12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 5:06 PM by Faisca1978

Font problems in flash

mac_55
      I'm using flash CS3 on OSX and I'm having real issues with fonts I've installed not being visible in flash. I can see them in Photoshop, but not flash. I'm really confused, any ideas? (The fonts are all .ttf)

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Font problems in flash
          aniebel Level 2
          Fonts are not Flash's strong suit. There are a couple of things you can try but even then, some fonts just do not work in Flash. One thing I've noticed is that if fonts are activated while Flash is open, they will not show up until Flash is restarted. Another thing you can try is to clear your font cache. Some font management programs offer a tool to do this. Otherwise, try Font Finagler
          • 2. Re: Font problems in flash
            mac_55 Level 1
            Tried that. No luck unfortunately :(
            • 3. Re: Font problems in flash
              Level 7
              >>Fonts are not Flash's strong suit.

I wouldn't say that. The reason not all fonts appear is that not all fonts
              contain outlines, and so cannot be embedded.

--
              Dave -
              Head Developer
              http://www.blurredistinction.com
              Adobe Community Expert
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 4. Re: Font problems in flash
                JoeLongstreet
                Another seperate font issue - When I set up a dynamic text box I can control the font and the size, but the bold/italics options do not carry over into the text box. What's the reasoning behind this?
                • 5. Re: Font problems in flash
                  JoeLongstreet Level 1
                  Another separate font issue - When I set up a dynamic text box I can control the font and the size, but the bold/italics options do not carry over into the text box. What's the reasoning behind this?
                  • 6. Re: Font problems in flash
                    aniebel Level 2
                    Compared to other design applications, Flash is far behind when it comes to ease of use with fonts. If I have to restart an application after activating a font in order for it to appear in the menu, something's wrong.
                    • 7. Re: Font problems in flash
                      aniebel Level 2
                      Joe, can you describe how you set up your dynamic text field? For instance, was it created with actionscript or did you create it in the authoring environment? Did you set it up for HTML? How are you applying the bold and italic?
                      • 8. Font problems in flash
                        JoeLongstreet Level 1
                        Whenever I create a dynamic text area within flash's authoring environment I am able to control the font properties within the properties palette. The sizing and font choices always works but the bold and italics options do not work. It is not set up for HTML.

If you're a person that works at Adobe I got one more unrelated complaint for you. I'm using Mac OS X with Flash CS3. I'll temporarily leave flash (eg. to look up stuff on the internet, use text pad, go into any other software application), and then I come back into Flash and my actions panel is open and ready to go, just how I left it. The cursor is even blinking, just begging me to type in some text. Then I fall for it, I start typing and the authoring environment is selected, not my actions panel. Very minor issues, but it kinda bothers me. Hopefully I get some back up on this one.

Joe
                        • 9. Re: Font problems in flash
                          Walter Elias Level 2
                          quote:

Originally posted by: JoeLongstreet
                          Another separate font issue - When I set up a dynamic text box I can control the font and the size, but the bold/italics options do not carry over into the text box. What's the reasoning behind this?

I believe that the reason for this is that the bold and italic versions of any font are actually separate TTF files, and you can only embed one font file at a time into a dynamic text box. Other apps like Photoshop enable you to appy faux formatting that works within the program itself. It would be nice if Flash would support this too.
                          • 10. Re: Font problems in flash
                            Erik Oberhausen
                            Bumping this thread, since it seems to be the longest discussion regarding font aggravations in Flash CS3.

Trying unsuccessfully to get Helvetica Neue Bold to show up in Flash. It shows up fine in Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Illustrator CS3, Adobe InDesign CS3, as well as any other non-Adobe application I have bothered to try. I also have to echo the request, that it would be reeeeaaalllly nice to have the fonts listed by their families, like all the other Adobe products rather than scattered all through the menu. Anyone from Adobe, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Now on to working on getting this font to show up in Flash, rather than working on my project. :(
                            • 11. Font problems in flash
                              mrkgreene
                              I installed FontAgent Pro 4 and my font came up. Nothing else I have tried ALL DAY TODAY has worked. I don't work for the company and I don't have any axe to grind. My font, a comic book font called ccJoeKubert is now visible in Flash and available in my font pull down menu.

http://www.insidersoftware.com/products.php

There's a demo version. I kid you not.

• 12. Re: Font problems in flash
                                Faisca1978 Level 1

I totally feel for you, Erik_Oberhausen, I have the same problems and frustrations. I even took my iMac to the Apple store to see if they could fix it and, unfortunately, they couldn't.

Created a new admin account and was able to see some of my missing fonts back, but not all. Some are still missing and are not coming back no matter what I do.

I will call Adobe tomorrow and will hope they can help. This is very frustrating, as I'm spending more time trying to figure this out rather than working on actual projects.

Btw, I'm running Flash CS4...

Cheers,

Natalia