Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

generate thousands of png images based on a list of words with indesign

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to generate png images out of a list of words. Basically what I would like to achieve is this:

test3_6.png

I thought of using indesign for it's kerning quality and the possibility of using scripting. I have some knowledge of javascript but never used scripting in ID.

Conceptually I was thinking of something like this: for each word in my word list, create a new page, create a text block that is the width of the page, position it vertically, enter the word and style it (font, kerning, center). Export the pages as png images in batches (1000? 10000?).

Does that sound like the right way to go? I could really use so help to kickstart as I started diving into the indesign scripting documentation but I'm a bit scared with my deadline. Thanks!

Best regards,

R.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Did you try investigating DataMerge, you could create a csv as your wordlist, create a template InDesign document with proper formatting and then merge the csv onto this template. Try it using the UI, if you find it suitable then we can easily automate it using script if needed.

Merge data to create form letters, envelopes, or mailing labels in Adobe InDesign

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try investigating DataMerge, you could create a csv as your wordlist, create a template InDesign document with proper formatting and then merge the csv onto this template. Try it using the UI, if you find it suitable then we can easily automate it using script if needed.

Merge data to create form letters, envelopes, or mailing labels in Adobe InDesign

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Manan,

thanks for the fast reply! DataMerge is exactly what I needed. I didn't even think that the exact functionality I needed was already built-in. Amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines