• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Illustrator opening an old version of my file?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is opening an older version of the file I was working on. There's definitely only one file (not opening an earlier version I saved somewhere else or anything) so I am opening the correct one.

When I close it, the thumbnail of the file is the correct version under "Recent", but when I try and open it from there, it's the older version again.

I know I saved it correctly because I've quit and reopened it the other day and it was all correct. Today however is a different story..

Super frustrating, I hope someone can help me.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

azip13  schrieb

I guess my desktop does sync with the iCloud (I'm running MacOS 10.14.3 beta) but I'm not entirely sure how to differentiate where the newer version of the file would be.

a beta system might be another issue. Illustrator is not yet tested on it so nobody knows what possible issues might be. I suppose you have access to Apple's bugbase, so this incident would definitely be something to report there. Also please post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

The issue with synching is that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the system the thumbnail is either taken from the PDF part of the file or it is saved as a picture inside the file.

Please tell us what happened when you last edited the file. Did Illustrator crash? Show you some weird dialog boxes? Where did you save your file? On a server?

Do you have a backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing had happened. Just ended up quitting when I was done.

And I'm not aware of having a backup, I'd just been working with the one file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

azip13  schrieb

And I'm not aware of having a backup, I'd just been working with the one file.

That is an issue in itself. You hould always make backups.

Where do you save your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm realizing this now haha. Rookie move.

I always just save everything to my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your desktop synchronized by anything? Illustrator has issues with some synchronizing tools.

Also you didn't tell us your system - are there perhaps spaces, mutliple desktops set up or whatever tool Apple has to offer?

What did likely happen was that Illustrator could save the PDF part of the file, but didn't correctly save the AI part.

You can make it open the PDF part of the file by creating a new file and placing the problem file in that (embed). Then ungroup, release clipping masks etc. Issue with that is that effects and any live artwork gets expanded. So you might just want to use this to retrieve the missing parts and copy those into the AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my desktop does sync with the iCloud (I'm running MacOS 10.14.3 beta) but I'm not entirely sure how to differentiate where the newer version of the file would be.

I embedded the problem file in a new file, ungrouped and released all clipping masks but it just looks the same. Did I do something incorrectly?

I really appreciate your help with all this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

azip13  schrieb

a beta system might be another issue. Illustrator is not yet tested on it so nobody knows what possible issues might be. I suppose you have access to Apple's bugbase, so this incident would definitely be something to report there. Also please post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

The issue with synching is that in some situations it throws off Illustrator completely. This includes different synching apps and services on Windows and Mac. For some they work, for some they don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as AZIP13 and I can't recover my file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue too. Saved the file and shut down my laptop. This morning, it's showing the right image in the recents thumbnail but when I open it it's all clipped into the artboard and all my logo iterations are lost. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mara from DT  schrieb:

I'm having the same issue too. Saved the file and shut down my laptop. This morning, it's showing the right image in the recents thumbnail but when I open it it's all clipped into the artboard and all my logo iterations are lost. 

Illustrator has opened the PDF part of the file. THis is a sign that your file got corrupted. Where did you save it? On a network server?

ALso: Turn off "Save in background" in the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved it to my local storage. It's on my laptop (MBP 2019), no backups yet. What can I do? All the logos I created are lost then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are probably lost. Maybe @Anshul_Saini  can help? 

Sometimes in some rare cases they can recover files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Mara from DT,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're facing with your Illustrator file. If it shows the correct image in the thumbnail but opens with clipping and missing logo iterations, this indicates that the file might be corrupted, as Monika said.

This generally happens when AI Private data is removed/ corrupted due to interruption at saving. Hence, you see the PDF data, which is stored on the main Artboard. Anything outside the Artboard area on other artboards gets corrupted. What you are seeing is the recovered PDF data.

The recovery options might be limited since you saved it to your local storage and have no backups. However, as Monika suggested, please share the file with me, and I will take a look at it.

In the future, it's a good practice to regularly back up your important design files to prevent such data loss incidents.

Best regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Anshul_Saini,

Thanks a bunch. I get it now.

I guess I wasn't intentional with the backups as I've never had a similar problem, but I'll keep more backups going forward. 

Heres the file, I hope it's salvageable. 

Gratitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anshul_Saini --> 

For some reason, I can't attach the file. Here it is on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ihp81cpNfJumS_jBTFrj2Qz4uXCbBBk/view?usp=share_link 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not look that this was created in Illustrator : Vectornator is the creator and iOS created the pdf version.

Maybe go back to the Vectornator version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton Frederiks yeah it was originally created there. I exported the vectornator file to Ai then cleaned up the line work in AI and created additional lockups and more logo options out of the canvas, then saved the AI file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That saving as .ai file has not worked otherwise the creating application would have become Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean it's not salvageable? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe @Anshul_Saini can do something with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I attempted to recover the file, but unfortunately, I was unable to salvage it, @Mara from DT.  The data loss that occurred outside of the artboard area is generally irreparable, and it's a common limitation when dealing with corrupted Illustrator files.

I understand this can be a challenging situation, and I'm sorry that I couldn't provide a more positive outcome. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines