Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K Monitor: slow UI / not realtime RAM Preview

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since working on a 4K monitor, After Effects UI is very slow and although the preview is fully cached to RAM, it does not play in real time.

I've read about a workaround for this issue, which also works for me: overwriting high dpi scale by the system. When using this option, it runs smooth and fast.

aesettings.JPG

But it makes the UI blurry and that's why I am looking for a better solution.

The not real-time RAM preview issue is solved by choosing the "Full Screen" preview option. But the very slow/choppy UI happens all the time when not using the previously mentioned setting.

Windows 10 latest Build 17134,472

Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @ 3.4GHz

RAM 32 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (latest Driver)

Monitor: AOC U3277PWQU

After Effects, Footage, and Cache on separate SSDs

I have tried to activate/deactivate Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels, with no impact on performance.

Any tips for this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Sorry about this issue, Thomas. Please upvote this bug report: BUG: Using a 4K monitor results in droping frames from RAM preview – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Half a year later, I have exactly the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about this issue, Thomas. Please upvote this bug report: BUG: Using a 4K monitor results in droping frames from RAM preview – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

This bug is 4 years old, since AE CC 2015. I still use CC 2014 because of that.

I (and many other people) repported many times this bug since then but nothing happened exept that Adobe stopped the support of CC 2014 and we no longer can install it from the Creative Cloud...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Using CC2014 is not even an option for me as I have to work back and forth with other people that are using the latest version.

And using AE as it is right now, I'd quicker get cancer than get things done. This effectively puts me out of work, due to software that I pay for. It's ridiculous, how Adobe seem to prioritize new features over plain usability.

I didn't even think that getting a 4K monitor would cause problems nowadays, they've been around for a while after all...

I've got 3840x2160, 27" display, running Windows, I have to scale it 150% as otherwise you'd be glued to it.

I think that has something to do with the sluggishness, also it seems directly related to the size of the timeline window.

If I shrink it down it's as snappy as on my 1920x1080 screen, but as soon as I get it to a size I can actually use it in, it just bogs down to a point it's unusable.

I'd name you in my will, if you could help me out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Okay, I've been messing with the timeline, size, position, whether it's docked or in a separate window.

So size does matter, despite what people say. But more importantly, I've switched off all the extra information, like parents, switches etc. off and it actually made a dramatic difference, and I can scale the timeline to what I want now and it still works reasonably snappy!

Switches and Parent & Link make the biggest impact on performance (I think the more space they take, the shittier the timeline gets).

So, with all this off, it's as good as on 1920x1080 screen. If this doesn't help you Adobe, then I don't know what will.

Minde

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Minde,

Disabling columns as you suggest doesn't work for me. The only workaround that works perfect is to minimize the AE window to about 70% of its full size and then the ram preview performs perflectly as with CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Sorry to hear that, mate!
I've tricked my AE into working reasonably well now, it's just that I have to switch those buttons, parenting off and on when I need them.

A bit of a hassle, but I can get work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 5k monitor. and 2019 AEcc.  There was a slow preview and turning off the Switches column solved the problem.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, the problem still exists. The performance is directly linked to screen real estate:

Small App Window and small Comp Viewer  => fast

Large App Window (4k) and large Comp Viewer => crawl

Win 10

128GB Ram

RTX 2080 Ti

Is this a Windows issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should not have to vote on bug fixes! If it is broke fix it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid this is how software companies work nowadays... I use other unrelated software which follows the same rules. They sell it as a fast paced development software where you can choose what gets implemented, but in reality if there's something broken they won't fix it until enough people think that it is actually a problem.

If you apply this to any other industry it would be unacceptable, but somehow it passes as good practices in software development.

Imagine buying a new car with a dashboard which will lag badly, which will turn on the headlights 30 seconds after you pressed the button, turn signals might turn on or not when you turn the lever... That's Adobe Motors for you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  I used to applaud Adobe for making great products at an affordable price. Those days ended once Adobe switched to the Creative Cloud. I have seen the Adobe programs get more an more bugs as time goes on. Rather than fix the bugs they should make a new editing program that has the best of Audition, Premiere Pro, After effects, Encore and Prelude. I say sell if for $4.99 a month. If Adobe makes a great product at a great price I will recommend it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact problem. GUI super slow on my 4K Monitor.
Adobe this is abysmal. Why can't you focus on stuff people really need.
Speed to get work done. Instead every version has more of this cloud library content crap.

That bug to vote up is from 2015 ... has 15 votes. Like that's going to help.

Weird enough my 3 years old 5K-panel iMac, that i left for PC a while ago doesnt have these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! This helped with AE 2019! Don't know if it fixed in AE 2020 because the new version is even slower for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. FKN After Effects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is still and issue 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's end of 2021 and Premiere and After Effects still won't  work on a 4K screen... sucks to live in the future. I'll buy a 1280x1024 screen to use for work instead...
I have a 12 core / 24 thread Xeon, 64GB of RAM, Fast SSDs, 1070GTX card... Can't edit a 4K movie.
Premiere and After Effects are supposed to help the creative process. They are instead raising my stress levels and getting in the way of creating content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same to me. Since 2014 I´m working with 4K and since that time Premiere is not able to play smooth 4K content on my 4K screen. FCPX and Resolve without any problems. How can this be??????

Mac Pro 2019 max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Keep in mind Premeire Pro is more expensive than FCPX and Resolve. Adobe should just make a new program that includes the best of Audition, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Prelude and Encore. The price should be $9.99 per month. I used to recommend Premire Pro back in the CS 6 days but not anymore. FCPX and Resolve are great products for less money. I still use Premiere Pro because it works better than the other NLEs with 3rd party hardware but the average person does not have the same hardware I have. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines