Michele uninstall CC2019 and roll back to CC2018
Yes I'm planning on going back to CC2018 on my next projects, but I still work in a post house in NYC and we always upgrade to the new releases if they're available on the app. And now that I'm working on a project where other people are using 19, it's pretty impossible to just uninstall and roll back to 18, we have also greatly advanced our edits in 19 and with our deadlines and obligations to our projects it's pretty impossible to reassemble things again. This is no easy feat.
I just think if 2019 is still in a beta stage as i'm reading on this thread, it shouldn't be available on the Apps to install just yet? I've never had any issues with any adobe apps like this until now
"I just think if 2019 is still in a beta stage as i'm reading on this thread"
Erin the reference to Beta was when we were testing a while back. This is always the case where Beta versions are released to testers. CC2019 is long past Beta and is a final release. Adobe does NOT release BETA versions to purchase. The bugs being encountered are being looked at and addressed and hopefully will be rectified soon.
Hang in there all should stabilize soon
Thanks for this clarification. Yes be great if it could be cleared up! Thanks for your help Mo
Hey Mo - I did this...but still all red. This is why I updated to 2019 in the first place. With Premiere 2018 intact, I updated to the latest OS and I was fine for a week or so...then all of the sudden I'm in the red when it was once yellow.
Micehle what OS are you on?
Please don't say Mojave.
Endless issues with Adobe and Mojave. Safest is Sierra. I have tested a few of my Macs on High Sierra and Mojave but all my mission critical Macs are on Sierra.
I will sacrifice a little speed for reliability and stability
A half min more on a 30 sec render or 5 mins more on a 5minute timeline won't kill me but Mojave might lol
Yes. Mojave and I should have waited. I am in Premiere 2018 and I can still use the software and edit but timeline is red. Its slowing me down a bit...but the thought of uninstalling Mojave and going back to Sierra is daunting... I feel resolved... Just need to start the process or wait it out.
Solve this issue yet, MicheleD?