4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2008 5:06 AM by rlc5611

MovieClip over buttons

TimDixon
      Hi all,

I have a simple flash app that has a serise of pages with back,next buttons. There is also a help button. When the user clicks 'help' I have a full page movie clip with the help details that is made visible (it is initially set as _visible=false). The problem I am having, is that the next/back buttons below (that are now masked), still work!! If you move your cursor over where they would be, the finger icon appears and clicking does actually movr the page on or back - even though you can't see it!

Is there something I can do to stop this - or is ther a better way of showing the help page?

Cheers

Tim
        • 1. Re: MovieClip over buttons
          rlc5611 Level 1
          One way is to temporarily disable all those buttons when you make the movie clip visible. and then re-enbale them when you make the MC invisible. If you have no buttons in the MC that you need to interact with, you can make the MC a button which will prevent anything underneath it from being accesible.

full_page_mc_whatevermyinstancenameis.onRollOver = function() {
          this.useHandCursor = false;
          }

If it were me, I would probably go with what is behind door #1. Store all the names of the buttons in an array and then run through a for loop to enable them or disable them as needed.

Another option is to have two full page MCs. One below the one you really want to see. Make the one below a button and use the script above so that it becomes a button but doesn't make the hand cursor pop up and then you can still have buttons in the top MC. Make both of those large MCs visible and invisible at the same time.
          • 2. MovieClip over buttons
            TimDixon Level 1
            might seem a daft question, but how do you 'disable' a button?

(my buttons are NOT components, but movieClips created by me with 'on (rollOver)' scripts)
            • 3. Re: MovieClip over buttons
              rlc5611 Level 1
              something like this. When not enabled, the buttons won't interact with the mouse at all.
              • 4. Re: MovieClip over buttons
                rlc5611 Level 1
                And I keep forgetting that "not" is deprecated so it should be