4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2008 2:52 PM by INVT

Animation doesn't loop

wizardchef Level 1
      I am a newbie to Flash and animation design. I have used a tutorial to build some animated text. The scene has 6 layers with some tweening, and all layers terminate on the 20th frame. It works fine when I "Test Movie" except it goes through one complete animation, then the scene goes blank for about twice the length of time of a single pass through the 20 frames of the animation, then it reappears and plays again. I tried putting "gotoAndPlay(1);" in the ActionScript (I'm using 2.0), but that didn't make any difference.

What is going on? I thought it would automatically loop if there is not script in the last frame.
        • 1. Re: Animation doesn't loop
          INVT Level 1
          sound like there are some empty frames alo9ng the timeline but without seeing the timlein I can't be sure.

Can you provide a link to a screen capture?
          • 2. Re: Animation doesn't loop
            wizardchef Level 1
            Yes, a high res JPEG is here: http://www.stokelynews.com/screen copy.jpg

I am simply trying to add some "twinkle" to this set of letters and have it loop endlessly without the blank space in time. I copied a technique found at:

http://www.flash-game-design.com/flash-tutorials/glitGraphic-flash-tutorial.html

Even putting a "stop()" in the 20th frame does not stop the looping with the long blank pause.
            • 3. Re: Animation doesn't loop
              wizardchef Level 1
              I got this thing to work. To make it work, I had to put the ActionScript in the first layerwhere the static text resides in the last frame . The instructions I was following up the ActionScript in a layer by itself.

Before I check "problem solved," invt, can you or someone tell me why this is true? I thought the Action Script would apply equally to all layers at that frame. ??????
              • 4. Re: Animation doesn't loop
                INVT Level 1
                Something just doesn't sound right. The action script does not care what layer its on as long as at that frame the key frame has the correct actions script. If it is a simple stop then it should stop.

After looking at the tutorial it looks like when you first created the first clip it had some empty frames some how.

I you got it to work try duplicating the problem by reversing the fix, so you know exactly what you did wrong.

I don't think it does you much good if you are not sure how it got fixed or why.

Glad you got it to work.

INVT

quote:

Originally posted by: wizardchef
                I got this thing to work. To make it work, I had to put the ActionScript in the first layerwhere the static text resides in the last frame . The instructions I was following up the ActionScript in a layer by itself.

Before I check "problem solved," invt, can you or someone tell me why this is true? I thought the Action Script would apply equally to all layers at that frame. ??????