• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

23.976 or 24 - Please help me understand.

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question 1:

When I drag my footage into the library it shows as 24fps. Should I be interpreting this as 23.976? Is there a difference?  

Question 1b:

Is it okay to interpret the 24 as 23.976 if I need to?

Question 2:

When I drag in my 60fps footage into the library its showing as 59.16.... Should I be interpreting this as 60 or will that mess me up?

Much appreciated!!

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a difference between 24 and 23.976 (aka 23.98).

Keeping it simple, 24 is the cinema standard, 23.976 is the broadcast equivalent.

It is important to use the correct frame rate in the production pipeline, as glitches can arise if you make an error.

It's not important which one you choose.  Just make sure all devices and settings use the same one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

60 is most often shorthand for 59.97.  The two terms are used interchangeably.

59.16 doesn't exist as a standard.  You may have some oddball footage there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. 24fps is what u see in cinemas. Its the "sweet spot"of frame rates that was developed decades ago. It gives the most "filmic" interpretation of movement. That nice soft, rich feel to

23.976 is used for broadcast quality and while the difference between the 2 looks negligible, when you view them side by side on a very large screen you WILL see the difference,. 23.976fps is used for tv broadcasts etc, not film.

2. Why are you interpreting footage? Is your main timeline 24fps? If yes then I would say yes, interpret the footage. Its important that your sequence frame rate and footage match one another for a seamless edit

3. 59.16fps? Thats a really odd frame rate. What was this shot on?

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines