• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient along the stroke will affected by position of the anchor point?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm using Illustrator CC 2015, just found out this problem when i'm playing with the gradient on the stroke.

Those line are using the same gradient but it just looks different... (Image below)

In this case i just want to create a simple line with gradient by using two anchor point only,

Is there anyway to make it work without adding more anchor point?

Thanks much!!

Lokfu

Illustrator​

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 2.23.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-16 at 2.23.40 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the gradient final appearance depends on the anchor points placement. If you choose Expand Appearance for your lines, you will see some kind of the Gradient Mesh which defines the color distribution. So you can control the subtle changing of the gradient by adding or removing points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want just two anchor points, you can adjust the gradient by the slider in the Gradient panel.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what we are looking at.

Does the top image have only lines with 2 achor points?

Did you add anchor points to correct the top one?

Anyway, it is not reproducable in a more recent version (like 2017 or 2018).

I could reproduce something like it  by saving back to CS6, but moving one anchor point along the line corrected the gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LokFu,

Why use paths with so many Anchor Points? They could be an effect of certain (maybe unnecessary) path operations, best avoided.

You can (also) delete the internal ones with the Direct Selection Tool, just deselect, then select and delete the unwanted inner ones, then selecting both end ones and Ctrl/Cmd+J to recreate the path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Thanks for the answer! The anchor point between two ends is not necessary, it is only for the test.
Because when i try to move the slider in the gradient (which on top of the bar) to fine-tune the gradient.

It looks not much different when i move it. Until i add some anchor point into the line,

it start to change the gradient and looks what i want to be.

Maybe i can make it more clear by the image below.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 6.32.35 PM.png
The middle point of the gradient is 70%.
Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 6.32.44 PM.png
The middle point of the gradient is 13%.

But it just looks not much different between this two setting (like the image below)

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 6.32.18 PM.png

When i try to add the anchor point within the line, it start to change the gradient.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 6.33.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-16 at 6.33.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-16 at 6.33.53 PM.png

It looks very different and it is what i expected.

The only problem is the extra anchor point is not what i want,

and i just think is it a bug or something that i make it wrong...

Thanks again!

Lokfu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce that in CC 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this either. Are you applying the gradient to both strokes at one time? What version of AI are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michael, Whatever i applying at one time or do it individual, i will get the same result...

I'm using CC 2015. I will try to use other version of AI for the test later... Thanks anyway!

Lokfu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines