29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 9:32 AM by thismarty

Director 11 Won't Install

thismarty Level 1

When I try to install my shiny new (full ,upgrade) copy of D11, I get the following error:

"Adobe Director 11 cannot be installed because it conflicts with:
      Adobe Director 11"

Impressive.

I've tried pruning my system of any bits of D10 or the September preview build that I installed (no actual D11 betas were installed on this computer).

Anyone have any idea what I might be able to do?
        • 1. Director 11 Won't Install
          Necromanthus Level 2
          The D11 installer seems to be buggy on Vista 64bit and XP-64bit.
          If you're on XP-SP2 32bit, be sure the Windows Installer 3.1 is present on your system.
          If not: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD41 38C&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

cheers
          • 2. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
            Necromanthus Level 2
            And because of the lack of communication: Director 11 is not supported on XP-64 and Vista 64
            • 3. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
              dsdsdsdsd Level 1
              hello,

how do I find out about the 32bit OR 64bit??
              I am using a xp sp2

thanks
              dsdsdsdsd
              • 4. Director 11 Won't Install
                dsdsdsdsd Level 1
                sorry - double posted
                • 5. Director 11 Won't Install
                  dsdsdsdsd Level 1
                  sorry - triple posted
                  • 6. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                    thismarty Level 1
                    I'm on MacOS 10.4.

Anyone out there have any idea why my Director upgrade won't install (see above) on MacOS?

• 7. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                      Sanjay B Adobe Employee
                      Uninstall preview version

1. Mac: launch Applications->Utilities->Adobe Installer->Adobe Director 11

2. Windows: Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Director 11.
                      • 8. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                        kvenkatesh Level 1
                        I'm speculating that this issue may also occur if the system has expired trial / preview builds of other Adobe products. It is then worth trying to install Director 11 after uninstalling all expired trial / preview Adobe product builds.

If the expired trial / preview is not uninstalling, the work-around may be to back-date the system to valid trial / preview date and try uninstalling. I'm not sure whether this works, but why keep expired trials / previews anyway?

K Venkatesh
                        • 9. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                          Martin Schaefer Level 1
                          No expired trials on the system, all available cleanup ultilities used, registry perfectly cleaned, no Adobe remnants on the system.

These problems are nothing new. These problems exist for a lot of CS3 products too and since quite some time, without a perfectly working solution yet.

My advice:
                          In order to prevent such things from happening you could give away 30-day serials, which I know at least existed prior to CS3.

Cheers,
                          Martin
                          • 10. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                            Sanjay B Adobe Employee
                            can you give details of issue you are facing. Could you install successsfuly?
                            If installer is failing send Logs at:
                            mac: /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/Director 11.log.gz

win: C:\Program Files\CommonFiles\Adobe\Installers\Director 11.log.gz
                            • 11. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                              Martin Schaefer Level 1
                              It's the trial period issue for me.
                              Install was successful, without problems.
                              In case it helps you solve the problem, here's the relevant snippet from the alm.log:

_info_: ==========================================
                              _info_: Start ALM 2.1 Release (build 2.1.2.1082)
                              _info_: TYPE = 1
                              _info_: GUID = License-GUID-Director
                              _info_: LANG = en_US
                              _info_: Load AdobeConfig (version = 1.3)
                              _info_: Load AdobeConfig (version = 1.3)
                              _info_: ----- Start Serialization Workflow -----
                              _info_: User Choose to Start Trial or Upgrade Later
                              __req_: (func: adobe::alm::ALM_TrustStorage_TSAccessor_LoadASR, line: 1204)
                              _info_: User Chose To Quit App
                              _info_: ----- End Serialization Workflow -----
                              _info_: ALM_License_Check Return Error 137:1
                              _info_:
                              _info_: End ALM
                              _info_: ==========================================

Cheers,
                              Martin
                              • 12. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                thismarty Level 1
                                I just installed D11 on another one of my Macs then copied the installation to the Mac with issues.

Works just fine now. Launches. Activated. Registered.

So remind me, what is the benefit of installers?

• 13. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                  Level 7

"MartyPlumbo" <me@martyplumbo.com> wrote in message
                                  news:fsebdt$f9h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >I just installed D11 on another one of my Macs then copied the
                                  >installation to
                                  > the Mac with issues.
                                  >
                                  > Works just fine now. Launches. Activated. Registered.
                                  >
                                  > So remind me, what is the benefit of installers?

To make sure users dont mess with the files and break the installation
                                  and then blame the programmers.

So you are sure you dont have any broken dependencies now?
                                  No conflicting files, drivers, or resources? All folders and files the
                                  right permissions?

If something breaks, do you expect tech support to help you?

Richard.

• 14. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                    hobin rood-A6phwi
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                    If something breaks, do you expect tech support to help you?

the question is: who wants tech support after all this mess?
                                    no humor in here... really don't understand why....
                                    • 15. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                      angryNerd Level 1
                                      Ok, so I've coughed up £250 for the DIR11 upgrade (Vista). Great...

Can't install it at all. I get the below alert on the very first click of the installer (ie, before i've even extracted the files from the original download).

Alert: "A problem occurred while creating the destination folder. Please check the folder permissions or choose a different folder"

Well, no other folder will work anywhere on any HD. Is the problem with this installer or Vista I wonder. I already know Vista is excrement, is DIR11 a total waste of my time too?

I'm upgrading from MX04 and haven't bothered with any trial versions of DIR11 - it's a fresh, simple upgrade, or so I thought...
                                      • 16. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                        angryNerd Level 1
                                        Ok, simple solution to my particular issue with installation.

When you buy and download the upgrade you get a .exe file. It's not a .exe file, it's a .zip file. So, don't double click it, just right click and expand it as with any NORMAL zip file.

Thanks Adobe for wasting 4 hours of my life, a right click would have been fine for me in the first place - if I'd known it was a zip file all along with the correct extension
                                        • 17. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                          thismarty Level 1
                                          Sorry, Richard.

I should have mentioned that I am using a Mac.
                                          • 18. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                            Level 7

"66mrbd7" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                            news:fsfgil$nh6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            >
                                            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                            > If something breaks, do you expect tech support to help you?

>
                                            > the question is: who wants tech support after all this mess?
                                            > no humor in here... really don't understand why....
                                            >

What mess?
                                            I only hear a lot of people complain, and nobody is really trying to
                                            solve a problem.
                                            What did anyone do to solve the problem?

My install of Dir 11 on Vista went flawless. Everything is working
                                            well.
                                            Of course I read the docs, the readme's and the newsgroups, I know
                                            about computers, accounts, permissions and installs.

If you need help, just ask a relevant question.

Richard.

• 19. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                              Level 7

news:fsgps4$al5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              > Sorry, Richard.
                                              >
                                              > I should have mentioned that I am using a Mac.
                                              >

What difference does that make?
                                              Macs are computers too.

R.

• 20. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                thismarty Level 1

@Richard:

I mention the platform because Mac applications are generally self-contained - no DDL's or other "dependancies", no registry hive entries, no absolute linkages, etc. I'm not evangelizing, just noting that there are real technical reasons that make installers much less relevant on the Mac side. I do love Windows and I have loved installers - just not ones that won't install the $300 worth of software they contain.

• 21. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                  Level 7

news:fshaem$t98$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  > @Richard:
                                                  >
                                                  > I mention the platform because Mac applications are generally
                                                  > self-contained -
                                                  > no DDL's or other "dependancies", no registry hive entries, no
                                                  > absolute
                                                  > linkages, etc. I'm not evangelizing, just noting that there are
                                                  > real technical
                                                  > reasons that make installers much less relevant on the Mac side. I
                                                  > do love
                                                  > Windows and I have loved installers - just not ones that won't
                                                  > install the $300
                                                  > worth of software they contain.
                                                  >

I am sorry, but I think you are either naive, or a bit behind.
                                                  OSX nowadays has exactly the same "problems" / "complexities" as any
                                                  other OS, including Windows, Linux / Unix.

BTW: You DID notice the readme file in the download I hope? It has a
                                                  special mention for uninstalling on Mac.... now why is that?

Sure, me too I have copied my installations of Director over to new
                                                  machines.
                                                  Sure you can try. And if it doesnt work you can fiddle it to work.
                                                  Most of the time.
                                                  But that is getting more and more difficult with the latest OS'en, and
                                                  with a good reason.

Your 2 machines just happened to be similar enough to not cause a
                                                  problem.

I used to be making my the installers for my software, but have given
                                                  up on it because of the complexities.

Richard.

• 22. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                    wgb14 Level 1
                                                    Hi,

I had similar problems with director on Windows Vista and Windows XP. On windows Vista I found two solutions to make director run without any problems.1) Deactivate user accounts 2) run the program as an admin. On Windows XP Home, I was not able to find any solutions. I still get "there is a problem activating demo serial... try to unistall. etc.........". I haven't tried it on Windows XP Pro as it is my main development machine. Perhaps I will wait for adobe to solve these problems before buying the software.
                                                    • 23. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                      Sanjay B Adobe Employee
                                                      The demo SN that Director picksup was meant only for preview. The demo SN will not activate anymore. Only SN obtained with purchased product will work.
                                                      • 24. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                        wgb14 Level 1
                                                        I don't think so... my demo activation works fine on Vista
                                                        • 25. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                          kvenkatesh Level 1
                                                          If you downloaded a 30-day trial, it will work because a 30-day trial serial no. is already embedded in the build. So it has worked for you. I think Sanjay is referring to the preview build that has long expired.

K Venkatesh
                                                          Senior Program Manager, Director-Shockwave

quote:

Originally posted by: wgb14
                                                          I don't think so... my demo activation works fine on Vista

• 26. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                            Sanjay B Adobe Employee
                                                            The D11 downloadable on windows is a self-extracting executable. It extracts the zipped content in a folder on desktop and starts installation. Looks like some setting on your system prevented launching it on double click.
                                                            • 27. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                              thismarty Level 1
                                                              Thanks, Sanjay and Kvenkatesh.

The thing is, I'm not getting to the point that I can enter a serial number during the failed installs on my Mac system.

Basically, I launch the installer and it's first real state is the one depicted in this screenshot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21638351@N04/2360288246

I've run the Adobe-included uninstaller, pruned my preferences of all Director mentions (D10 and D11), even checked the installer log - all to no meaningful avail. It just doesn't seem to want to even begin to install.

And surely, you can imagine how frustrating this is. No install. No recourse. Goofy error message. And then just copying the application folder from another machine makes everything work (with all apologies to Richard).

I'm really excited about playing with D11 and about what a new version of the software represents, but this, and the various other issues and omissions noted in this forum and elsewhere, are really adding up to make the experience very pale for me.

• 28. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                                Sanjay B Adobe Employee
                                                                Marty, the screen clearly means un-installation of D11 was unsuccessful. Even if you remove all obvious traces of D11, the Adobe installer database retains these entries. We will be providing a cleanup script by 11 April for users stuck with this issue.
                                                                • 29. Re: Director 11 Won't Install
                                                                  thismarty Level 1
                                                                  "Clearly" is a subjective term, Sanjay. ;-)

Bear in mind, the installer never told me that it had detected a previous D11 installation or bits thereof, nor that it was un-installing it.