• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Not Syncing Crop Settings between tif and raw files.

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always been able to crop and paste develop settings no problem. Lately I've been trying to sync just the crop settings between the edited tif and the original raw file but it's not working. I've checked to make sure images are the same size. Images are identical when the crop is reset but changes to one don't mirror to the other. I've tried syncing and a manual copy and paste. Anybody else experiencing anything else like this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the way you want to accomplish this, I get that, but try simply selecting all the related Images you want to hopefully simarly crop, make sure auto sync is on, and cropping the most selected one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the original RAW in Portrait orientation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I generally wait until final stages to crop so I can compare and contrast the original with the edit. I've never experienced this behavior. Pixels/dimensions are identical. When you paste the crop settings from the edit to the original it crops but doesn't mirror the edit. I've searched all over, I can't figure it out. Some guy made a plugin as a work around but it's a pain. I did notice the plugin has an additional "relative size" box that has to be unticked for the image settings to copy/paste. I'm unfamiliar of any similar settings within LR itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom considers the original RAW file to ALWAYS be imported in landscape mode and then either auto rotated or manually rotated to portrait.  When you edit the photo in Photoshop or another external editor and import that file in portrait mode it is considered to be in "originally" in portrait mode in Lightroom.  Essentially you are syncing landscape cropping to a portrait photo.  The only way around this is to rotate the photo in the "external editor" to landscape (same orientation as original RAW) right before saving and re-rotate to portrait after it is brought into Lr.   Please be aware as this may mess up the syncing of local adjustments as Lr doesn't seem to be consistent about this syncing/rotation issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. I tried the rotating work around but that didn't work for me. The Any Crop plugin seems to be the only thing that kind of works for now. Hopefully someone at Adobe is paying attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works great for me. You must be doing something wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I had more time I checked Crop, Spot, Grad, Radial and Brush local adjustments.

ALL  adjustments EXCEPT Grad do not sync on Portrait photos returned from Photoshop and NOT rotated in Lightroom.

All 5 sync ok if you use the technique I listed above.

This is not a bug as Lightroom thinks the Tiff is an unrotated NEW photo and doesn't know it is a derivative photo from the rotated RAW.  I consider the Grad being the odd local adjust a bug but others disagree and I will not debate that as it doesn't  bother me either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe acknowledged several years ago it's a bug that crop settings and local adjustments don't copy properly between images of different formats: Lightroom CC: Crops and local adjustments don't copy properly on rotated pics | Photoshop Family Cus... . Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report and click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner -- this will make it a little more likely Adobe will fix the bug before the next ice age, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes. In the last few releases, Adobe has been fixing a number of these old bugs, so your feedback could be helpful.  They just fixed another crop bug, so they might get to this one too (though based on what senior engineer Simon Chen said, this bug could be much more work to fix).

Unfortunately, the only known workaround is use the Any Crop plugin. With all the desired images selected and the source image most-selected, do File > Plug-in Extras > Any Crop - Copy.  Click OK and then do File > Plug-in Extras > Any Crop - Paste.

I did notice the plugin has an additional "relative size" box that has to be unticked for the image settings to copy/paste.

Hmm, I just tested that again, and crop settings correctly copied from a raw to a TIFF with Relative Size checked.  Are the dimensions of your raw and TIFF identical?  What exactly happens when you do Any Crop - Copy with Relative Size checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Any Crop plugin works some of the time. I get mixed results. The only rhyme or reason I've been able to figure out is it only works with relative size ticked on the first copy/paste. Thereafter, if you adjust the crop again and attempt to copy/paste with relative size selected, the result is way off unless you deselect "relative size" and even with that it's still off, just not as bad.

Also, I did the "me too" link you suggested above. Not sure why I've never noticed that behavior before. I've been using LR its inception. Maybe because I've been doing a larger volume of headshots than usual. Seems like a big oversight to something so fundamental on Adobe's part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. But only recently. In Lightroom 6 I never experienced this behavior. Also I did some Crop Copy/Pastes before in LR CC and never noticed this bug. In my case the angle gets translated and the general idea of the crop too. But it's just not exactly the same.

This should be a feature that works and in my opinion the priority should be way above any new features as this is a basic feature that just has to work.

In case it matters I'm using PSD files from Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure you've added your opinion to the bug report: Lightroom: Crops and local adjustments don't copy properly on rotated pics | Photoshop Family Custom... . Be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner, making it a little more likely Adobe will fix the bug and notifying you when the bug's status changes. Product developers don't participate in this forum (a user-to-user forum).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines