I cannot consistently qualify for Target Activities as I intermittently get a CORS issue (and it seems to happen more and more frequently now). It is also happening to other co-workers as well.
We have tried wiping cookies and cache, different/new browsers, and incognito – both inside and outside the firewall. And I have checked with our systems team and they said nothing should be blocking on our side.
We are on at.js v1.5 delivered through DTM.
I keep getting this when trying to qualify for activities:
Is there a simple fix/explanation for this - I keep trying to reference Cross Origin documentation and issues, but nothing seems provide guidance towards applying something quickly.
@brandone31948886 Thank you for writing in!
I believe this is related to the [Ongoing Issue] Performance issue with Adobe Target.
Please subscribe to the incident open on Adobe Status and let us know if you experience the issue once the ongoing incident is resolved.