4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2008 11:39 AM by gwklam

linking to library

gwklam
      how do i change something within a movieclip that is only stored within the library.

ex. movieclip is only in the library, and i wanted to change the color and alpha of the movieclip without putting that movieclip on the main timeline.
        • 1. Re: linking to library
          Level 7
          Hello gwklam,

> how do i change something within a movieclip that is only stored
          > within the library.
          >
          > ex. movieclip is only in the library, and i wanted to change the
          > color and alpha of the movieclip without putting that movieclip on the
          > main timeline.

extremely strange request...
          Why do you want to change MC's properties if you are not going to put it
          on stage?
          The best approach will be to delete this MC even from library if you are
          not using it...

• 2. Re: linking to library
            rlc5611 Level 1
            Two things:

One - you can drag the MC onto the stage from the library, edit it, and then delete it from the stage. The library will then contain the updated clip.

Two - double click on the MC in the library window and you can edit it that way.
            • 3. linking to library
              gwklam Level 1
              read messege below
              • 4. Re: linking to library
                gwklam Level 1
                well, i'm creating an (Operating System)-like thing using both actionscript 2 and 3. you can test it here at : http://silentsleeper.com/SilentSleeperOS .
                Like windows or mac, you can customize the window properties even if it is not on stage, this is what i plan to do. to dynamically change the properties of my window(which is a movieclip in the library, but of course like every OS, will show on the stage if someone clicks on a button or something).

I guess the best way will be to follow rlc5611's first example, but if there is a better more professional way, i'd go for it.