Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Develop/Library mode not correlating

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Lightroom-

When I am in Develop mode editing a photo and then switch over to library mode, the photo doesn't look the way it was edited.

Would someone please advise, super frustrating.

Thank you kindly, Ashley

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am in Develop mode editing a photo and then switch over to library mode, the photo doesn't look the way it was edited.

Can you give some more detail?

Perhaps post a couple of screenshots showing what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 12.50.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 12.49.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First picture in Library mode

Second picture in Develop mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On first glance they look identical. What are you seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colors also seem to become little more enhanced and in Library mode. Making it appear overly edited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice the clouds for instance- Develop one is soft and creamy- Library one is grainy and textured - which is the one that becomes saved when I export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Library and Develop modules use different color spaces.

See if this helps How to manage color in Lightroom Classic CC

Do you calibrate and profile your monitor?

Lightroom color issue Develop vs Library modules: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you confirm if Im looking at the right setting page?

IMG_2514.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At what magnification are you viewing the image? And what magnification were the screenshots created at?

When evaluating (and applying) noise and sharpening, you must view the image at 1:1. Any other view will be inaccurate and misleading because the image has been scaled.

So do you see a difference when viewing at 1:1?

I have posted crops of your first two screenshots below, at 100%.

The first one (from Library) has color artifacts in the sky that looks like jpg compression artifacts. Is the image a jpg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typically edit all photos in the fit magnification. I didn't realize 1:1 was needed for noise and sharpening; Im very new to Lightroom and editing for that matter.

Those screenshots were exported as a JPEG- yes- but I edit all pictures in RAW

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what do you see when you view the image at 1:1 in Library and Develop?

Is there still a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its better for sure. But will that transfer over when I go to export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as long as you view the exported image at 1:1 (100%)

I might be able to give you some more advice if you post a screenshot of the entire Lightroom window with the image of the cross and sky open in Develop at 1:1 (with the noisy area around the cross visible), and with the Histogram and the Basic and Detail panels expanded and visible.

All these panels might not be visible on your screen without scrolling, so post separate screenshots of the panels if required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I check if it's at 100% on 1:1?

Here is another picture with the all the tools visibleScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 4.32.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 4.32.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 4.33.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 4.37.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 4.37.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You choose magnification in the Navigator on the left hand side of the screen.

If you don't see any panels there, press F7.

LR-navigator.png

Please confirm whether the screenshots you posted are at 1:1 or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some comments on your edits:

• For a well exposed image at ISO 100, no Luminance noise reduction should be necessary. And 100 is an extremely high setting, and will ruin most images, in particular sharpness will suffer, and the image gets a "plasticky" look. It's possible that the noise reduction is causing the artifacts you see in Fit view in Library. Todd Shaner​ knows more about this than I do.
  • You have a lot of chromatic aberrations (magenta and green outlines along sharp edges) like on the church tower and cross.
    Checking Remove Chromatic aberrations in the Profile tab in the Lens correction panel should fix it.
  • The blue overlay in the black areas of the image is a shadow clipping warning, and can be turned off by pressing J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/e.+ashleyg24181793  wrote

Here is another picture with the all the tools visible

In addition to good suggestions I'll also add that your Basic panel Tone adjustments may be contributing to the differences you're seeing in the Develop and Library module previews. In general it's best to keep the the Highlights and Shadows settings equal and opposite such as -50 Highlights and +50 Shadows. Also keeping Whites in the positive setting region (or 0) and Blacks in the negative or 0 region works best. Using extreme maximum settings (-100) is not recommended or necessary. More on the Basic panel Tone control settings adjustment , which you can download here:

Dropbox - Lightroom Classic CC Basic Panel Tone Control Adjustment Procedure .pdf

said, "It's possible that the noise reduction is causing the artifacts you see in Fit view in Library. Todd Shaner knows more about this than I do."

As already mentioned extreme settings can cause the Develop and Library module <1:1 previews (Fit, Fill, 1:16, etc.) to look different. This is primarily due to the Develop module using a less accurate and faster nearest neighbor interpolation and the Library module the more accurate and bicubic interpolation for preview generation. This is done to because the Develop module requires real-time preview updates of control adjustments so you can see their effect onscreen.

The Develop module also uses 16 bit/color live image data and ProPhoto RGB color space. The Library module uses 8 bit/color data and the smaller Adobe RGB color space JPEG preview files. This is done to help prevent banding or posterization in the Library module preview, but as you're seeing it doesn't always prevent it. Following the Basic Panel Tone Control Adjustment Procedure and suggestions should help to prevent these artifacts.Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so helpful! Little over my head but I'm slowly understanding all the lingo   . Thanks a million to you and Per Berntsen ​ for all your help. I really appreciate it! Baby steps, I'll get there..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd Shaner​-- is the basic panel control settings adjustment link you sent able to be applied to Lightroom Classic CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Develop module uses a different preview architecture from ALL other modules so do not expect 100% visual match to the other's depending on several factors.

As others have stated, you MUST view both modules at 1:1 (100%) or greater to inspect precise color rendering. Zooming out will sub sample pixels to show you this zoomed out view and between that and the differences in how the two modules preview data, that can produce subtle but visual differences.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. When you specify, 1:1 "100%"- where do I check the percentage on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines