurate, and I don't know how to fix this.  Please help.

Screen Shot.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has something to do with the color profiles.  I have no idea what they were at, but i think it was Adobe Standard.  Many are now Adobe Color.  The problem is, when i change it to Adobe Standard (v2), it's still not the same as when I last finished editing it.  So I have three different color versions...my orginal edits, pre-update, the new whacked version, and a less whacked version if I change the profile.  I really don't want to go back through hundreds of files updating my white balance on every photo again.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALSO, it only appears to be changing images that I had previously edited.  Imported images that I had not yet made any changes to are not affected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Owners of the Fujifilm X-T3 have a similar problem, that camera was first supported in LR 8, ACR 11, DNG converter 11.

once you select any setting other than as shot for WB, nice colorl cast.

known problem for the X-T3 that Adobe did not fix.

workaround is to use sliders to adjust WB, or the eye dropper, to avoid selecting daylight, cloudy, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, i had no issue in 8.0 just 8.1.   As you can see the color was correct, till I simply clicked on it, or even just mouse-over it.  Also the profile is now Adobe Color, and I'm pretty sure it's always been Standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, went to look for a link to share, a link to X-T3 issues, found it, and appears a fix exists, involves profiles??

I do not know if something can be harvested from this for your Canon

White Balance profiles incorrect for Fujifilm X-T3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like in v8, an issue existed with the profiles, any image edited previously will have that profile, any image just now edited in the new LR will have a new v2 profile, need to reapply the profile as in Adobe Standard to fix??, then continue.

that from the Fuji X-T3 solution, does this apply to yours as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No unfortunately.  Images look great initially. I'm guessing they "look" like they did in 8.0, but slider settings and profile have changed (why i have no idea, and that's the problem).  When i click on the picture it assumes the new properties and goes out of whack.  If i change it to Adobe Standard v2 from Color it just becomes a more muted version of the bad color.  I have to change WB to as shot and adjust all over again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First level CSR support has not been able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW - reverting back to the old version 8.0 fixes the issues, as it no longer has the new color profile changed.  Any image that had been changed (by me in the new version) to Adobe Standarc v2 - it will show as Profile Missing when you switch back to 8.0, but it can be changed to the original Adobe Color or standard and look like it was.

Can not update to the latest version of LR however.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone even acknowledging this issue???LightroomLightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered this issue too after updating to 8.1. If a CR3's white balance was left 'as shot', it looks fine, but if I set it to anything else, they look about 1000k too warm. This is using either the Adobe Color or Canon Standard profile.

It appears my CR2 files and Fujifilm RAF files are not affected by this.

Opening the same CR3 files in ACR instead of Lightroom with the same numeric white balance settings and profile renders the file correctly.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.1

Lightroom 8.1 build 1200465

Camera RAW 11.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The WB is never accurate.  The various values doesn't affect the raw whatsoever. Pick a different profile or WB setting and it changes so simply set WB to taste as the camera and the software are only reporting a large range of possible descriptions of white:

http://digitaldog.net/files/22Thecolorofwhite.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't really have anything to do with the issue, which is that the upgrade actually alters the temperature and profile of previously edited images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First.

What happens if you change to Adobe Standard v2?

Then what happens if you try a Camera Specific profile (after selecting Adobe Standard v2)

Also, does this effect only previously imported images, or brand new ones as well?

Note, Adobe, for the X-T3, is stating to accomplish resting to Adobe Standard v2 then moving on (change to what ever profile you want) for existing X-T3 RAF imports, and states that for new X-T3 RAF imports, no problem should occur. But thats for the -T3.

Sure hope a fix for the X-T3 did not FUBAR the R up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, i think i had noted that it's only with previously edited .CR3 files.  .CR2 files and .CR3 files that weren't edited in 8.0 are fine.

I tried making in Standard v2 and it just wasn't right. Rather than try and find the right new profile to use and temperature combo to get it back to the way I wanted, i had to revert to 8.0 and the previous version of Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera profiles are White Balance agnostic by design.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, looks like Adobe fouled up.

Now, as you are back to v8, is that Adobe Standard v2 File no longer present?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

Cool, looks like Adobe fouled up.

Yes they did! In the past when a new v2 profile is created the original profile is kept. This was done so that image files edited with the original file will not change when updating LR to version that contains new v2 profiles. The original profile exists in the LR 8.1 installation's Camera Raw/ Camera Profiles/ Adobe Standard folder, but for some reason it is not visible inside the LR 8.1 Profile Browser.

EDIT

I suggest posting this as a 'Problem Report' at the Photoshop Family forum: Photoshop Family Customer Community

OK, mea culpa! The original Canon EOS R Adobe Standard profile is available in LR 8.1 It's hidden in the 'Legacy' Profile group. Here's how to find and use it.

1) Click on the + icon at the top of the Profile Browser panel and then click on 'Mange Profiles.

2) Next check the 'User Profiles' box.

It should now appear in the Legacy group as shown below. If not close and reopen LR. You can now reassign this profile to previously edited files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confused, you say v2 is not visible in the profile browser, but your last screenshot shows it.

oh, and I am not the OP, my last question was fir curiosity if v8 after reverting from v8.1 would still have the dip file in question. Yes the OP needs to contact Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

Confused, you say v2 is not visible in the profile browser, but your last screenshot shows it.

Please see my edited reply #31 addressing the OP's issue.

davidg36166309  wrote

oh, and I am not the OP, my last question was fir curiosity if v8 after reverting from v8.1 would still have the dip file in question. Yes the OP needs to contact Adobe

No. if LR 8.1 is uninstalled and 8.0 reinstalled then the Adobe Standard v2 profile will not be visible in the profile folder or inside LR 8.0. I believe this would also cause any image files assigned the Adobe Standard v2 profile in LR 8.1 to revert to the original Adobe Standard profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd.  So maybe it's a dumb question, but how would i reassign the profile to the edited files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select a file that was previously edited with the original Adobe Standard profile and reapply it from the Legacy profile group. You can also make it a 'Favorite so it appears in the Profile dropdown menu. Next select any of the files that also had the original profile assigned and with the first image most selected click on the Sync button at the bottom of the Develop panel. In the popup select 'None,'  check just 'Treatment & Proifle,' and then click 'Synchronize.'

The only difference I see is a slight increase in color saturation with the original Adobe Standard and no change in WB. Let us know your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is good to know, but it does not fix the problem of the white balance being off. It also would have been good to know that they were updating some of the profiles to v2 and why... I saw no mention of this in the release notes for this version of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all nice to know, but it doesn't solve the problem.  It doesn't matter what camera profile you have selected, legacy or otherwise, and it doesn't matter if you've changed your white balance value numerically or via a slider - if you have changed the white balance on a CR3 file to anything except the As Shot value, the Library preview and any exported files have a white balance probably 3000K or more warmer than the preview (correctly) displayed in the Develop module.

This problem occurs whether or not you have previously edited a file prior to updating to 8.1 - the reason people in this thread are saying it only effects files edited prior to updating is because all the unedited files still have their white balance set to As Shot, meaning they don't display incorrectly.  The fact is that all CR3 files are affected; all one has to do is change the white balance to any value beyond As Shot.  Changing the white balance as little a difference as from 4000K As Shot to 4001K will cause the resultant exports and Library previews to be several thousand kelvin warmer than the set value.

This is very obviously some kind of rendering issue, possibly related to profiles, because the images display properly in the Develop Module; even the filmstrip previews do if you scroll through the photos in Develop and make the Develop module render a new preview... but ain't nobody got time for that - this is a glaring bug, and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Examples on an ambiguous poorly shot picture I don't particularly care about:

Blue's White Balance is set to As Shot.

Green's White Balance has been set manually in Lightroom.

Screenshot 2018-12-22 04.47.43.png

Blue's WB is As Shot.  Green's WB is set cooler and more magenta, and has not yet been clicked on in Develop, so the preview in the filmstrip shows the problematic warm preview.

Screenshot 2018-12-22 04.47.56.png

Scrolling over to Green, the image now displays correctly, and shows the preview in filmstrip correctly as well.

Screenshot 2018-12-22 04.52.42.png

Go back to the Library module and the bug rears its head again; previews are displayed incorrectly.

DX7A2353.jpg

The exported file itself is of course also effected, as has already been explained.

Once again, changing the Profile and Process Version does not change the effect - this bug effects all EOS R CR3 files upon changes of White Balance.  Changing settings other than White Balance does not seem to introduce this problem.

Reverting back to 8.0, we see everything is back to normal, and the files render as expected.  You will also note that the Green (corrected) image is slightly warmer in 8.0 compared to the properly displaying image in 8.1 - this is likely due to changes in the Profile as previously discussed in this thread.

Screenshot 2018-12-22 05.02.34.png

The bug not present in version 8.0, seen in the Library module.

DX7A2353.jpg

The exported file from version 8.0.

Please acknowledge this bug and let us know when a fix will be coming Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines