• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking a main javascript file to an external drive or Dropbox?

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

On a folder on my desktop, I have a .jx file that links to expressions code that changes the copy and colors in an Adobe After Effects project.

I moved this folder to an external drive in order to be able to work on multiple computers. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, After Effects will not reference the document I’m pointing it to.

So, my question for the javascript experts here is this: Can I link After Effects to a javascript file on an external drive (or Dropbox) or does it have to remain on my desktop?

For example, right now the code that is working looks like this:

‘/Users/taradevlin/Desktop/ae-projects/alerts/template-profiles/default-alert.js’;

The code that AE won’t see (on an external drive) looks like this:

‘/Volumes/freelance-projects-backup/ae-projects/alerts/template-profiles/default-alert.js’;

I've asked this question in a CodeAcademy forum, and the experts there tell me that any link to a .js file that is formatted properly should work- whether it's on an external drive or Dropbox.  Is this something with After Effects? 

Does anyone know if this can be done?

I’m sure I’m not the only person who has encountered this. I’m not a javascript expert, clearly (yet!).

Thank you all for any help or direction.

Best,

Tara

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to update this in case someone else has the same question.

I was able to get this to work. 

As I was told in a different forum, if the code is written correctly, it should work even if it points to an external drive or dropbox.  Well, I ended up downloading a little app called "path snagger" and the path that it copied worked.

There were a few "\" in there that I wouldn't have put in myself.

For example - this is the path that worked. So I guess the app copied it correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to update this in case someone else has the same question.

I was able to get this to work. 

As I was told in a different forum, if the code is written correctly, it should work even if it points to an external drive or dropbox.  Well, I ended up downloading a little app called "path snagger" and the path that it copied worked.

There were a few "\" in there that I wouldn't have put in myself.

For example - this is the path that worked. So I guess the app copied it correctly. 

'/Users/taradevlin/Dropbox/FREELANCE\ PROJECTS\ \(Selective\ Sync\ Conflict\)/ae-projects/alerts/template-profiles/default-alert.js';

Thank you!

Best, Tara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines