20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2008 4:52 PM by liveoak

Intel Mac projector

deskstar
      I've just upgraded to Director 11 for the sole reason to get my cross-platform CD project working on Intel Macs.
      I'm quite disappointed to find this much advertised 'improvement' to be extremely buggy. The simple task of publishing a Macintosh 'standard' projector for does not work! The standard projector is NOT a standalone projector but generates an application error on launch: "This application requires Shockwave Player 11, which can not be found. Click OK to download it." (Clicking OK doesn't do anything but make the error message disappear.)
      Choosing the Shockwave player type instead of 'standard' outputs a file of exactly the same size !?! What's going on?
        • 1. Re: Intel Mac projector
          diruser
          A standard projector shouldn't get this error. Is it playing once you install the shockwave 11?
          • 2. Re: Intel Mac projector
            deskstar Level 1
            Yes it is. And while the projector created from Director 10.1 used to lead to instant system freezes on MacIntel, this projector is running quite well. I just discovered that it does not recognize sound cues from linked SWA files though ...
            • 3. Intel Mac projector
              Rich_BinaryLabs
              For what it's worth, I'm seeing the same exact thing with projectors I create on my Windows XP machine, and then play on a Mac G4 running OSX 10.3.9. Worked fine, however on another G4 running OSX 10.4.10.
              • 4. Re: Intel Mac projector
                14thStreetStudio
                I'm utterly confused.

I've been using D10 for the past four years publishing stand-alone Projectors to PowerPC Macs from a Windows development workstation ( I did hate the HQX stuff but I did soon figure that nonsense out).

I just upgraded to D11 expecting a cleaned-up cross-platform publishing scheme. Now I can't even _find_ the Mac executable(s) !

A tree of directories is created containing all kinds of stuff that I don't comprehend. The help file isn't helpful on this topic at all.

It isn't clear that I can actually publish a Projector for both PowerPC and Intel Macs. I naively expected a total of three executables: Intel/Windows, PowerPC/Mac and Intel/Mac. Is there some clever scheme that I simply don't understand? Have I bought D11 in error?

Where should I be looking? What file(s) do I need to place on the different Mac platforms?
                • 5. Re: Intel Mac projector
                  14thStreetStudio Level 1
                  With a little more persistence I have the Mac Projector running. The tree of visible directories (sixteen in total) is some 'universal' Mac scheme that supports both PowerPC and Intel processors along with their respective resource files. The .app directory extension was confusing for a dyed-in-the-wool PC user. Perhaps the directory tree should have been given hidden/system attributes on the PC and a custom folder icon to distinguish it from a normal directory.

I too encountered the Shockwave non-download saga previously reported. Does this mean that the Projector is being interpreted and not a 'real' executable? Is the Shockwave player needed just for some libraries/binaries?

I am glad for the small improvements in the D11 user interface: thumbnails that keep their correct size; an import dialog box that isn't just a keyhole view of files and the ability to invoke the script editor by double clicking a Behavior (how odd that it always worked for Movies but not Behaviors in D10).
                  • 6. Re: Intel Mac projector
                    deskstar Level 1
                    After some more testing, I found projectors created on Windows XP are not working on any Mac system before 10.4. They do work on the majority of 10.4 and 10.5 systems though, but not on all. And where they works, I have performance issues - with movies that ran perfectly well on non Non-Intel macs in projectors created from Director 10.

The convoluted directory tree of the new "universal" player is also the death knell to hybrid CD-Rom distribution. A projector that runs perfectly well from a USB stick now generates errors when burnt onto a custom Mac / PC hybrid produced with Toast:
                    "Director player error - Unable to load movie playlist. Does the .INI file exist? It must contain a section '[Movies}' with anentry 'Movie01=Pathname.dir'. "
                    I suspect that the HFS file system that is used in the custom hybrid mode has limitations which the player with its nested directories violates. The alternative is to use the "Mac OS extended and PC (hybrid)" mode, but then all files belonging to the respective other operating system stay visible - quite an unsatisfactory solution.
                    • 7. Re: Intel Mac projector
                      deskstar Level 1
                      I tried some more CD-Rom formats for distribution of the projector. After the unsuccessful attempts with Toast's custom hybrid, I gave the basic hybrid MacOS extended & PC a shot, because I suspected the HFS was too limited for the player file structure. But no luck here either! This format gives me the old "This application requires Shockwave Player 11...", message, which is really weird because the same files, arranged in the same structure, run fine on the same systems from a USB stick.

Just to pinpoint the problem, I also tried to burn it on a Mac only data disc, but the projector still asks for the Shockwave player on launch and wont run. I tried this on 4 MacIntel and PPC systems running 10.4 and 10.5 - always with the same result. They all accept the USB stick without a hitch.

Has anyone successfully launched a Director 11 projector on a Mac from a CD ?
                      • 8. Re: Intel Mac projector
                        diruser Level 1
                        I tried creating the CD with Mac's default burn software and I could create+Run the content successfully. I tried running the content from the CD on MacTels and PCs. Am I missing anything here? Are you doing a standard Projector or a shockwave Projector? More info would help to analyse the issue.
                        • 9. Re: Intel Mac projector
                          Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
                          More info that may help track this issue down. I spent some time today trying things out. I'm working on a windows XP machine. On that machine, I published a movie as a stand-alone projector for Windows, and a stand-alone projector for Mac (no Shockwave). The windows projector works just fine on my machine, and every other windows machine I try it on.

I then copied the Mac projector up to my windows 2000 server, and then down to several Macs, with the following results:
                          PowerPC G4: OSX 10.3.9. Gave me the "need shockwave 11" error
                          PowerPC G4: OSX 10.4.10 Worked fine
                          PowerPC G4: OSX 10.4.11 Worked fine
                          PowerPC G4: OSX 10.3.9 (a different one) gave shockwave error

Then, just for grins, I burned everything to a cross-platform CD, using the 10.4.10 machine above, and the Mac's default burn software. This CD worked find on my Windows machine, and all Macs running OSX 10.4.10 or newer, but would not launch the projector at all on the 10.3.9 machines...no error message, nothing. By the way, the CD also ran fine on an Intel Macbook Pro running 10.5.2.

Anybody else able to create a projector that runs on a Mac running 10.3.x?
                          • 10. Re: Intel Mac projector
                            Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
                            And yet another tasty tidbit...

If I copy my Mac projector from my Windows 2000 server to my 10.4.10 Mac using an Appletalk connection, the projector gives me the shockwave 11 error, but if I copy it down using a TCP-IP connection, it works just fine.

curiouser and curiouser.
                            • 11. Re: Intel Mac projector
                              liveoak
                              quote:

Originally posted by: Rich_BinaryLabs
                              And yet another tasty tidbit...

If I copy my Mac projector from my Windows 2000 server to my 10.4.10 Mac using an Appletalk connection, the projector gives me the shockwave 11 error, but if I copy it down using a TCP-IP connection, it works just fine.

curiouser and curiouser.

I'm also curious. Have you checked whether the Sharing and Permissions settings (or the "Open with" setting) are identical for the two files?
                              • 12. Re: Intel Mac projector
                                Level 7
                                Rich_BinaryLabs wrote:
                                > And yet another tasty tidbit...
                                >
                                > If I copy my Mac projector from my Windows 2000 server to my 10.4.10
                                > Mac using an Appletalk connection, the projector gives me the
                                > shockwave 11 error, but if I copy it down using a TCP-IP connection,
                                > it works just fine.

That sounds like there might be something wrong with AFP as opposed to SMB
                                on W2000. Do you have a W2003 server you can test it with? Or you could
                                install a W2008 server in a virtual machine - Microsoft have some ready-made
                                trial versions that you just load into MS Virtual PC.

Or (perhaps more likely) it might be a fault with AFP on 10.x.y Macs, but
                                somehow I don't remember the errata lists from OS X updates ;-)

(I connect our Macs to our Linux servers using SMB rather than AFP because
                                it seems to work better, even way back to MacOS 9.)

Andrew

• 13. Intel Mac projector
                                  kvenkatesh
                                  Hi,

Mac OSX 10.3 is not a supported platform for Di11 authoring and playback (includes Projector and Shockwave 11).

K Venkatesh
                                  Senior Program Manager - Director-Shockwave.
                                  • 14. Re: Intel Mac projector
                                    Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
                                    <Mac OSX 10.3 is not a supported platform for Di11 authoring and playback>

Aha, so there's the answer...Director 11 is of no use to me then, as most of my development is for school use, and we must remain compatible back further.

Thanks for clearing that up, I certainly should have started with a review of the supported OS!
                                    • 15. Re: Intel Mac projector
                                      liveoak Level 1
                                      quote:

Originally posted by: kvenkatesh
                                      Mac OSX 10.3 is not a supported platform for Di11 authoring and playback (includes Projector and Shockwave 11).

K Venkatesh

Wow - this slipped by me as well. I can understand limiting authoring to new machines, but as developers we need to have at least a little backwards compatibility. Is there any chance that once D11 stabilizes, support for 10.3 will be added?

OS X 10.4 was only released on April 29, 2005. So telling someone who bought a new computer less than 3 years ago that their operating system is too old to run a current program is definitely a big turn off for us developers. While I've already bought a couple of upgrades of D11 for testing and was hoping to start using D11 in summer 2009, it looks like even that may be too optimistic.
                                      • 16. Re: Intel Mac projector
                                        Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
                                        <Wow - this slipped by me as well.>

Thanks liveoak, that makes me feel better. I'm rather embarrassed at having made such a big assumption about backward compatibility, and rambling on here a bit about my problems without ever checking it. If it weren't such a tired line, I'd be tempted to quote Homer Simpson right now.

Oh well, sticking with MX 2004 for now, until I absolutely need Unicode for something.
                                        • 17. Intel Mac projector
                                          liveoak Level 1
                                          quote:

Originally posted by: Rich_BinaryLabs
                                          Oh well, sticking with MX 2004 for now, until I absolutely need Unicode for something.

I need Unicode as the foundations for all my projects (I have to incorporate thousands of lines of code that do all sort of character by character checks and conversions), so I was very excited about D11. But any new projectors will still have to run on my user's systems.

Unlike many posting on this forum, however, I'm patient. It is obvious that D11 is now in its infancy - not only is there no support for a 3 year old Mac OS (10.3), but there is no support for current Mac OS (10.5). It is apparent that rewriting D11 for the Mac was a major undertaking, and the development team is just trying to stabilize its performance on one standard (10.4). Once all the new issues that this rewrite has introduced are worked out, of course they have to get everything working on 10.5. But there still could be a shift to include 10.3 once some debugging resources are freed up.

• 18. Re: Intel Mac projector
                                            AndyKeplinger
                                            I'm also seeing this error. Created the projector on the Windows partition of my Powerbook. The standard projector seems to be behaving just like the shockwave projector. If I knew where to put the proper files, I'd make this work, but I'll probably need some guidance from Adobe.
                                            • 19. Re: Intel Mac projector
                                              PEkkaB
                                              quote:

Originally posted by: liveoak
                                              quote:

Originally posted by: kvenkatesh

K Venkatesh

Wow - this slipped by me as well. I can understand limiting authoring to new machines, but as developers we need to have at least a little backwards compatibility.

No but seriously, I've been scouring the knowledge base for some hours, trying to find info about Playback/Operating system compatability and it seems it's nowhere to be found.

I've been away from Director development for a few years (main experience with 8.5.1), and am suddenly asked to do a major project, and I have no clue what version of Director supports what OS.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Pekka

• 20. Re: Intel Mac projector
                                                liveoak Level 1
                                                quote:

Originally posted by: PEkkaB
                                                I've been away from Director development for a few years (main experience with 8.5.1), and am suddenly asked to do a major project, and I have no clue what version of Director supports what OS.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Well, I've been using MX2004 for a few years with very large projectors installed on the users internal HD's, and they are running on almost every OS from MS or Apple. XP, XP 64 bit, Vista, Mac OS X (10.2.8 and later), even WIn98. Have the occasional issue with QT o n WIndows boxes, but that can usually be solved with the Advanced settings in the QT Preferences.

Things run smoothly under Rosetta for the Mac Intel boxes of the last few years - can't think of anything that is "broken" by Rosetta. So while I'd love to give people a Universal binary projector, I'm too concerned with losing support for 10.2 and 10.3 to think that is a good tradeoff. I think we need to give D11 some time to settle down, then see where things are heading.

Unlike most forum users here, however, I'm optimistic now that we have a future for Director. As a developer, I can only imagine the code base of the old Macromedia train-wreck that Director had become.