3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2019 2:00 PM by Abambo

Lagging and slow Premiere Pro

NiekH

I use Premiere Pro with my:

Macbook Pro 2018 22 GHz Intel Core 2.2

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM with Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

When I'm using effects or when I'm rendering the timeline, Premiere Pro becomes laggy, very slow and sometimes it freezes. What could be the cause of this?

My Macbook has 256 GB storage and I have enough storage left.

Hope to hear from you soon!

• 1. Re: Lagging and slow Premiere Pro
          Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Premiere Pro CC

• 2. Re: Lagging and slow Premiere Pro
            R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't tell if that is a 2-core or 4-core machine, but ... it's got a pretty small capability CPU it seems. Low-ish on RAM also. You just don't have enough horsepower there for playback after doing much editing or adding of effects.

So ... you will need to become good at using the Proxy process. Go into the help files and check up on making and using proxies. For that rig, stay with the Cineform proxies but of small frame-size.

Neil

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lagging and slow Premiere Pro
              Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Lowish on RAM needs context: A few years ago, 16Mb was enough to run a high end program like Premiere Pro, but since then there have been a lot of modifications to both the OS and the programs, not to speak about the codecs who grew in complexity. 4Gb which was at the time the low end now is just enough to run the OS. 16 Gb is now a mid sized machine running high end office programs. 32Gb is the entry level for demanding video and scientific jobs. 64 Gb is OK for high end memory intensive jobs.

Needless to say that when you get better on one end, you need also to increase the power of the other end. Even if you say that your system has 256Gb of SSD has still disk space free, where are your videos located?

2 people found this helpful