• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find the installed font on any Adobe CC programs.

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Recently I've installed this font called Iced Earth right here: Iced Earth Font | dafont.com

The reason I'm installing this because I'm working on a Logo Commission for a Client, and this font is requested.

The problem is, when I open any Adobe CC programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign it doesn't appear at all on the font list.

I tried it with another program called WordPad and it works just fine. But not with the Adobe programs..

I use Windows 8.1 and the font is a True Type (.ttf).

Is there a solution to this? If so, let me know!

I'll love to get this commission done as soon as possible.

Thanks!

- Sherif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The font in question, Iced Earth, is not a properly constructed font. Looking at its internals, it would appear that whoever “created” this font took a copy of Monotype's Arial font and hacked it up to replace certain glyphs (capital and lower case letters) with their own customized glyphs of the design which appears as Iced Earth. Various name fields within the font still indicate Arial as opposed to Iced Earth.

What is likely happening is that when Adobe applications encounter this font, they s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font in question, Iced Earth, is not a properly constructed font. Looking at its internals, it would appear that whoever “created” this font took a copy of Monotype's Arial font and hacked it up to replace certain glyphs (capital and lower case letters) with their own customized glyphs of the design which appears as Iced Earth. Various name fields within the font still indicate Arial as opposed to Iced Earth.

What is likely happening is that when Adobe applications encounter this font, they see it as a replacement for Arial or even better as a bogus font which it ignores.

In either case:

(1)     This appears to be a font of dubious legality since it is a hacked version of Monotype's Arial font including Monotype's ownership and copyright information. As a publishing professional, you don't want to be involved with use of such assets. And you would be legally responsible for use of this purloined asset.

(2)     If you looked at the comments on the daFont website for this font, you would see that at least one user of this font found that although the font installed, it messed up his web browser's ability to display content (presumably because this font took the place of the legal and proper Arial font.

Recommendation – Advise your client of the technical and legal issues with this font and request an alternative choice.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow, I didn't know about that.

Thanks for telling me about this, and I'll discuss it with my client about the whole thing. An alternative choice would be better though, and we do have one.

Luckily nothing happened to my browser's settings, despite the fact that I've installed the font myself. I best get it removed just to stay on the safe side.

But nonetheless, I appreciate your help and all the information that you provided me.

Thanks again!

Best.

- Sherif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to above, I would suspect the font design of the original logo to be protected by (c). It may be cool for a fan club but not necessarily for a commercial production.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines