4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2019 10:59 PM by ursboller

Entry Page and Hit Depth, Real-Case

H_L Level 1

Hello Experts,

Since I posted a thread:Why "entry page" cannot match "hit depth = 1"  and it is answered.

But I would like to ask a real case here to make it clear:

e.g., a visit as below:

Type URL > Landing on PageA > Click LinkB > Visit PageB > Search on Google (or type the URL) > Landing on PageC

1. What's the entry page of the visit? (PageA, or PageA and PageC)

2. What's the hit depth of pageC?

3. Will pageC get a count on its' entries as well? (if pageC get its Entries+1, will it be entry page?)

Reason:

I get following table: on our last level "content" page (like PageC), most them get "entries", but their hit-depth-1 pageviews are most 0, there are more than 500 pages  have same results.

So, i supposed, user explore and try to reach the page (like PageC) while exploring inside the website, but cannot find the link to the pageC, then, user eventually entrered the page from search engine or a external referrer or type URL.

Then, in above user path, the "content" page will get a "entries" +1, but the hit-depth is bigger than 1 since s/he has already explored some pages in the website before reach the "content" page.

So, it means, Entries of a page will +1 once it is viewed by a user from external website, but not only the first page of the visit, is it?

Is it correct?

But when I breakdown one example page by "traffic source", it looks like below:

I tried but don't really understand this situation.

May I have your comments to this?

Thank you.

H

• 1. Re: Entry Page and Hit Depth, Real-Case
          ursboller Experience Cloud MVP

"entries" can only occur once per visit, it is the firet time a value is captured during a visit (does not need to be hit 1). see Entries

what might be possible that the variable (t12) was set on the first hit (thus 1 entry) but it was not a page view (s.tl call like custom link tracking). maybe user waited on the page for more than 30 minutes (visit timeout) and then hit the link (link tracking as first hit on a new visit)

best bet to have a look at raw data ...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Entry Page and Hit Depth, Real-Case

change "pageviews" to "custom/download/exit link instances" and see if it was a s.tl call ...

• 3. Re: Entry Page and Hit Depth, Real-Case
              H_L Level 1

Thanks ursboller for the reply.

So, it does mean, in following example, PageC will never be counted as 1 "entries" although it is entered from "external website", like google. Is it?

Type URL > Landing on PageA > Click LinkB > Visit PageB > Search on Google (or type the URL) > Landing on PageC

1. What's the entry page of the visit? (PageA, or PageA and PageC)

2. What's the hit depth of pageC?

3. Will pageC get a count on its' entries as well? (if pageC get its Entries+1, will it be entry page?)

Thanks for your adivce as well, I will ask for the raw data and look into it.

• 4. Re: Entry Page and Hit Depth, Real-Case

unfortunatelly yes, page C will not show up as entry page.

the problem is that "entry page" is not really the page where a user landed from outside, it is the first page analytics recorded during a specific visit.

for entry/exit use the following explanation: if you would write all hits in an excel table (rows) having the pagename in one column. (as in your picture) then

entry page -> first value in the col

exit page -> last value in the col

does that help? read more about entry/exit here: Entries and Exits