11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 8:15 AM by Zoë Woodworth

Gradient Tool No Worky

Tom_P.
      When I create a gradient and fill with it, sometimes the gradient transform tool works perfectly. Other times, I click on the gradient fill with the gradient transform tool and the gradient is selected as if I clicked it with the "Selection Tool."
      I can't get the gradient transform tool to give me any handles to adjust the gradient once applied.

Please advise.
      Regards,
      Tom

• 1. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
          FlashTastic Level 1
          Try zooming the stage to like 25% or less and then see if you see your handles.

Cheers,
          FlashTastic
          • 2. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
            Tom_P. Level 1
            Nope. Same issue, only I can see the gradient selected like I clicked it with the Select tool only 25% smaller smaller.
            • 3. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
              DougRoss
              What the heck is going on? I'm having the same problem! Any fix? I have a simple rectangle with a gradient and when I click on the gradient transform tool - nothing happens. I've tried everything imaginable. What the heck???
              • 4. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
                Level 7
                is the shape grouped or a drawing object?
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                --> Adobe Certified Expert
                --> www.mudbubble.com
                --> www.keyframer.com
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DougRoss wrote:
                > What the heck is going on? I'm having the same problem! Any fix? I have a
                > simple rectangle with a gradient and when I click on the gradient transform
                > tool - nothing happens. I've tried everything imaginable. What the heck???
                >
                >
                • 5. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
                  DougRoss Level 1
                  No, it's just a plain, old object.

The only way I could get it to work was to right-click on the object and do an "edit in place".

As far as I can tell, this is a major bug that a bunch of folks have run into. it directly contradicts the manual.

Thanks for the reply, though.

• 6. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
                    Level 7
                    DougRoss;
                    Not a bug--from your description I would also guess that you were in
                    "object drawing" mode, which in effect makes every shape into a grouped
                    object. Edit in place allows you to edit symbols groups without
                    ungrouping/breaking apart...
                    -Tom Unger

• 7. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
                      Level 7
                      wait - but that is what i asked - if you have to edit in place then it *is* a symbol and *not* the
                      raw art/gradient - you cant edit a gradient unless you are actually on the same level as tha actual
                      gradient - you are trying to edit the instance of the symbol as opposed to the symbol itself. Not a
                      bug - a bug is when something doesn't work the way it is supposed to - this was never a feature to
                      be able to edit a gradient from outside the symbol that contains it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      --> Adobe Certified Expert
                      --> www.mudbubble.com
                      --> www.keyframer.com
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DougRoss wrote:
                      > No, it's just a plain, old object.
                      >
                      > The only way I could get it to work was to right-click on the object and do an
                      > "edit in place".
                      >
                      > As far as I can tell, this is a major bug that a bunch of folks have run into.
                      > it directly contradicts the manual.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the reply, though.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
                        ckledzik
                        I'm having the same problem too. I've created a file that holds all these icons I've drawn in flash. I go to create a new one, and I cannot transform any gradients on my new drawing. It just looks like it's selecting the gradient. The new icon is not a symbol nor a group. It is located on the main stage, first layer. The other icons located on the same layer have been converted into their own symbols. Ideas?
                        • 9. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
                          Jeston
                          I'm having this same problem. We just upgraded to CS3 and now I will sometimes lose the handles on the gradient transform tool.
                          This has nothing to do with object drawing mode. It will happen to shapes (not symbols or groups) that already have gradient fills. Once it happens I can no longer edit any gradients on new shapes or existing ones.

I thought it was only happening on files with many layers, but the latest problem file only has 40 layers. I tried restarting, saving as Flash 8, saving with new filenames. Nothing works.

Help would be greatly appreciated
                          • 10. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
                            Zoë Woodworth

I'm having the exact same problem. At first I thought it was a CS4 bug, but I downgraded to CS3, same problem. Cut and pasted all layers to a new file, same problem. My gradient is on the main timeline, it's not a movie clip or symbol, and I'm not in drawing mode. I select the gradient and select the gradient transform tool, and I get a big fat nothing. SO ANNOYING. It's now 3 years after the original post and NO ONE has responded with a solution, what gives?

• 11. Re: Gradient Tool No Worky
                              Zoë Woodworth Level 1

Ok, FYI, I tried copying and pasting the artwork from my original file (in which the gradient transform tool was not working) into a new file bit by bit (instead of all at once). I discovered that there was one offending movie clip that, once I deleted that, the gradient transform tool started working again. What was wrong with this movie clip that made everything stop working? I'm not sure, but I'm just happy things are working again.