7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2008 11:09 AM by Newsgroup_User

Vista

Level 7
      I'm a little behind here...Is MX or MX 2004 compatible with Vista? If so
      are there any major issues? I've seen bits and pieces in my on-line
      searches but nothing definitive. In my search, I noticed that Director
      isn't even listed in Adobe's product page even after you click on "view all
      products"

Telling...

Is this new Director version that's "supposed" to be announced soon going to
      be Vista compatible?

• 1. Re: Vista
          Level 7
          The programs I have made and tested on Vista work pretty well. The main
          issues are with Vista's security model... if you make a program that
          writes to folders that you are not allowed to (like Program Files) or
          write to registry areas that you are not allowed (like
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE), then you will run into trouble and need to rework
          that stuff. As far as normal programs go, very few problems. The
          biggest I have had is an issue that happens intermittently with a 3d
          sprite (not DTS) that is set to be background transparent often has a
          red block behind it. But you can work around that by changing the
          renderer to OpenGL.

Adobe has not released much info about what will be in Director 11 when
          it comes out (hopefully soon!), but one of hte things they did say is
          that it would support Vista.
          • 2. Re: Vista
            Level 7
            Mike, I have a question. I have a Director game that saves game data to
            a folder at the same level as the exe. I distribute the game with an
            installer uses Program Files as the default location. Of course users
            can change it, but I doubt they do.

Does this mean there will be problems with Vista? I can see Vista
            blocking a program from writing to another programs folder, but why
            should it block the program from writing to it's own folder or subfolders?

Is there an easy way for users to allow the Program to write? Or am I
            better off changing the default install location to something else? I
            don't have Vista, so I can't test my game. Thanks
            • 3. Re: Vista
              Level 7
              Program Files is still the correct place to install software... but it
              is not the correct place to store the preferences for your software.

If the program is run with admin access then you CAN write to Program
              Files. If it does not have admin access, you can't. Even if you are
              logged in as Administrator, in order to actually have admin access, you
              need to put in a password. Due to a strange quirk in Vista, if your
              program has the word "setup", "install", or other related name as part
              of the filename, it will automatically assume that you will be needing
              admin access and prompt the user for the password. The normal way to
              force this dialog box is to add a manifest file (XML file in the same
              folder as the projector) that tells it what privilege level to use.

Anyway, back to point. According to Microsoft, it is a bad practice to
              write your prefs file in the program files folder (or any folder shared
              by multiple users). Each user should have their own prefs, and it should
              be stored in the user folder. buddyAPI has a good function to find the
              correct user folder - baSysFolder(). If you do that, then you will not
              have any troubles.

If you check out the BuddyAPI site, Gary (who wrote the xtra) has a very
              good writeup about how the Vista security system works and has pretty
              much all you need to know as a developer...

http://www.mods.com.au/budapi/vista.htm
              • 4. Re: Vista
                Level 7
                It's too bad software must constantly evolve. I know that sounds ignorant
                but Director does pretty much everything I need it to do and if there's
                something I think it can't I can usually find a solution somewhere. I
                realize that there are those who can't wait for a new version regardless of
                features because we've been brainwashed into thinking that a new version
                generally has exciting new features. Then there are those who have specific
                needs for development and can't wait to find out that a new version will do
                include a new feature that will allow them to follow through with a
                visionary idea.

But the fact is that, for me, it's just a matter of being aware of the
                notice of a new version of an OS with the hope that it will work with
                Director MX. I purchased 2004 but generally don't use it for the simple
                reason that it takes a lot longer to load. I suppose that's because of the
                addition of JavaScript but in any case I don't know or use JavaScript and
                haven't had a huge call for DVD development (that's not to say that that
                need isn't out there and that many are happy that DVD development is
                supported by Director 2004).

So anyway, I keep getting calls for projects that don't utilize the absolute
                latest features of Director and I get the biggest kick out of finding a
                solution to what at first seemed like an impossible request from my client.
                He or she never sees the cleverness behind what I present to them but that's
                ok because I had a ball creating it.

When all is said and done, everyone must see that Director just isn't a
                living thriving program that it once was. We all wish or deniably believe
                that that isn't true but one look at Adobe's web site will convince anyone.

Wow, can I digress...

Craig

"Mike Blaustein" <mblaustein@gmail.com> wrote in message
                news:479FA420.7050205@gmail.com...
                > The programs I have made and tested on Vista work pretty well. The main
                > issues are with Vista's security model... if you make a program that
                > writes to folders that you are not allowed to (like Program Files) or
                > write to registry areas that you are not allowed (like
                > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE), then you will run into trouble and need to rework
                > that stuff. As far as normal programs go, very few problems. The biggest
                > I have had is an issue that happens intermittently with a 3d sprite (not
                > DTS) that is set to be background transparent often has a red block behind
                > it. But you can work around that by changing the renderer to OpenGL.
                >
                > Adobe has not released much info about what will be in Director 11 when it
                > comes out (hopefully soon!), but one of hte things they did say is that it
                > would support Vista.

• 5. Re: Vista
                  Applied CD Level 1
                  Just a quick warning about baSystemFolder() … this function is passed a string or number and returns a path to the matching folder. It’s not a good idea to use myPrefPath = baSystemFolder(“prefs”) as this will always look for the Windows folder (which under Vista is off limits to apps), not the proper preferences folder. Under Vista the “prefs” argument still works because the OS virtualizes the path to a valid directory but it’s probably a good idea to ask for a valid directory in the first place. Mike pointed out an easy way to get a list of all available special folders in an earlier post: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=187&threadid=1317776
                  • 6. Re: Vista
                    Level 7
                    baSysFolder("prefs") is the appropriate place for putting preference
                    info on a Mac. Typically baSysFolder("personal") is the place for
                    Windows (all versions since Win95). That will default to My Documents
                    and you can make a subfolder there if you want.

baSysFolder("28") will give you the Application Data folder which is
                    hidden by default if you want.
                    • 7. Re: Vista
                      Level 7
                      I have a basic presentation that crashes with Vista, but runs fine on all
                      the XP laptops. If I leave it on the hold loop for more than 1/2 hour it
                      blue screens. I currently suspect its in combination with h264 quicktimes
                      while inside of Director.

"womp" <lingoforum@wordofmo.com> wrote in message
                      news:fno7ge$3gq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > I'm a little behind here...Is MX or MX 2004 compatible with Vista? If so
                      > are there any major issues? I've seen bits and pieces in my on-line
                      > searches but nothing definitive. In my search, I noticed that Director
                      > isn't even listed in Adobe's product page even after you click on "view
                      > all products"
                      >
                      > Telling...
                      >
                      > Is this new Director version that's "supposed" to be announced soon going
                      > to be Vista compatible?
                      >
                      >