• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SLOW Lightroom and non-functional Photoshop after most recent CC update

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else experiencing issues on Windows?  It's been a week since I was last able to open NEF (raw) photos in Photoshop from Lightroom to successfully edit them.  Lightroom is very, very slow to being with.  When Photoshop finally loads the photos, I cannot add layer masks or use Liquify, to name two examples.  Photoshop does work fine IF you open it from outside to work on JPG files. 

It is super frustrating to pay for a service that gets repeatedly "broken" after Creative Cloud updates. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to other photographers, and yes, they are reporting similar issues.  Is Adobe aware of the problem with the latest update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off

This is an Internet Forum, an online place to converse on a common subject. This is not a support page. Mostly just customers sharing information and advice. Rarely will you find an Adobe employee responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now as to your issue with Photoshop not working correctly when sent image(s) from Lightroom Classic Cc.

This is a known problem with the latest Photoshop update, Hopefully it might get fixed in the next update. None of the members of this Forum know.

It is now seen as a very old issue, repeatedly brought up in this forum. I will count to ten, Ok.

Three workarounds, I will list them from probably most tolerable (note I did not say acceptable, or desirable),

1. In PS, in preferences, disable the home screen

or

2. Start PS before sending it image(s) from LR

or

3. Degrade PS back one version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the steps.  I have been using CC Lr+Ps for over 3 years and never had any issues bringing files from the former to the latter (perhaps I have missed those updates?).  My hardware specs have remained constant over the past year (i7, 32GB, 2GB video, SSD hds). From my perspective as a user, it seems that Lightroom's performance slows down every few updates, which is not ideal but can be dealt with while we await for a new update that addresses whatever "improvements" they had made.  Losing Photoshop last week impacted my ability to perform work.  This is why I turned to this forum.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your specs are ok. Switch off the GPU in Lr except if you have high res screens (4k+).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Abambo!

I turned it off a while ago when Lightroom "first" became slow (not this time).  This is what I have:

Oh, and I have been turning on/off the using smart previews instead of originals as well.  It doesn't seem to help.  Let me know if you see anything else that needs changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The smart previews definitively improve speed, because Lr does not need to load the full res image in memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now as to your much worse issue, performance.

First many members will request you accomplish the following as a baseline. Note that this is a tried and true procedure that eliminates arguments.

In LR, click on Help, click on System Information, click on Copy. Paste results in a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

luzye_photo  wrote

Lightroom is very, very slow to being with. 

I have several computers. My computer at work configured by IT is super slow on everything. May computers at home, nominally weaker, are fast enough -- I would not say lightning fast with Lightroom, that would be a lie, but fast enough for working with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, everyone, for your replies and insight.  In my frustration in needing to have a functional Photoshop, I used Windows System Restore.  Now Lightroom won't work (load) at all.  I will uninstall it and reinstall it later today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I undid the System Restore and applied the newest update for Photoshop (which was not there yesterday).  That solved the issue!  I can open NEF files from Lightroom into Photoshop and apply layer masks, use Liquify, etc as usual.  It looks like I now have 2 versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines