3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2008 2:43 AM by Newsgroup_User

cross domain major problem

Level 7
      I have a major problem with cross domain and can't quite get my head around
      what I need to do. I have a flash exe file and several text files on my
      local machine on my desktop. I then use loadMovie tp load a swf from a web
      server. This loaded swf needs to be able to access the local text files on
      my desktop, but I get the "Remote SWFs may not access local files" message
      and no data is loaded.

Is this even possible using cross domain policy files? Where do they need to
      go? Is it on the web server or on my desktop? I really need some help on
      this as a deadline is looming.

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: cross domain major problem
          Level 7
          Hello dave,

> I have a major problem with cross domain and can't quite get my head
          > around what I need to do. I have a flash exe file and several text
          > files on my local machine on my desktop. I then use loadMovie tp load
          > a swf from a web server. This loaded swf needs to be able to access
          > the local text files on my desktop, but I get the "Remote SWFs may not
          > access local files" message and no data is loaded.
          >
          > Is this even possible using cross domain policy files? Where do they
          > need to go? Is it on the web server or on my desktop? I really need
          > some help on this as a deadline is looming.
          >
          > Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

Instead of relying on cross-domains-shmomains try to pass all local files
          reading procedures (and similar) to your local flash executor file. And your
          remote flash will be sending only necessary flags while executor will be
          listening for them and engaging necessary commands upon these calls.

• 2. Re: cross domain major problem
            Level 7
            Thanks for the reply, I'm trying this now. Is it not possible then to do
            this in the way I outlined?

"Horus" <horus@gilead-crew.com> wrote in message
            news:75f3d3df182e58ca5d79f8d7f8c6@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello dave,
            >
            >> I have a major problem with cross domain and can't quite get my head
            >> around what I need to do. I have a flash exe file and several text
            >> files on my local machine on my desktop. I then use loadMovie tp load
            >> a swf from a web server. This loaded swf needs to be able to access
            >> the local text files on my desktop, but I get the "Remote SWFs may not
            >> access local files" message and no data is loaded.
            >>
            >> Is this even possible using cross domain policy files? Where do they
            >> need to go? Is it on the web server or on my desktop? I really need
            >> some help on this as a deadline is looming.
            >>
            >> Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.
            >
            >
            > Instead of relying on cross-domains-shmomains try to pass all local files
            > reading procedures (and similar) to your local flash executor file. And
            > your remote flash will be sending only necessary flags while executor will
            > be listening for them and engaging necessary commands upon these calls.
            >
            >

• 3. Re: cross domain major problem
              Level 7
              Hello dave,

> Thanks for the reply, I'm trying this now. Is it not possible then to
              > do this in the way I outlined?

I guess flash player security sandbox won't allow you to do the way you've
              described.