• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding fountain spray to a photo

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am much more familiar with Adobe Illustrator than Photoshop so I'm looking for some tips on how to add a fountain/water spray into a photograph. I will attach one of the water sprays I have that I hope can be used. And a screenshot of the photograph where I'd like to apply it. Please walk me through the steps to make a natural fit for this effect, if possible. Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 7.50.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 7.50.57 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the couple to a new layer and place above the fountain layer

Set the fountain layer to Screen

I removed the white border from the fountain because it would have shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my mind.  There is an edge with the fountain set to screen

So I Ctrl clicked the layer to load as a selection

Added a layer mask

Unlinked the mask from the layer.

Free Transform mask to make it smaller than the layer, and feathered the edge in Mask properties.

Edge gone

You could set the fountain layer to Lighten, but you loose the top half of the spray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You look again at something  like this, and you realise that something is missing.  Where is that water going? It goes up, so it has to come down again (unless it is Kinder Downfall)

So copied the fountain layer, and free transformed to invert vertically, make it wider, warp to give the falling water a curved path, and masked a hole through the middle to let the original layer through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Trevor !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, Trevor.Dennis​!

How strong was that wind at Kinder Downfall that the waterfall went UP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you'd call Kinder Scout a mountain.  It is only 636 metres high, and as you can see from the topo map below, the top is almost flat.  The prevailing wind comes from the west, and hits the bluff that extends about three kilometres but with that pronounced cleft, so funnelling the wind to ever greater speeds.  I've walked it several times, and with the conditions like in the video, it would be difficult to stand close to the waterfall.   So this is a guess, but at least 40MPH I'd say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I don't know if you'd call Kinder Scout a mountain.  It is only 636 metres high, ...So this is a guess, but at least 40MPH I'd say.

I have been in many hill vs. mountain discussions, Trevor — at 2087 feet (636 meters), I would go with “hill”. The power of the wind never ceases to amaze me, and this is high on the awesome factor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines