Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running H/F 10 is blank

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I recently inherited a library of FM books and I am using FM 2017; it is the first time I am using FM on a regular, in-depth basis.

In one of the books, Table of Contents does not appear in the header on the table of contents pages, even though the Running H/F 10 variable appears in the header for the master pages used on these pages. When I manually define the Running H/F 10 variable as Table of Contents, that text appears fine in the header.

Before I changed it, the Running H/F 10 variable definition was:

<Default ¶ Font><$paratext[TOC_Title,AppendixHeadingRepeat,AppendixHeading 1,Heading 1]>

Which I believe is consistent with the other books.

As the Running H/F 10 variable is not used anywhere else, manually defining the variable with static text is an acceptable workaround with no negative consequences, as far as I can tell. Nonetheless, I am curious as to why this is happening and how to resolve it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

That is what I was asking. That Running H/F string was looking for a Title_TOC tag (tag and styles are synonyms) to pull into the footer. Until you had a Title_TOC tag in the file—or one of the other tags listed—it was going to remain blank. I can see why the white color would have thrown you off.

Glad you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jay:

What is the paragraph tag name for the Table of Contents title on page one of that file?

The footer is looking for TOC_Title and it must match exactly. Any variation on the spelling/spaciing/capitalization and it won't find a match.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, Barb.

I don't think I understand what you are asking.

In any case, what you wrote did spur me to continue poking around, and I believe I have resolved the issue.

I discovered:

• TOC_Title is a paragraph style. I had not realized this. I had thought it might be a variable, but it did not appear in the list of variables.
  • In the table of contents of the other books, the TOC_Title paragraph style has been applied to a string of text (Table of Contents) that exists on the first table of contents body page, but whose color is white (which kind of shocked me).

So, I believe that making sure that the Table of Contents string is on the first table of contents of body page and that the TOC_Title paragraph style is applied to that string, resolves the issue.

Thanks, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I was asking. That Running H/F string was looking for a Title_TOC tag (tag and styles are synonyms) to pull into the footer. Until you had a Title_TOC tag in the file—or one of the other tags listed—it was going to remain blank. I can see why the white color would have thrown you off.

Glad you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Barb. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines