8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 11:25 AM by Doc Raman

Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7

Level 7
      Hi

I'm a Director-developer on Windows
      Now I have to port some my projects on Mac

I've just PC available with Intel processor
      I could Install Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7 on it, but now I have a problem to
      install there a trial of director MX 2004 (sit-file)
      As I understand, Director was developed for Power PC Processors, and my Mac
      OS X runs at Intel
      From documentation I know, that such applications can be started under
      Rosetta emulator

But I do now find that emulator on my system and can not start the
      installation

Can any one help me with this?

Is Rosetta supported on Tiger 1.4.7 and how can I made Director MX 2004 run
      on that system?

Any help will be appreciated

Sorry for my Incompetent questions, but I'm totally new on Mac OS

Thank you in advance for any answer

game_dev

• 1. Re: Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7
          Level 7
          If you get the file info for the installer (apple+i), there is an option in
          the General section to run it under Rosetta.

You might have to copy the disc contents to the hard drive to do that.

Andrew

• 2. Re: Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7
            Level 7
            I can not find this option in General section

Does this mean that rosetta is not installed on my PC?

"Andrew Morton" <akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
            news:frtqto$cef$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > If you get the file info for the installer (apple+i), there is an option
            > in the General section to run it under Rosetta.
            >
            > You might have to copy the disc contents to the hard drive to do that.
            >
            > Andrew
            >

• 3. Re: Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7
              Level 7
              game_dev wrote:
              > I can not find this option in General section
              >
              > Does this mean that rosetta is not installed on my PC?

[I know that strictly speaking a Mac is a PC, but could you please write Mac
              when you're referring to a Mac PC? Ta.]

Under the Apple menu, use "About This Mac" to make sure it is an Intel Mac.

To open the .sit file, you may need to install Stuffit Expander from
              http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/stuffitexpander/download.html

It is only applications on a Mac which show the "Open using rosetta" option.
              Hmmm.... if the installer is presented as a "package" then it looks like you
              have to open the package to get to the installer app. Google is your friend.

Oh, and the current version of Tiger is 10.4.11.

Andrew

• 4. Re: Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7
                liveoak
                I've made dozens of projectors from MX 2004 and they have all run on Intel Macs without any special need to set up Rosetta beforehand. Since the these new Macs need to run old software that was written before the Intel Macs came out, I doubt that the problem is the "run under Rosetta" check box.

This only becomes an issue when you have a universal application like Photoshop CS3 but a PPC only plug-in. In this case the application must run under Rosetta to access the plug-in. But since Director MX 2004 is non-native to Intel Macs, there should be no complication with Rosetta.

Back to your first question. If you have a Windows PC with an Intel processor, you can NOT just install a Mac OS X system on it. While Intel Macs can run WIndows, WIndows machines can not run the Mac OS X.
                • 5. Re: Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7
                  Level 7
                  Thank you Andrew

I'm one step further, but still stucking

I've installed Stuff expander, extracted installation files from .sit and
                  installed trial of macromedia director

But then when I'm trying to start application per Icon "Director MX 2004"
                  following message is showed
                  "You cannot open the application 'Director MX 2004' because it may be
                  damaged or incomplete"

I Used Apple+I but do not see and option "Open using rosetta" - can this be
                  the cause of my problem?

Any help will be appreciated
                  Orest

"Andrew Morton" <akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
                  news:fru1b6$j0n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > game_dev wrote:
                  >> I can not find this option in General section
                  >>
                  >> Does this mean that rosetta is not installed on my PC?
                  >
                  > [I know that strictly speaking a Mac is a PC, but could you please write
                  > Mac when you're referring to a Mac PC? Ta.]
                  >
                  > Under the Apple menu, use "About This Mac" to make sure it is an Intel
                  > Mac.
                  >
                  > To open the .sit file, you may need to install Stuffit Expander from
                  > http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/stuffitexpander/download.html
                  >
                  > It is only applications on a Mac which show the "Open using rosetta"
                  > option. Hmmm.... if the installer is presented as a "package" then it
                  > looks like you have to open the package to get to the installer app.
                  > Google is your friend.
                  >
                  > Oh, and the current version of Tiger is 10.4.11.
                  >
                  > Andrew
                  >

• 6. Re: Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7
                    Level 7
                    I have mac OS X installed on Intel PC, this is single OS on this computer
                    OS is istalled, the problem is now to install director and check if
                    projector will work correct under Mac (I use some xtras, and not all their
                    functions are supported under mac, for example Windows functions from BudApi
                    Xtra, RavImageExport etc)

"liveoak" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:fru46f$m09$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > I've made dozens of projectors from MX 2004 and they have all run on Intel
                    > Macs
                    > without any special need to set up Rosetta beforehand. Since the these new
                    > Macs
                    > need to run old software that was written before the Intel Macs came out,
                    > I
                    > doubt that the problem is the "run under Rosetta" check box.
                    >
                    > This only becomes an issue when you have a universal application like
                    > Photoshop CS3 but a PPC only plug-in. In this case the application must
                    > run
                    > under Rosetta to access the plug-in. But since Director MX 2004 is
                    > non-native
                    > to Intel Macs, there should be no complication with Rosetta.
                    >
                    > Back to your first question. If you have a Windows PC with an Intel
                    > processor,
                    > you can NOT just install a Mac OS X system on it. While Intel Macs can run
                    > WIndows, WIndows machines can not run the Mac OS X.
                    >

• 7. Re: Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7
                      Level 7
                      As someone said earlier, you are running an old version of Tiger. The
                      updates are free, so why not update it? There were significant
                      improvements made to Rosetta in the builds after 10.4.7.

Are you using actual Mac hardware? or did you build some Hackintosh
                      with a PC? If you did that, you can expect things to not work properly.
                      • 8. Re: Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X Tiger 1.4.7
                        Doc Raman Level 1
                        One quick note on the "Open using Rosetta" checkbox on applications.

This option ONLY shows up for applications on the Mac that are Universal Binaries (UB) - those that can run natively on MacIntel or on older PPC Macs.

Safari is that sort of program, so you will see the option for running with Rosetta.

Since Director MX 2004 is an older program (it won't run natively on MacIntel), so you WILL NOT see the option to run it under Rosetta - but it will automatically open in that mode.

I've been using Director on a MacIntel for a long time without any real problems (was under OSX 10.4, now on 10.5). As was stated earlier, I would also upgrade to the latest version of OSX on your Mac. Rosetta gets faster/less sluggish with each OSX update.