2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2008 12:47 AM by tinylion_uk

RSL cache

tinylion_uk Level 2
      just a quick question referencing a couple of lines from the Flex 3 Help.

the following quote:

"Standard RSLs are stored in the Browser's cache."

I was under the impression that RSL were to be stored in a Flash player cache, were they would be safe from Browser 'clear cache functions'. Is this not the case. Is it, as the document states, stored in the standard browser cache?

thanks
        • 1. RSL cache
          cxf02 Level 1
          Here is an exerpt from the Using the framework RSLs...
          About the Player cache
          The Player cache stores signed RSLs, such as the framework RSLs. You can manage the settings of the Player cache with the Settings Manager. The use of the RSLs in the Player cache is secure; no third party can inject code that will be executed. Only Adobe can sign RSLs; therefore, only Adobe RSLs can be stored in the Player cache.

So "signed" RSL's are allowed in the Player Cache, and only Adobe can create "signed" RSL's. The standard RSL's are what you the developer create, and deploy. These are kind'a like what dll's do for windows, they allow dynamically linked code (runtime linking) to be shared amongst applications. It's pretty sophisticated and gives me a little "tingle" when I think about where we can take the web with this technology. Also, the user can limit what signed RSL's are stored in the ActiveX (Player/Plugin) by right clicking on the player and setting the limits ( http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help02.html#117135 )

Hope this helps, I'm trying to understand more about RSL's myself, to get past a little error I'm experiencing, and I ran across your post.

Cheers,
          Text Text
          • 2. Re: RSL cache
            tinylion_uk Level 2
            thanks mate.